Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

BAN WS6
12-18-08, 12:46 PM
I was recently discharged from the Marines with an OTH for drug use. The only reason I did this was to speed up the separation process. I was told that I was going to be NJP'd for fraudulent enlistment because I had lied about a history of asthma when I joined. I then soon discovered that I would be discharged with an OTH and a possible steep fine. On top of all of that it would probably take about 5 to 6 months for them to process me out while I waited in a Seps platoon. I went U/A so they'd have to give me a drug test. During the drug test I sprinkled adderol into my urine so I'd test positive for D-Amphetamines. I didn't actually take the drug since I was kind of afraid of it's effects. I've never actually done any drugs before. My criminal background is free of anything except some speeding tickets. Despite the label I acquired from the Marine Corps, I'm not a drug user or a piece of ****. I was simply not going to sit around and put my life on hold while those idiots processed me out for something my recruiter told me to lie about to begin with. I have two associate degrees, one in criminal justice and one in arts (general studies). I have numerous references to counter this black mark including a current police officer. Still I fear that due to this discharge I haven't a chance in hell. My interview is tomorrow and simply don't know what to tell them. Anyway, just looking for some advice. If it helps the NJP I recieved was for article 86 and 112A, U/A and drug use. The Staff Seargant in charge of the seps platoon wasn't able to find any paperwork of my pending NJP for fraudualent enlistment from the training company I went U/A from. If you guys need any other information I'll be happy to supply it.

Big Sexy
12-18-08, 12:53 PM
Still I fear that due to this discharge I haven't a chance in hell.

As a former Marine veteran of 6 years and a current FED with 14 years, BIG would have to say your assessment of your situation is pretty spot on.

BAN WS6
12-18-08, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. Still going to give it a shot though. I just think it's bull**** they way things turned out. No offense to you personally, but the Corps can kiss my ***.

Johninaustin
12-18-08, 01:15 PM
You can try all you want to, but you might as well slam your head repeatedly into a wall, it'll accomplish about the same thing.

Lots of states will not commission a police officer with anything less than an HD, so your local dept won't even have a say in the matter.

deputywave
12-18-08, 01:21 PM
You don't belong in LE. You went U/A and faked drug usage to get out earlier from a commitment you made to the Marines. I feel bad that they inconvenienced you so badly that you had to resort to chickensh!t tactics. :rolleyes:You have integrity issues that we don't need. You should have manned up and went through whatever hoops you had to.

BAN WS6
12-18-08, 01:38 PM
Chicken**** tactics? And the Marine Corps only inconvienienced me huh? You're so full of **** you might as well as be a recruiter. I told my recruiter and the assholes down at MEPs about my past usage of an inhaler. When I explained to them that it didn't really bother me and that I could easily exceed the physical standards they said to go ahead and check "no history" on the form. Then I'm the majority of the way through ITB and a head cold hits me, so I use my inhaler to make things a bit easier. I had a first class PFT, never fallen out of a hike or range movement. Then some ***** made punk of a corpsman comes over and starts giving me **** about using an inhaler that had not been prescribed to me by the Navy. Next thing I know I'm getting terms like fraudualent enlistment thrown at me. Next I find out that despite doing everything correctly that I'm getting discharged under other than honorable conditions and on top of all that I'll be lucky to get processed out in 5 months. Yet for some reason the guys that do drugs get out in one month. Tell me how in the hell that's fair or right? The bottom line is that, yeah, I lied to get in. I simply followed the advice of my recruiter, a staff sgt. and his supervisor, a gunnery sgt. Then at MEPs I have an Army commissioned officer telling me to lie as well. All three respectable good people telling me that lying is ok in this circumstance, why not? So I'm the one who employed chicken**** tactics, I'm not the one encouraging people to fraudualently enlist knowing full well if **** come to light that I'll not be held responsible. I was getting an OTH regardless because the Marines wanted to play their little games, I just found a way to end the game a bit sooner.

mcsap
12-18-08, 01:40 PM
You have harmed YOURSELF more than you will ever know. You didn't get over or get even with the Corps. I am sure you will find a career outside of Law Enforcement.

txinvestigator1
12-18-08, 03:45 PM
"you want fries with that?"

