Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

crazy152
03-09-09, 01:45 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if it is illegal for a 17 year old boy and a 13 year old girl to be dating in Iowa. I have checked into Statutory Rape laws for Iowa and it looks like the only thing illegal would be Sexual Abuse in the Third-degree. So if the 17 year old turned 18 they could still date legally if they didn't participate in sex acts of any kind. Can anyone tell me if that is correct ? I have included the info i found for statutory rape in Iowa below. Also, By law what is all considered a sex act ?

Thanks,
Anonymous

Taken From STATUTORY RAPE LAWS BY STATE
Iowa
709. 4
Third-degree sexual abuse to perform a sex act on another person, not his spouse, who is (1) age 12 or 13 or (2) age 14 or 15 if the actor is five or more years older.

retdetsgt
03-09-09, 01:48 PM
What does a 17 year old see in a 13 year old middle school kid? I think that issue ought to be addressed....:confused:

crazy152
03-09-09, 01:55 PM
What does a 17 year old see in a 13 year old middle school kid? I think that issue ought to be addressed....:confused:

Well, she is a kind caring person. She looks more like a high school student i could of easily mistaken her for a 15 or 16 year old without a second thought. When my friend told me she was 12 i was shocked but she looks a lot older then what she is. So that is what he sees in her she is always there for him and they plan to get married but I just want to know the legal boundaries so i can protect them both.. Thanks

retdetsgt
03-09-09, 02:04 PM
So that is what he sees in her she is always there for him and they plan to get married but I just want to know the legal boundaries so i can protect them both.. Thanks

Ho boy!:rolleyes:

Well, when my daughters were 13, they would have NOT been allowed to date a 17 year old boy. It's not a matter of how they look, they're 13 and have all the worldly experience of a 13 year old.

If one of my 17 year old stepsons had tried to date a 13 year old girl, we'd have had a long talk and that wouldn't have happened either. I'd have probably considered counseling for him too.

There is a world of difference in the maturity and judgment of a 17 year old and a 13 year old.

If your "friend" wants to do it and both parents allow it (God forbid), it better be a no touch policy for a few years if he wants to be legal.

crazy152
03-09-09, 02:08 PM
Ho boy!:rolleyes:

Well, when my daughters were 13, they would have NOT been allowed to date a 17 year old boy. It's not a matter of how they look, they're 13 and have all the worldly experience of a 13 year old.

If one of my 17 year old stepsons had tried to date a 13 year old girl, we'd have had a long talk and that wouldn't have happened either. I'd have probably considered counseling for him too.

There is a world of difference in the maturity and judgment of a 17 year old and a 13 year old.

If your "friend" wants to do it and both parents allow it (God forbid), it better be a no touch policy for a few years if he wants to be legal.

ok Thanks i will pass it on to my friend. Since they have been going out for 6 months now as both parents are allowing it. So by law if he hugs, kisses, holds hands, or anything like that it would be Illegal ? sry he just wants to know what he can still do legally... He wants a specific answer Thanks for the help

MP_Steve
03-09-09, 02:09 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if it is illegal for a 17 year old boy and a 13 year old girl to be dating in Iowa. I have checked into Statutory Rape laws for Iowa and it looks like the only thing illegal would be Sexual Abuse in the Third-degree. So if the 17 year old turned 18 they could still date legally if they didn't participate in sex acts of any kind. Can anyone tell me if that is correct ? I have included the info i found for statutory rape in Iowa below. Also, By law what is all considered a sex act ?

Thanks,
Anonymous

Taken From STATUTORY RAPE LAWS BY STATE
Iowa
709. 4
Third-degree sexual abuse to perform a sex act on another person, not his spouse, who is (1) age 12 or 13 or (2) age 14 or 15 if the actor is five or more years older.

As a 17 year old, you could have potentially already graduated from high school. You want to be involved with a 13 year old who probably isn't even yet in high school? At this point in your life, you are probably looking into college or entering the work force. At this point in life, I'm sure her only care in the world is finishing middle school. Perhaps you should find someone who is at the same point as you in their lives.

Where I'm from in the States, if you engage in sexual intercourse with a minor under 14 years of age, you are committing "gross sexual assault", A class A felony, the same class crime as manslaughter.

crazy152
03-09-09, 02:11 PM
As a 17 year old, you could have potentially already graduated from high school. You want to be involved with a 13 year old who probably isn't even yet in high school? At this point in your life, you are probably looking into college or entering the work force. At this point in life, I'm sure her only care in the world is finishing middle school. Perhaps you should find someone who is at the same point as you in their lives.

Where I'm from in the States, if you engage in any sexual act with a minor under 14 years of age, you are committing "gross sexual assault", A class A felony, the same class crime as manslaughter.

I Will pass it on to my friend thanks for the help.

Roger Dat
03-09-09, 02:13 PM
I'm just utterly disgusted. So is this the real reason you want to move out? If i were your older brother Id threaten to kick your *** too if you wanted to dat a 13 year old. Oh wait its for a "friend".

crazy152
03-09-09, 02:22 PM
I'm just utterly disgusted. So is this the real reason you want to move out? If i were your older brother Id threaten to kick your *** too if you wanted to dat a 13 year old. Oh wait its for a "friend".

Your right it is for a friend and i must agree i am somewhat disgusted as well but right now i am just trying to protect them both and he is wanting me to find out the legal boundaries.

