Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Is this a misdemeanor?

Jaku81
09-10-08, 03:14 PM
I did a search on this and was unable to find an answer.

When I was about 17, 10 years ago, I went through a new york subway turnstile with a friend of mine with only one token. I police officer saw us do this and gave us each a ticket, which we payed.

I am in the beginning process to applying to various depts. in NY and one of the questions asks if I had ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony.

I am not exactly sure if it was or not, or if it is still on my record, due to the fact that I was under age.

Any insight as to what is was would be appreciated.

Thanks again

jerry40
09-10-08, 03:29 PM
Toll evasion is a FELONY in NYS! That should have gotten you 10 maybe 15 years!! I'm surprised your out already!:D

JK, you were a kid, it was 10 years ago, and you took care of it. Enough time has passed where it won't be an issue. Disclose it with your BI its nothing more than a blip in your past.

Jaku81
09-10-08, 04:08 PM
An other question is that these applications ask if I was ever convicted of an offense.

Does that include motor vehicle tickets, or are those just misdemeanors and felonies?

Thanks again

Kimble
09-10-08, 04:37 PM
An other question is that these applications ask if I was ever convicted of an offense.

Does that include motor vehicle tickets, or are those just misdemeanors and felonies?

Thanks again

In Alabama, a traffic ticket is NOT equivalent to a conviction for a criminal offense. An "offense" is a crime (i.e. misdemeanor or felony), a "violation" is for traffic-related, non-criminal issues.

phantasm
09-10-08, 05:18 PM
its theft of service, a misd, in NYS, BUT if given a ticket by a transit cop on a TAB (transit adjudication bureau) then it is transit specific, and may only be a violation. Not sure.

Jaku81
09-10-08, 05:34 PM
They reason I ask is because the application for the examination asks if I have ever been convicted of an offense?

I figured that I would check "yes" and attach a small explanation of what occurred. I just don't want to be DQ'ed for something that I am not sure was a misdemeanor.

manahmanah
09-10-08, 09:16 PM
They will know if it is a misdemeanor or felony for your state. Just put it down and explain the circumstances. I was completely honest about everything I did. Most of the stuff they just laughed about. They just want to see that you are being honest.

pjlee
09-11-08, 02:37 AM
does a conviction mean you were charged with the misdemeanor? What if the misdemeanor charges were dropped? Does that mean I check "yes" when they ask me if I have been convicted?

I am confused if a dropped charge counts as a conviction. :confused:

North Patrol
09-11-08, 02:44 AM
does a conviction mean you were charged with the misdemeanor? What if the misdemeanor charges were dropped? Does that mean I check "yes" when they ask me if I have been convicted?

A conviction means that you were found guilty and were assesed a penalty.

A charge means that an officer (or other official) felt there was enough evidence that you commited the crime and forwarded it to the appropriate court in order to try you for the offense.

Hope this helps.

Creeker
09-11-08, 05:33 AM

Regardless, you know you were wrong to Recklessly drive through the school parking lot as fast as you did, and the reason you should care is because it will show up during the Polygraph.

pjlee
09-11-08, 06:49 AM
Regardless, you know you were wrong to Recklessly drive through the school parking lot as fast as you did, and the reason you should care is because it will show up during the Polygraph.

I already know that I will be disclosing all my past information during both the BI and Polygraph test. I never planned to hide anything in the first place. My question asked for the primary difference between a charge and conviction, in which North Patrol kindly answered. (Thank you North Patrol).

The incident occurred quite some time ago, and lessons have been learned. People make mistakes, and I will accept the outcome of my past mistakes if it affects my hiring process. Very simple.

Creeker - you seem to take an odd interest in my posts since you continue to follow me around and repeatedly point out the obvious fact I made a bad judgment. I heard you the first time. ;)

COPaterno
09-11-08, 11:32 AM
Do you still have the ticket to see what the officer actually put on it? I would have collared you for theft of service, which is a Misd. This officer might have given you a discon summons which is a violation.

Jaku81
09-11-08, 11:44 AM
it was so long ago that I didn't keep the ticket. I just paid it and forgot about it. I didn't think that 10 years later I would be thinking about it.

I'll just put it down and be honest.

phantasm
09-11-08, 11:50 AM
If you paid the fine, then you were convicted. Most likely it was a TAB, which may be a violation, but if you write the whole story out under the section, then you dont' have to worry about you not explaining it, and them finding out, right?

mikecrazy
09-11-08, 12:26 PM
Do you still have the ticket to see what the officer actually put on it? I would have collared you for theft of service, which is a Misd. This officer might have given you a discon summons which is a violation.

No rookie, transit has TAB summonses which have offenses on it such as theft of service, which patrol does not have. :D

But way to show you've learned how to give out dis con summonses when needed if you get my drift :p

phantasm
09-11-08, 02:15 PM
No rookie, transit has TAB summonses which have offenses on it such as theft of service, which patrol does not have. :D

But way to show you've learned how to give out dis con summonses when needed if you get my drift :p

209-14 & 209-15

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

1050.4(a)

Criminal prosecution = $25 and/or up to 10 days in jail (violation)

mikecrazy
09-11-08, 02:52 PM
Are those the codes that an MTA cop would use, or a transit cop because they're in an MTA facility?

MTA's disorderly conduct covers at least 10 PL/AC summons from patrol.

I.E. MTA dis con covers open container/consumption where it wouldn't be dis con for patrol, obviously.

Interesting.

Creeker
09-11-08, 03:59 PM
I already know that I will be disclosing all my past information during both the BI and Polygraph test. I never planned to hide anything in the first place. My question asked for the primary difference between a charge and conviction, in which North Patrol kindly answered. (Thank you North Patrol).

The incident occurred quite some time ago, and lessons have been learned. People make mistakes, and I will accept the outcome of my past mistakes if it affects my hiring process. Very simple.

Creeker - you seem to take an odd interest in my posts since you continue to follow me around and repeatedly point out the obvious fact I made a bad judgment. I heard you the first time. ;)

PJ, I'm not following you around, you are hijacking threads. You were answered in your thread, but you apparently need to hear the answer again... so no, you didn't hear the first time.

Its nice to know... now... that you will be disclosing everything... not just what you thought you needed to to get by the process.

Put your paranoia back in your pocket.;)

phantasm
09-11-08, 09:20 PM
Are those the codes that an MTA cop would use, or a transit cop because they're in an MTA facility?

MTA's disorderly conduct covers at least 10 PL/AC summons from patrol.

I.E. MTA dis con covers open container/consumption where it wouldn't be dis con for patrol, obviously.

Interesting.

those are for transit cops/tab summonses, but according to the wording under the penalty section it could also be charged on a universal summons punishable by up to 25$/10 days in jail.

pjlee
09-12-08, 03:11 AM
PJ, I'm not following you around, you are hijacking threads. You were answered in your thread, but you apparently need to hear the answer again... so no, you didn't hear the first time.

Its nice to know... now... that you will be disclosing everything... not just what you thought you needed to to get by the process.

Put your paranoia back in your pocket.;)

Creeker - Asking many questions does not equate to paranoia. I see the situation as a "concern for my future", which is important, especially in this field. But... if it makes you feel like you've accomplished something, then yes, I'm super paranoid about everything, and I need to hear the same answer five times. And I absolutely love to hijack threads. :D