Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Arrest warrants and flying.

lovelyme
08-24-08, 01:56 AM
I have two arrest warrants for driving while suspended in the 1st in washington state. i was sentanced to 90 days jail because it was mandatory. i didnt go. as far as i know they are both gross misdemeanors. i live in oregon now and im flying to las vegas nevada and then california. i was wondering if im going to be able to fly with these arrest warrants? also i heard when you get on a plane they can run you through ncic.. would my warrants appear there? what do you think? thank you

mobrien316
08-24-08, 02:17 AM
A routine ID check conducted at the airport will reveal any warrants you might have.

Airport police will then detain you until two officers from the department holding the warrants arrive to bring you back to Washington.

Do the officers a favor and don't try to fly on a Friday or Saturday. If you do that means they will have to hold you in their jail until they can transfer you to the state prison on Monday, and that's a pain for everyone involved.

Or, do yourself a favor and get the warrants taken care of (by surrending in Washington) before they screw up your travel plans.

BTW, if you drive and get stopped for any reason, pretty much the same thing will happen. The cop who stops you will do a routine ID check and discover your warrants, and you'll be held until the cops from Washington get there to bring you back.

ChesCopPodz
08-24-08, 04:37 AM
Depends on the extradition of the warrants.

Worst that could happen: your warrants pop up, you are arrested by the airport police, taken to the local jail, and held there for a few days until police from the jurisdiction in WA come and get you. Then you sit in a WA jail until your hearing, then you get your 90 days.

Best case scenario: they don't run you, or if they do, your warrants only have WA extradition so you won't be arrested.

Up to you whether or not you want to roll the dice.

BP348
08-24-08, 10:07 AM
Grow up and take care of it.

I can never understand why people will leave this type of thing hanging over them. :confused:

Call whomever you need to in Washington state, you didn't say where the 2nd warrant was from, and ask, " hey this is Lovely me, I know I messed up what do I have to do to clear this up"?

Your chances of getting sometype of break are much greater if you try to solve the problem rather then wait until the system catches you, which it will. Sooner or later everyone gets caught.

Joeyd6
08-24-08, 10:50 AM
Maybe you could just grow up instead of vactioning this summer!

Group9
08-24-08, 11:56 AM
maybe you could just grow up instead of vactioning this summer!

+1.

chewy
08-24-08, 12:39 PM
I'd say instead of risking flying this summer, being you live so close to the Canadian border maybe you should just go visit beautiful Canada for a few weeks instead of Vegas. The Canadian and US Border Guards (basically just toll collectors) can't run you for warrants and even if they wanted to they don't have access to NCIC so you'd be safe going to Canada for vacation.;)

lovelyme
08-24-08, 04:25 PM
Okay some of you gave good advice but telling to just grow up is f-ed up on your part. you odn tknow me or what is going on.. my layover is lv and im going to california because thats the last time i see my husband because hes going to iraq next week. so thanks.

Kimble
08-24-08, 06:25 PM
Okay some of you gave good advice but telling to just grow up is f-ed up on your part. you odn tknow me or what is going on.. my layover is lv and im going to california because thats the last time i see my husband because hes going to iraq next week. so thanks.

Mature grown ups take responsibility for their actions. I hardly believe that getting two (2) warrants and skipping out on your jail sentence in any way shows responsibility on your part.

Nice try, though.

chewy
08-24-08, 07:49 PM
Mature grown ups take responsibility for their actions. I hardly believe that getting two (2) warrants and skipping out on your jail sentence in any way shows responsibility on your part.

Nice try, though.

+1...

being late on a car or house payment because of family hardship is an adult thing... having warrants for your arrest is just rediculous and unexcusable. If your a friggin punk then you don't take care of them and just hope they never catch up to you (hint... they ALWAYS do) or if you're a mature purson you go in and take care of them before it makes things worse.

Big Sexy
08-24-08, 08:07 PM

*Boo woo* "My husband is in the military and going to be deployed to Iraq. That should automatically excuse me from two warrants that I might have accumulated".*Boo woo*

Like others on this forum, better than BIG, have already told you. Grow the "F" up and take care of your responsibilities, before it negatively effects your husband.

cntryboy0531
08-24-08, 10:31 PM
Go find a state trooper that doesnt have his hat on. Have him run your name. Since he doesn't have his hat on and he discovers your warrants, he's required by law to have the warrants voided since he didn't have his hat on when he found them.

JakeLock
08-25-08, 01:20 AM
So how many of us here have been sent to Iraq and had a significant other who didn't and wouldn't have any warrants? For anything. Lady, you really do need to grow up.

marinepilot
08-25-08, 03:19 AM

Personally, I hope you DO fly to see your husband, and that they DO run your ID and find your warrants, and summarily arrest you and thereby keep you from seeing your husband before he goes and does something honorable.

He obviously knows how to be a "grown up" and handle his responsibilities, unlike you, his on-the-lamb wife.

You're an affront to his very nature, you're everything he is not. He has accepted his duty and is facing it with honor. If you make it to see him before he leaves you will do nothing but tarnish his patriotism by making him an accessory to your ridiculous crimes.

I spent over 20 years in the military and would NEVER have hung out with someone like you.

Best of luck to your husband, I'll keep him in my prayers as he honorably serves his country, of which he is so proud.

I'll also keep the security staff of whichever airports you fly through in my prayers, and trust the Lord will make them find you out and bring you to justice.

1depd
08-25-08, 08:32 AM
I'm not going to belittle you or talk down to you, though I do agree with what others have said. You're an adult and know your error. Having the warrant is a second charge in addition to the conviction. I've seen the prosecutor willing to drop the second charge for those who turn themselves in. They're willingness to drop it if you are caught is inversely proportional to the distance required to travel to bring you to jail. Most of the people I've caught with warrants were in the middle of something and it was the worst possible time for them to go to jail.

Turn yourself in, then you don't have to live worrying if you're going to be caught.

GoDirectly2Jail
08-25-08, 09:58 AM
I don't know why you would expect a forum full of law enforcement officers to have a different opinion... :confused:

Piggy
08-25-08, 04:55 PM
I'm with 1depd. You really need to start thinking of someone besides yourself. You were suspended because of bad behavior, not because of random chance. You got caught not going by the rules so you were given some sort of ticket.

Now you forced an Officer to go to court and spend his off duty time away from his family, only so you could think of yourself once again and not show up to take responsibility for your own actions.

You were supposed to serve sentence which in my experience doesn't happen unless you are a really poor driver. More personnel, taxpayer money, and wasting more time of the Officers only for you to once again not take responsibility and show up.

Now you are using someone in the military as an excuse as to why you should continue to to be held accountable for your own actions. Chances are, you'll be arrested and forced to serve your sentence while he is in harm's way giving him stuff that he shouldn't have to worry about.

On top of that, you come to a Police Forum after the above is all said and done, asking for advice on how to further get by without taking responsibility for your own action and you get ticked off when people are truthful about your behavior.

Hopefully he makes it home safely and finds someone else who can put others before themselves.

chewy
08-25-08, 05:02 PM
I don't know why you would expect a forum full of law enforcement officers to have a different opinion... :confused:

:rolleyes: You're not very bright then Mr. GoDirectly... Obviously all cops are hypocrites and only force the law on others because we get a thrill out of pushing people around. Everyone knows that cops don't actually obey the laws they are sworn and sacrificed so much to get and keep the job they have that requires it. :rolleyes: Sheessh!

GoDirectly2Jail
08-25-08, 08:23 PM
Heh, heh...