ArmyCop1980
12-18-08, 04:03 PM
Listen you made some very serious mistakes in life, but blaming everyone else just will not solve your issues or make them go away. Pick up from where you are now and try to fix your life up first. If I were you I would not even THINK OF BECOMING A LEO for at LEAST 5 years or so. In that time try to hold a job and not get into trouble. Then after a time period as decribed give it a chance.

phantasm
12-18-08, 05:52 PM
Chicken**** tactics? And the Marine Corps only inconvienienced me huh? You're so full of **** you might as well as be a recruiter. I told my recruiter and the assholes down at MEPs about my past usage of an inhaler. When I explained to them that it didn't really bother me and that I could easily exceed the physical standards they said to go ahead and check "no history" on the form. Then I'm the majority of the way through ITB and a head cold hits me, so I use my inhaler to make things a bit easier. I had a first class PFT, never fallen out of a hike or range movement. Then some ***** made punk of a corpsman comes over and starts giving me **** about using an inhaler that had not been prescribed to me by the Navy. Next thing I know I'm getting terms like fraudualent enlistment thrown at me. Next I find out that despite doing everything correctly that I'm getting discharged under other than honorable conditions and on top of all that I'll be lucky to get processed out in 5 months. Yet for some reason the guys that do drugs get out in one month. Tell me how in the hell that's fair or right? The bottom line is that, yeah, I lied to get in. I simply followed the advice of my recruiter, a staff sgt. and his supervisor, a gunnery sgt. Then at MEPs I have an Army commissioned officer telling me to lie as well. All three respectable good people telling me that lying is ok in this circumstance, why not? So I'm the one who employed chicken**** tactics, I'm not the one encouraging people to fraudualently enlist knowing full well if **** come to light that I'll not be held responsible. I was getting an OTH regardless because the Marines wanted to play their little games, I just found a way to end the game a bit sooner.

IBTL

And even NYPD won't hire with a "less than honorable" discharge.

noelchabanel
12-18-08, 06:55 PM
Aren't they going to great lengths to keep people IN the military? Seems odd they'd be going to great lengths to try to push you out...and with no paperwork about it either....wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if they were just trying to scare you into ditching the unprescribed inhaler and you screwed yourself with drugs for no reason? Makes you wonder.......IBTL

Plazoo
12-18-08, 07:43 PM
I was getting an OTH regardless because the Marines wanted to play their little games, I just found a way to end the game a bit sooner.

And found a way to ensure you're never hired in the law enforcement field.

Kimble
12-18-08, 08:51 PM
I was getting an OTH regardless because the Marines wanted to play their little games, I just found a way to end the game a bit sooner.

You're talking to people who know what an OTH is and what it takes to get one, so I'm not buying your sh*t whatsoever. Anyone who doesn't even try can get a General discharge. You have to really work at f*cking up to get an OTH or BCD, and have to commit a serious felony for a DD. Lie all you want about what you did to earn that OTH, but you are not the victim of the Marine Corps being out to get you. Sell that to someone who doesn't know any better, as I deal with service members like you every day.

Big Sexy
12-18-08, 09:10 PM
I deal with service members like you every day.

Referring to someone, like this, who isn't a service member, is an insult to service members.

By his description, he was still in boot camp and had not received the title of Marine.

Therefore, to refer to him as a service member would be inaccurate at best.

Kimble
12-18-08, 09:18 PM
Referring to someone, like this, who isn't a service member, is an insult to service members.

By his description, he was still in boot camp and had not received the title of Marine.

Therefore, to refer to him as a service member would be inaccurate at best.

I missed that because I didn't read his first post, only his second follow-up post. I'd agree that a trainee in boot camp is by no means a service member (insulting honorably serving service members was not at all the point of my post, or my intent), but I still know that you have to really work to be separated with an OTH, BCD or DD discharge.

