Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Wanabe
12-02-08, 07:32 PM
.....Thank you for help, no longer freaking out :)

explcdt8
12-02-08, 08:05 PM
I would say to disclose it. I REALLY doubt that it would hurt you, especially since it was an accident.

I would recommend calling your MD though, just let them know what happened, especially if you think some of it actually got absorbed by your body.

Roger Dat
12-02-08, 09:10 PM
I think you'll be ok just be honest, and either get used to losing your hair or shave it off!

Switchback
12-02-08, 09:20 PM
Yeah, bald is IN, baby!

FWIW, I shaved before it was in, but...

:)

nsxcorvette
12-02-08, 09:58 PM
Yeah I started shaving mine as soon as I noticed a little missing. Thought I'd beat it to it and declare victory....

StartingOut
12-02-08, 10:41 PM
My integrity it important so I feel I should let the BI know this but is this me being over dramatic also?

I personally think disclosure of this is silly and takes the concept of integrity into the realm of craziness. I can understand disclosing the following fictional incidents:

- thinking a friend was smoking a regular cigarette at a party and asking for a drag, and it turns out it was marijuana; or

- eating some brownies at a party and it turns out some friends had put a little weed in the recipe.

But an unintentional, accidential, harmless, inconsequential and momentary encounter with a non-illegal (for your grandfather) substance that a family member had stored in your house legally is hardly a hit on your integrity, nor will it likely show up on a drug test.

What next? Requiring an applicant to disclose that he came into contact with the trace amounts of cocaine on many dollar bills? Requiring an applicant to disclose that she drank tap water and "ingested" the trace amounts of controlled substances pissed out by druggies and not removed by the purification process? Because, like it or not, we've all had coke on our fingers from handling money and we've all ingested some small amounts of illegal substances via the water supply.

I think you're on the right track by being concerned about your contact with pharmaceuticals that were not prescribed to you, but I think you can sleep well without disclosing this one.

On the other hand, if you want to disclose, I'd be 95% certain that it won't hurt you. The 5% uncertainty comes from the fact that the investigator might think that such an accident might not have been an accident at all, but rather an excuse to cover up some "experimentation" with prescription medicine that you happened to come across. Or perhaps that you might be a careless individual (as not checking the label on a prescription medication before taking it could be viewed as risky or thoughtless.) I'm not suggesting that this is the case in your situation - I'm just running through a few scenarios.

Ispbear
12-03-08, 12:56 AM
Dude, your stressing out over something so STUPID as this? Maybe you should look for different career choices, because if something as simple and irrelevant as this gets you so uptight your a time bomb waiting to happen.

Wanabe
12-03-08, 01:30 AM
Something so simple and irrelevant that some are saying disclose it, while others say dont?

I was freaking out but am calm now. I am done with all phases in a department and i did not want this incident to ruin it. I am confused how i am suppose to go about this. I dont know if this is a big deal enough to disclose and if i do will it hurt my chances. Then at the same time i dont want to not disclose this and this showing up on a drug test (which i should be having shortly).

I have been involved in several background checks. This is the first one i made it to the end. While the others ended for minor things that i would never think could hurt me till now.

So saying anything is to simple and irrelevant for me to be worried about is a little off IMO.

JamiLea
12-03-08, 02:06 AM
Maybe you could just disclose it in a clam manner without showing "freaking out" emotion. Chances are they will all laugh about it and move on to the next subject.

Relax, you will be fine.

Creeker
12-03-08, 02:29 AM
Since it seems to bother you so much, you should disclose it, since you will be pegging the polygraph for it now, anyway.

You can always explain it, but to not disclose it and be found untruthful could be an insurmountable problem.

BTW, I agree with whoever said "If something like this is freaking you out, you may want a different career".

There are too many unknowns & variables in LE to be worrying excessively about the "what-if's".

I would be confident that the Psych could set you free, but after my Nephew, a pet-killing arsonist as a child with wise guy connections got thru the door, I'm not so sure... :o ... but he's a Fireman, now... so he's right at home... :rolleyes:

Ispbear
12-03-08, 02:46 AM
My concern Wanabe, is that the drug you accidentally took that was your Grandfathers is a bipolar medication. The disorder of bipolar has genetic traits. From a couple of your other post as well as this one makes me concerned about your stability and if you deal with bouts of mania.

I don't know you and could be completely wrong, only you know if there is an actual concern about your mental state.

Wanabe
12-03-08, 03:10 AM
My Grandfather does not have bi-polar it is prescribed to him for sleep.

Im sorry if i made such a big deal about nothing but as i have said before i passed all phases of a process including the psych, medical, physical and interview. I will have another drug test soon and I am just a little confused if this is considered "use" of medication not prescribed to me. If i go in and i do not list it i can ruin my chances. If i do like someone has already said they may think i am trying to make excuses for using it.

Oh well im over it, but i do see a potential problem for either route i take.

Thank you all for you help. Even to those who think i am a loony for asking.

JamiLea
12-03-08, 03:55 PM
My Grandfather does not have bi-polar it is prescribed to him for sleep.

Im sorry if i made such a big deal about nothing but as i have said before i passed all phases of a process including the psych, medical, physical and interview. I will have another drug test soon and I am just a little confused if this is considered "use" of medication not prescribed to me. If i go in and i do not list it i can ruin my chances. If i do like someone has already said they may think i am trying to make excuses for using it.

Oh well im over it, but i do see a potential problem for either route i take.

Thank you all for you help. Even to those who think i am a loony for asking.

I completely understand why you would freak out. You've come so far and you don't want ANYTHING to stand in your way. It's nothing but a case of the jitters. I get it. Just relax, be honest about everything and you'll be fine. Carry yourself with assurance, confidence, integrity and right mindedness, common sense and you can't go wrong. Good luck bro!

Wisbith
12-03-08, 04:03 PM
I think the fact that you vomited it up shows that it was not intended. Accidents happen, but maybe you should be a little more alert in the future. I couldn't imagine it would hurt your chances any.