Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

weezinthejuice
03-24-09, 11:26 AM
Recently, I was mowing my yard when my neighbor came out into his driveway and began to videotape me mowing. Although I was not doing anything illegal or illicit, I became really upset, even telling him that it was illegal to video record anyone without their permission, privately or otherwise.

Is it true that if you record someone in public, they have the right to call the police if you are not givin permission to record them? I would assume its legal for security reasons if they are security cameras installed on your property, but isnt recording people with a handheld for ANY reason illegal in public without permission? Could someone press charges for that?

txinvestigator1
03-24-09, 12:02 PM
I don't know in what state you are, but I'll go out on a limb and say it is perfectly legal. It is in Texas.

Citicop
03-24-09, 12:04 PM
No, it's not illegal.

If you are in a public place, you have no expectation of privacy. If you are in public, then anyone can record you at any time. It's how the paparazzi and news media get a lot of their footage.

Citicop.

manahmanah
03-24-09, 03:46 PM
^^^^^As was said above^^^^^ When you are in public, you have no expectation of privacy.

weezinthejuice
03-24-09, 08:13 PM
does being on YOUR OWN private property make it the same as public? If I were on MY property minding my own business, that isnt illegal? What if somebody was in their backyard nude tanning, if you record them isnt that an invasion of privacy?

retdetsgt
03-24-09, 08:19 PM
does being on YOUR OWN private property make it the same as public? If I were on MY property minding my own business, that isnt illegal? What if somebody was in their backyard nude tanning, if you record them isnt that an invasion of privacy?

If you can be seen from the public street or sidewalk, you have no right to privacy.

If that person comes onto your property, that's illegal. But as long as they are on public property or their own, they can do it.

If you are nude in your back yard and I can see you from the public propery or my own, then how could you expect to not be seen? If I can see, I can record. Police have to deal with that everyday.

Sgt. Slaughter
03-24-09, 09:19 PM
There's a reason it's called "public," my man. Cops face the same issues on a daily basis.

Nice screen name. Although it should have been "weezing the JU-uice!!!!!!" ;)

Legoate
03-24-09, 10:32 PM
But more importantly...lets get back to the nude sunbathing.....

chiefhuntr
03-25-09, 01:30 AM
While you were mowing your lawn, was it at odd hours, were you puffin the dragon? Was there anything odd about you mowing. Does your neighbor have a thing for you? Was your neighbor nude while filming you. :eek:All very interesting parts to the puzzle.

txinvestigator1
03-25-09, 02:43 AM

If you can be observed by others without looking thru the slats, etc, you would be arrested.

Or are you a hot chick?

BP348
03-26-09, 01:24 AM
Next time go get your camera and you can record your neighbor