Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

tampa06
11-02-08, 09:04 PM
I was wondering, when an officer runs a license plate (in PA), what exactly does he see? Can they see information about the Drivers License or whether or not you have insurance? My brother lost his license for 15 days for speeding and he thinks they can see everything. I am driving him around in his car and don't want to get pulled over so I am asking here. He is the registered owner of the car, sooo...

Thanks

mcsap
11-03-08, 12:18 AM
I can see the registered owners name and address. The year , make , VIN number ,license expiration and any suspensions on the license plate.

By default, it also automatically runs the named driver's info. I then see that persons name, address, DOB, drivers number, SSN, height , eye color, expiration date and any suspensions.

I cannot initially see WHY the drivers license is suspended without running another check which takes more time and is known as J-Net.

J-Net allows me to see a color photo of the driver and a specific view of the driving record as in any inserted violations , reasons for a suspension and duration of said suspension.

Keep in mind this is PA only.

falcon four
11-03-08, 01:10 PM
Mcsap,

I was amazed at the information provided to LEO's while at my internship. Additionally, that J-Net is one heck of a system.

mcsap
11-03-08, 03:59 PM
Mcsap,

I was amazed at the information provided to LEO's while at my internship. Additionally, that J-Net is one heck of a system.

Nothing like a color photo of someone right in my cruiser to prove/disprove their identity. :)

MRBEST
11-03-08, 08:36 PM
Your lucky.... We have a similar system, I'm sure its probably even the same by the sounds of it, just with a different name. Unfortunately its only available on the newer laptops though and I'd estimate MOST of our vehicles don't have them... I can definitely see it being useful, especially to confirm an identity.... Very nice.

tampa06
11-06-08, 06:08 PM
OK, i am not good with computers so i dont understand anything that you were talking about. But since the car is in my brothers name, HIS license will come up automatically when you run the plate and you will automatically see that it is suspended? So that basically means that if a cop runs the plate while i am driving it im gonna get pulled over. It doesnt matter since my license is valid, but it would be rather annoying. Can you confirm this though? Thanks

mcsap
11-06-08, 07:16 PM
OK, i am not good with computers so i dont understand anything that you were talking about. But since the car is in my brothers name, HIS license will come up automatically when you run the plate and you will automatically see that it is suspended? So that basically means that if a cop runs the plate while i am driving it im gonna get pulled over. It doesnt matter since my license is valid, but it would be rather annoying. Can you confirm this though? Thanks

If license plate ABC-1234 is on a car owned by John Q Public... I will see that he is the owner , his address , the make of the car , the VIN number, the expiration of the plate and whether or not the plate is suspended.

There is a 2nd check ( done automatically) on the owner repeating his name , address , DOB, SSN , height , eye color , expiration of license, class of license and whether or not HE is suspended.

I then manually CAN run his info through J-Net and get HIS color photo from HIS drivers license.

If you were to get stopped and your license is fine , you will be on your way in short order. I do not routinely stop cars simply because the registered owner is suspended unless I strongly suspect that the owner IS the driver.

tampa06
11-06-08, 07:40 PM
Oh, ok thanks for clearing that up for me. Also, my brothers friend has been driving on a suspended license for the last year and he just got it back. how did he not get caught? he lost it for fleeing police and he drove every single day to work and school, just driving the speed limit. he said that if there is nothing for a cop to pull you over for, there is nothing they can do. I figured if a cop wants to pull someone over for no reason they could.

mcsap
11-06-08, 10:29 PM
The standard that we need to stop someone is reasonable suspicion. If we have RS to stop you , we are good. Long hair , rap music or Grateful Dead bumper stickers are not RS.

Not using your turn signal within the required distance before the turn IS.

JakeLock
11-11-08, 10:38 PM
ND's a little behind. I find out who owns the vehicle, then I have to go to another screen type in the name, search through names to find the right one, then go to another screen to see if they have warrants, and yet another screen to check their license status. A lot of work while driving on 6 inches of ice... :D

I can click another screen to check driving record. I get all MCSAP does, only it takes me longer and is freakin dangerous at times...

DZL
11-22-08, 08:16 PM
Where does the color picture from J-Net come from...?

From the latest DL picture...?

mcsap
11-22-08, 11:29 PM
Yes. And I can also see ALL of your past drivers license photos. Some of our clients who abuse drugs and alcohol tend to age a lot QUICKER than those who don't.

Wolfman
11-23-08, 01:18 AM
Long hair , rap music or Grateful Dead bumper stickers are not RS.

SERIOUSLY!?!?! Oh man my court date is gonna suck

:D

RoadDog1905
11-28-08, 06:09 PM
As a PA State Trooper, the JNet tool is great. When I was working out of Philadelphia and encountered someone without their license, it was great to print up a photo of the guy in the car with the IR printers and walk it up to the guy and ask, "If you are Joe Smith, then who is this?" Philadelphia PD, to my knowledge, never had that ability. Local departments, if we were nearby, would ask us to swing by just so we could JNet someone in our cars for them to see their face.

While these other tools aren't available in the cars, JNet also gives you access to all photos taken with a mostly statewide law enforcement/corrections photo system called CPIN. It also lets you throw together line-ups pretty quickly, give dispositions on all your traffic citations/criminal cases, and numerous other uses.

Now, they just have to get the CLEAN system updated and I'd be pretty happy.

MRBEST
11-28-08, 09:57 PM
As a PA State Trooper, the JNet tool is great. When I was working out of Philadelphia and encountered someone without their license, it was great to print up a photo of the guy in the car with the IR printers and walk it up to the guy and ask, "If you are Joe Smith, then who is this?" Philadelphia PD, to my knowledge, never had that ability. Local departments, if we were nearby, would ask us to swing by just so we could JNet someone in our cars for them to see their face.

While these other tools aren't available in the cars, JNet also gives you access to all photos taken with a mostly statewide law enforcement/corrections photo system called CPIN. It also lets you throw together line-ups pretty quickly, give dispositions on all your traffic citations/criminal cases, and numerous other uses.

Now, they just have to get the CLEAN system updated and I'd be pretty happy.

Wow is that useful! One could only wish....

bigbook
10-31-10, 10:24 PM
Is it legal for an officer to pull you over because your plate comes up with a suspended DL. Don't you have to commit a traffic violation for them to stop you? It was night time and there was no way they could see who was driving. thanks

Cat_Doc
10-31-10, 10:29 PM
If you were driving on a suspended driver's license you were committing a traffic violation.

bigbook
10-31-10, 10:38 PM
thanks for the reply. I understand that that is an offence but is it lawful to get pulled over just because my plate comes back like that. If other ppl use my car they would get pulled over all the time and that doesnt seem right

Citicop
10-31-10, 10:52 PM
bigbook-

The standard of proof necessary to stop someone (either in a car or on foot) is "reasonable suspicion." This is a lower burden of proof necessary than what is needed to issue a ticket or make an arrest.

If the owner of a vehicle has a suspended driver's license, than it is reasonable to assume that the owner may be driving the car. A brief stop to investigate the possible criminal violation is certainly allowed.

-Citicop.

Citicop
10-31-10, 10:55 PM
And this thread is nearly a year old and the new poster has also posted this question in AAC. I think we can close this one in favor of the new thread.

-Citicop.