Group9
03-09-09, 02:53 PM
but I just want to know the legal boundaries so i can protect them both.. Thanks

If that were my 13 year old daughter, you couldn't protect him if you were a Jedi Knight Ninja Master.

GoDirectly2Jail
03-09-09, 03:07 PM
To the original poster: You do realize that people feed cops a steady diet of half-truths and lies all day, everyday, right? As a result, most on here are pretty good at reading between the lines.

Fury
03-09-09, 03:15 PM
Your only 17 now, but in a year you will be 18. And you said she is 12, so in one year she will be 13. Keep in mind, sex with a 13 year old is a felony if you are 18. Not that you would ever do that...

crazy152
03-09-09, 04:05 PM
Your only 17 now, but in a year you will be 18. And you said she is 12, so in one year she will be 13. Keep in mind, sex with a 13 year old is a felony if you are 18. Not that you would ever do that...

She turned 13 just last month actually. Thanks for all your help but i had a officer come and talk with me about this as well as runing away i do appreciate the help however :D:D

It is legal for us to go out as long as we are not having any sex acts in our relationship.... and well since i am 17 i can't leave my house if my parents say no however if they know where i am they can't report me as a runaway...

Once Again THANKS for all the help :D:D

txinvestigator1
03-09-09, 05:40 PM
Hey scumball........come around MY 13 year old daughter and prison will be the last of your worries.

crazy152
03-09-09, 05:47 PM
Hey scumball........come around MY 13 year old daughter and prison will be the last of your worries.

I may not be a police officer but I'm sure you can't do much to me without going to jail yourself for assault or man slaughter or murder of one of the various degrees. Other than a restraint order (the legal way to keep me away)

of course you can let me know if i am wrong.

CityOfChicago
03-09-09, 05:54 PM

My man

Roger Dat
03-10-09, 01:03 AM
You need counseling. You disgust me.

SnapShawt
03-10-09, 01:40 AM
He doesn't need counseling. He needs jail time, a LOT of it. So do both sets of parents that are allowing it. That child should be ripped from their custody immediately.

To the original poster .... you're just focusing on what pertains to illegal "sex" acts. There are PLENTY of other laws relating to children and their welfare under which you can most certainly be charged. Will I tell you what they are? Nope, sure won't. You'll find out when you get charged with one of them :)

Blackgoat06
03-10-09, 01:49 AM
I may not be a police officer but I'm sure you can't do much to me without going to jail yourself for assault or man slaughter or murder of one of the various degrees. Other than a restraint order (the legal way to keep me away)

you mean if he does that to your friend?

Sgt. Slaughter
03-10-09, 01:57 AM

You're right. You're NOT a police officer. You have NO idea what we are legally allowed to do to prevent a felony. We also have a better understanding than you of what crimes a jury would convict you on - as well as acts of protecting our children that they most likely would not.

We're fathers. We don't need restraining orders to keep a little putz like you away from our daughters.

You've watched way too much tv, junior.

SnapShawt
03-10-09, 06:17 AM
Can someone please just ban this excrement? He's stinking the place up.

Samuel
03-10-09, 08:42 AM
hey scumball........come around my 13 year old daughter and prison will be the last of your worries.

Preach on Brother!

Samuel
03-10-09, 08:43 AM
Can someone please just ban this excrement? He's stinking the place up.

+1000

The jerkoff is obviously a liar and a piece of SH!T...

Samuel
03-10-09, 08:45 AM
From the movie Clueless...

"Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you."

txinvestigator1
03-10-09, 02:06 PM

That's laughable. You WOULD stay away...one way or the other.

Radical Jack
03-10-09, 02:13 PM
Crazy152, I think I'm beginning to understand why your brother attacked you. He must not think too high of pedophiles either.

Blackgoat06
03-10-09, 03:29 PM
Why are you guys pickin on the OP. He already said it's his friend! :rolleyes:

txinvestigator1
03-10-09, 03:43 PM
Upon further consideration, I would actually like to make peace with this boy. I would rent a boat and take him for a long ride out into the Gulf of Mexico; just me and him for some bonding time.

I am sure there would not be any accident at sea or anything.

MRBEST
03-10-09, 07:34 PM
I vote that the op should take txinvestigator up on his offer to ride out into the Gulf of Mexico. Perhaps they can bond and share some interesting conversations...

SnapShawt
03-10-09, 09:51 PM
txinvestigator, I'll go with you to make sure nothing untoward happens. If you started to get out of hand and maybe began to eye a rope tied to a block of bricks or something, I promise I would with every effort say, "No .... don't .... stop ...."

Fury
03-11-09, 07:48 AM

Oh, he can do ALOT. Look it up in your state code. If he is wearing his hat, he can do ANYTHING :eek: Trust me.

BP348
03-11-09, 08:09 PM
Upon further consideration, I would actually like to make peace with this boy. I would rent a boat and take him for a long ride out into the Gulf of Mexico; just me and him for some bonding time.

I am sure there would not be any accident at sea or anything.

Let me know when you're on your way past & I'll chip in some gas money.

As a father of two girls I can guarantee that at 13 they will not be spending time with a 17 year old.

serenityBlue
03-12-09, 03:13 AM
Here's me thinking I left all the paedophiles at work....