BANWS6Returns
12-20-08, 06:38 PM
This will be my last post here since I don't wish to carry on an online argument. First off getting an OTH is pretty much the standard discharge for an administrative seperation. If I had been charged with fraudualent enlistment that would've been an OTH. Hell there was this was kid in the seps platoon with me that had blown one of his fingers off in a 240 Bravo accident. They were trying to charge him with negligence and give him an OTH so he wouldn't be eligible for benefits. I did my little disappearing act after boot camp while I was in Infantry Training Battallion. All the non infantry guys go through Marine Combat Training, all out at SOI in Camp Pendelton. I was two weeks away from completing ITB, a nine week course. Just some background for you supposed experts on boot camp and discharges but still managed to get the facts wrong. As of why I wasn't charged with fraud, I can't really say. Chock it up to poor communitcation between compaines, maybe after I left somebody just said **** it and didn't feel like doing the paper work, don't know don't care. The Marines, in my opinion screwed me. I do realize however that I made my situation worse in my haste to get discharged quicker. However all of that is behind me now and I intend to build upon and learn from my mistakes. I've been talking with an Army recruiter and he's gotten the green light for my re-enlistment, going with the Rangers this time. Will be going in with a waiver for my asthma after I pass a simple test at MEPs, have my bases covered now. So if I offended any currently serving or retired marines I apologize to you. I have no quarrel with you only the system of what I consider hypocracy. Also, while I may have been handed my EGA after the crucible, you don't have to worry about me "disgracing" your beloved Corps. I personally don't consider myself a Marine and don't try to come across as one now that I'm out.

Kimble
12-20-08, 09:52 PM
This will be my last post here since I don't wish to carry on an online argument. You're right, because once you're banned, you don't get a free invitiation to start a new account. Do it again and your ISP will be notified.

First off getting an OTH is pretty much the standard discharge for an administrative seperation.

Maybe you don't realize it, but many of us have been in the military or work for DoD components where we deal regularly with crime in the military and the discharges associated with them. An OTH is anything but the "standard discharge for an administrative separation", as that would be a General Discharge. Continue to lie all you want, won't keep me up at night, but you're not fooling anyone.

manahmanah
12-20-08, 11:21 PM
Scumbag.

marinepilot
12-21-08, 08:53 AM
Scumbag.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad I came across this thread when I did 'cause I am just FURIOUS with this turd, and he's not worth my time.

He did pick a hell of an appropriate name tho... :D Both times!! LOL

guyfrommass
01-17-09, 09:42 PM
Ok...I was discharged for smoking pot in 1993 from USMC with an OTH. Went through boot camp ITB-SOI and went to my unit. Went out one night...long story short got stoned. Popped on a pissed test. Recieved the OTH because i refused counseling and the drug program that goes with it. Got 60day base restriction and 1month of pay was taken. Most situations they give you a chance if you want it. So I guess you didn't take it. If you did then something else happened with that. Now as for as a job. I work for The Department of Homeland Security out of Boston.....go figure. Not going to say what I do but I got the job. Never asked for My DD214..they only asked "have you been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces" that was it. I wasn't DD so I put no. There is always hope.....ps another guy I know has an OTH and is working with the Border Patrol in Yuma, AZ. ANYWAY as for being a cop/leo...the guys in here know more on that than me. GOOD LUCK

retdetsgt
01-17-09, 10:26 PM
I work for The Department of Homeland Security out of Boston.....go figure.

Every police dept I know of asked for a DD214. You wouldn't be hired by mine. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence that DHS doesn't check....:rolleyes:

mcsap
01-17-09, 11:25 PM
My app asked if I was Honorably Discharged and wanted to see my DD-214.

I have seen a lot of apps in my time and never saw one that asked if you were Dishonorably Discharged.

Roger Dat
01-17-09, 11:38 PM
On a scale of 1-10 my BS meter is on 11

SnapShawt
01-18-09, 01:18 AM
First off, on the Homeland Security (supposedly) guy, put up or shut up. Get verified. Until then, you're a poser.

Actually, ROS, isn't it a violation of the site's terms to claim to be LEO without verification?

I've seen several people get hired who have General Discharges for one reason or another. I've never, EVER seen anyone get hired with an OTH or worse yet a DD.

The banned user is full of crap and a worthless piece of the same, and the DHS user is anything but until he verifies (don't hold your breath).

normal1
01-18-09, 06:33 AM
... I work for The Department of Homeland Security out of Boston.....go figure. Not going to say what I do but I got the job.

Hm... survey saaaayysss!!! TSA Screener!!

ding, ding ding! :rolleyes:

ButterChunk
01-18-09, 11:01 AM
My app asked if I was Honorably Discharged and wanted to see my DD-214.

I have seen a lot of apps in my time and never saw one that asked if you were Dishonorably Discharged.

