Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

maryarlington
03-12-09, 12:33 PM
PennDot send me a registration card, but there was no "sticker" in the envelope. I called and they said they mailed it, but I never got it! They told me to either mail it back in with an MV-44 (for free) and it could take 3 weeks, or go to an autotag place and have it immediate ($35). I just lost my job, so $35 for a sticker that is not my fault is kinda steep...Do you think I can keep a copy of the MV-44 in my glovebox in case I get pulled over? Would that be ok? I don't want a big fine, but I also sent this in MONTHS ago and the DMV has been non-responsive.

A friend also told me that my local state rep can hand deliver it to the DMV in Harrisburg just to make sure it gets there.

What do you think, as a police officer?

Samuel
03-12-09, 12:59 PM
If PA is like CA where you are required to display current registration stickers, yes you can get pulled over and yes you may receive a citation.

ParadeRest
03-12-09, 01:01 PM
Where I work, I see more PA plates than NY plates. When I come across a PA tag that looks expired, I always run it first. If it checks out, I proceed along; if it is expired or I can't check due to a poor signal or whatever, I am allowed to pull you over and check out your papers.

As far as I know, there is nothing here in New York that I can write you for if your registration is actually valid but you don't have the proper sticker; a PA cop can chime in as to local laws there.

JRT6
03-12-09, 04:35 PM
Ohio has validation stickers on their plates too and writing a ticket for a missing sticker on an otherwise valid plate is as chicken **** as one could get. The court would likely drop the charge too.

retdetsgt
03-12-09, 04:39 PM
I used to stop everyone with an expired sticker, but not because I cared about writing the ticket. Registration costs are dirt cheap in Oregon so there is no excuse not to renew your plates. People that don't bother generally don't bother to take care of other things in their lives, like arrest warrants. At least one out of four or five stops like that turned up someone wanted.

I wouldn't have written someone for not displaying a valid sticker, especially if they had a current registration, but a lot of people will.

RoadDog1905
03-12-09, 05:58 PM
I'm a Pennsylvania State Trooper. Have I stopped people for an expired registratio sticker or no registration sticker? You bet. Do I stop everyone with an expired sticker? No. Have I ever written anyone without a sticker? No, at least, not for the actual sticker violation (some suspended license citations in there though).

If you are stopped, calmly explain what happened. Let the officer know that you've sent in for a new one (the MV-44 forms are on the PennDOT website and we keep copies at the PSP Barracks too). If the officer does cite you, I'd recommend you take a hearing and tell a judge. I would be surprised if someone cited you, but it is certainly not impossible and I'm sure it has happened before.

And keeping a copy of the MV-44 won't hurt your cause.

Jay7376
03-12-09, 05:59 PM
Would I pull you over?

Absolutely

Would I write you a citation?

Highly unlikely

Ispbear
03-13-09, 11:55 PM
Ohio has validation stickers on their plates too and writing a ticket for a missing sticker on an otherwise valid plate is as chicken **** as one could get. The court would likely drop the charge too.

I've written people for not having their stickers on their plates. Sorry but if you have been driving around for 10 months with the sticker still in your glovebox because you've been to lazy to slap a sticker on your plate I'm not going to feel sorry for you. I don't write them all, but when I stop someone and they tell me that they have just been to busy to get it done and it has been months. Then sign by the X.

In your case, you might get stopped but I would suspect that if you explain what happened you will be ok.

Blackgoat06
03-14-09, 02:42 AM
That's impossible, PennDOT doesn't make mistakes...

JRT6
03-14-09, 09:41 AM
I've written people for not having their stickers on their plates. Sorry but if you have been driving around for 10 months with the sticker still in your glovebox because you've been to lazy to slap a sticker on your plate I'm not going to feel sorry for you. I don't write them all, but when I stop someone and they tell me that they have just been to busy to get it done and it has been months. Then sign by the X.

In your case, you might get stopped but I would suspect that if you explain what happened you will be ok.

In your instance I would be annoyed, in Ohio nobody reads the instructions and stick the stickers all of the place, but I would use it as an opportunity to have the person take the sticker out of the glovey, put it on the right way, and drive away thinking the nice cop let them off. If the sticker is expired then it is expired and they get a ticket if it's over a couple of weeks. The highway patrol pinches and TOWS the car on one day expirations (at least that's what former commander Healy told me). We got one little ticket nazi who pinched a guy who's drivers license was litteraly expired for one hour( 0100hrs.). He was an immigrant and his DL didn't expire on his BD like everyone elses'.

I got no problem stopping for no sticker but in Ohio the plates on ghetto sleds are allways squared away and registered to an 80 year old man, no matter who is driving:confused:

JakeLock
03-14-09, 02:42 PM
Some interesting responses. The sarge's responses is about the closest to what we do up here as well. However we can and sometimes do write a cite for failure to display hich is a fairly blanket code about where the plate needs to be how it's affixed, where the tag on the plate is and even if your registration is current we can still write for the failure to display.

Blackgoat06
03-14-09, 03:03 PM
A little side note too for the OP and any other PA resident reading this. It is also illegal to have the sticker anywhere on the plate other than the top left corner of the plate where this is an indentation. That is there for a reason people use some common sense.

ParadeRest
03-14-09, 05:25 PM
A little side note too for the OP and any other PA resident reading this. It is also illegal to have the sticker anywhere on the plate other than the top left corner of the plate where this is an indentation. That is there for a reason people use some common sense.

Best I saw was a guy who had the last five years of stickers on all four corners and the current one square in the middle. It was an exercise of the mind.

SnapShawt
03-14-09, 06:09 PM
Would I pull you over? Absolutely. Would I stroke you for it? Depends.

Blackgoat06
03-15-09, 02:29 AM
Best I saw was a guy who had the last five years of stickers on all four corners and the current one square in the middle. It was an exercise of the mind.

I've seen it too...I love when people try to be cute but they aren't.