Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : tattoo on cops

#1prospect
09-24-08, 12:19 AM
are police officers allowed to have visable tattos for example a 6 inch tattoo on the arm stright above the wrist

phantasm
09-24-08, 12:30 AM
are police officers allowed to have visable tattos for example a 6 inch tattoo on the arm stright above the wrist

Sometimes. Effective 1/1/2007 NYPD hires can no longer have visible tattoos, and must either cover them with makeup or a bandage similar to the collar of the skin.

Switchback
09-24-08, 01:40 AM
Seiously, try to compose your "questions" in a decent format... say as well as the average 4th grader, with capitalization and punctuation.

Hell, at least make an attempt, as a common courtesy.

TX-LEO
09-24-08, 05:27 AM

Depends on where you live son.

bluelightzgrl
09-24-08, 11:15 AM
Depends on where you live son.

...and which department you apply for. Contact the one(s) you are intersted in and see what they tell you, because unless you tell us which department(s) no one here will be able to answer that question for you.

My dept, it depends on what the tattoo is. A former partner has a six inch wolf on the inside of his forearm. The dept had no issues with it.

Ispbear
09-24-08, 12:35 PM
My department does not allow any tatoo's that show. If you want to get a tatoo, just get it on your back, upper arm, or leg and then you don't have to worry about it.

Personally, I like a good tramp stamp! :D

retdetsgt
09-24-08, 12:53 PM
Mine supposedly has a taboo against tattoos that show, but I've seen people come on with them. One woman cop hired in the 70's had a small flower on the side of her hand between the thumb and forefinger. They let that slide. With tattoos becoming more and more acceptable in our culture, I suspect there will be a time when more depts will lift restrictions.

Kinda like the hair and beard, when I came on there were tough rules regarding them. Sideburns couldn't go below the middle of the ear and mustaches couldn't extend past the corner of the mouth. That was relaxed in the late seventies and I had a fu manchu mustache off and on during my career. Beards, they've allowed off and on, depending on the chief.

Ispbear
09-24-08, 01:59 PM
Kinda like the hair and beard, when I came on there were tough rules regarding them. Sideburns couldn't go below the middle of the ear and mustaches couldn't extend past the corner of the mouth.

We still have those rules and regs on our books and they are enforced. Guess that kind of makes us old school. :cool:

retdetsgt
09-24-08, 03:24 PM
We still have those rules and regs on our books and they are enforced. Guess that kind of makes us old school. :cool:

We are really off and on. I really don't know what the regs are now. They really should stay consistant, whatever they are. Every time they're loosened and then tightened back up, the whining and moaning is deafening! But consistancy has never been a virtue of my dept.....:rolleyes:

Roger Dat
09-24-08, 03:50 PM
Effective this year no one will be hired with tats that are visible while in uniform. We also have the no moustaches past corners of the mouth etc.

TX-LEO
09-24-08, 09:33 PM
Personally, I like a good tramp stamp! :D

OHHH! I love it. I'm gonna use that! ( the phrase ):D

S43riff
09-25-08, 08:15 PM
They need to be careful not to infringe on their rights. Some are relegious, cross, jesus etc. Some are military. Freedom of speech will argue the point. the one I like is the part where it says...you can not discriminate someone for THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Guess what hahahahah.

retdetsgt
09-25-08, 08:48 PM
They need to be careful not to infringe on their rights. Some are relegious, cross, jesus etc. Some are military. Freedom of speech will argue the point. the one I like is the part where it says...you can not discriminate someone for THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Guess what hahahahah.

I'm surprised someone hasn't tested it in federal court.... It would be interesting to see a dept's rational for not allowing them.

JakeLock
09-26-08, 03:43 AM
Well I've got lot's of Tats... But I'm grandfathered, I still wear long sleeves year round, but only out of respect for my department and new applicants.