The BS meter is pegged. At a minimum, he had to complete an SF85P for a background check. The military discharge question is phrased - " Have you EVER received a discharge that was not honorable?"

Kimble
01-18-09, 12:23 PM
First off, on the Homeland Security (supposedly) guy, put up or shut up. Get verified. Until then, you're a poser.

Actually, ROS, isn't it a violation of the site's terms to claim to be LEO without verification?

That is correct, SnapShawt. If you claim to be a LEO you have to get verified, but this thread's DHS employee hasn't made the claim of being a LEO when he said:

ANYWAY as for being a cop/leo...the guys in here know more on that than me

He could be a TSA screener, a secretary, or any of the hundreds of other jobs within DHS that are not LEOs. Not sure which, as he/she isn't telling. I have known of several TSA screeners who brag about working for "Homeland Security" though.

Plazoo
01-19-09, 08:27 AM

That's the first thing that popped into my head too. ;)

retdetsgt
01-19-09, 05:30 PM

Our first line of defense against little old ladies, kids and U.S. Marines traveling in uniform.....

SnapShawt
01-20-09, 07:53 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot the screeners. Kind of like saying, "Oh, I work for Harvard University" - without adding, "as a janitor."

The pro
01-31-09, 01:58 AM
Hey bro do not sweat the Police or the Marine Corps. Was the Marine Corps really all that good a life? Trust me, i know I served it's not all that great. You made some mistakes so what live your life. Go into another field being a cop is not the only job and there are better jobs especially if you go to college.

Group9
01-31-09, 09:06 AM
Still I fear that due to this discharge I haven't a chance in hell.

Thanks. You saved us from having to say it.

Group9
01-31-09, 09:08 AM
Ok...I was discharged for smoking pot in 1993 from USMC with an OTH. Went through boot camp ITB-SOI and went to my unit. Went out one night...long story short got stoned. Popped on a pissed test. Recieved the OTH because i refused counseling and the drug program that goes with it. Got 60day base restriction and 1month of pay was taken. Most situations they give you a chance if you want it. So I guess you didn't take it. If you did then something else happened with that. Now as for as a job. I work for The Department of Homeland Security out of Boston.....go figure. Not going to say what I do but I got the job. Never asked for My DD214..they only asked "have you been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces" that was it. I wasn't DD so I put no. There is always hope.....ps another guy I know has an OTH and is working with the Border Patrol in Yuma, AZ. ANYWAY as for being a cop/leo...the guys in here know more on that than me. GOOD LUCK

The Bullsh& is strong with this one, young Obi-Wan. Not even a federal janitor.

One post, and this it? That's what we call a clue.

jmach
03-26-10, 01:48 PM
my boyfriend is in the marines and is getting discharged for going UA. (I dont give a **** what anyone else has to say about what he did so screw yourselves) he also has mental disabilities (depression and PTSD) I was just wondering if you know how long the paperwork should take to finish. Its been 2 months already, but they said it should only take like 2 weeks at each place it had to go to. It took 2 weeks at the first two places, but now its been at the last place for a good month at least. Do you have any good estimates of when he should be home?

Citicop
03-26-10, 02:04 PM
my boyfriend is in the marines and is getting discharged for going UA. (I dont give a **** what anyone else has to say about what he did so screw yourselves) he also has mental disabilities (depression and PTSD) I was just wondering if you know how long the paperwork should take to finish. Its been 2 months already, but they said it should only take like 2 weeks at each place it had to go to. It took 2 weeks at the first two places, but now its been at the last place for a good month at least. Do you have any good estimates of when he should be home?

jmach-

1.) The last post to this thread was more than a year ago. And your post is not really related to the original subject.

2.) You did not bother to introduce yourself before asking a question, as we ask new members to do.

3.) Your attitude in a first post is completely uncalled for. If you don't want to hear what we think, then don't ask questions here.

4.) This is a Law Enforcement Forum. You may be better served on a forum more dedicated to military matters.

If you intend to stay, check the attitude, introduce yourself, and start a new thread with any questions you have.

I'm closing this for all of the above reasons.

-Citicop.

Kimble
03-26-10, 02:19 PM
jmach-

4.) This is a Law Enforcement Forum. You may be better served on a forum more dedicated to military matters.Agreed. Military.com has forums for each branch, your questions would be best answered in their Marine Corps section, as it has nothing to do with law enforcement.