Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : CBPO vs. Border Patrol Agent

UMD
07-16-08, 07:32 PM
can anyone tell me the difference between the two, if any?

Big Sexy
07-16-08, 08:43 PM

A simple Google search provided the following:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/customs_careers/

sparty
07-16-08, 09:36 PM
One wears a green uniform, one wears a blue uniform.:D But seriously, check out the CBP website at www.cbp.gov.

Grift
07-17-08, 09:40 AM
Typically, I believe the CBP does not allow you to ride a horse or an ATV through the airport you're stationed at. I could be wrong.

In one job, most people you encounter will have a passport. In the other, almost nobody will.

Border Patrol is under CBP and as I understand it is primarily responsible for patrolling the borders to stop illegal crossing, smuggling, etc. CBP is the umbrella agency. I have a buddy who is training to be a CBPO, and he'll be working an airport.

charlydevo
07-17-08, 10:51 AM
According to the media, there is no difference.

But, in reality, there is a world of difference. CBP Officers work at ports of entry. Border Patrol Agents work between ports of entry (the desert or the woods) and do what their name implies; they patrol.

The Border Patrol falls under the administrative control of Customs and Border Protection, which is why they are often mistakenly misconstrued as Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officers. The relationship is much like that of the Navy and the Marine Corps. They fall under the same umbrella, but they are not the same.

UMD
07-17-08, 05:36 PM
thanks guys. Just wondering because my buddy is doing border patrol and i have the CBPO test next week and he was trying to tell me they were the same thing just different titles. thanks again

Kimble
07-17-08, 06:23 PM
Just wondering because my buddy is doing border patrol and i have the CBPO test next week and he was trying to tell me they were the same thing just different titles.

Your buddy is "doing" Border Patrol as in he is an agent, or he's applying to be one? Sounds like he needs to do a LOT more research, as CBP Officers and Border Patrol Agents are two very different jobs in two very different environments.

Big Sexy
07-17-08, 07:57 PM

Just wondering because my buddy is doing border patrol and i have the CBPO test next week and he was trying to tell me they were the same thing just different titles

Sounds like he needs to do a LOT more research, as CBP Officers and Border Patrol Agents are two very different jobs in two very different environments.

BIG can't speak for others here, but he never, ever, ever took an exam for any position and didn't know what the positions duties and responsibilities were, much less not know the difference between it and another position.

Not to be an @$$ or anything, but since neither you or your buddy has done even an iota of research into the positions for which you're testing. Here's hoping neither one of you pass your respective exams. The last thing we need are two slackers looking to carrying a firearm.

UMD
07-18-08, 02:46 PM
well said big sexy, well said

Kimble
07-18-08, 02:49 PM
well said big sexy, well said

:confused:

Did you actually read his response?

UMD
07-18-08, 03:47 PM
and he's absolutely right. i know the general job description for both the CBPO and the border agent, but i should have done more research into what exactly distinguishes the two positions. I'm not here to get into sparring matches with people, I'm here to ask questions and familarize myself with what to expect from these job application processes from people that have done it before. If you guys want to come down on me and start throwing insults out there, that's your perogative. I know I'm not a slacker and am as qualified and hard-working as anyone within these agencies.

BP348
07-18-08, 06:23 PM
Do some research and then ask your questions. There are several here who are either CBPO's or USBP.

Just to make it clear your friend dosen't have a F'ing clue!! USBP and CBPO is not the same job with different title. Many aspects may be similar but there is a big difference.

normal1
07-18-08, 07:37 PM
Anyone know who I should contact about testing? You know, a phone number. That website is as easy to read as mud.

Thanks!

audi0xpl0de
07-18-08, 08:28 PM
Anyone know who I should contact about testing? You know, a phone number. That website is as easy to read as mud.

Thanks!

What do you mean? You mean to schedule the exam? While you're applying you should select a city that has testing available and then a date and time is assigned to you.

Kimble
07-18-08, 11:12 PM
If you guys want to come down on me and start throwing insults out there, that's your perogative.

Take a breather, kid. No one is "coming down on you." Your response to Big Sexy seemed odd for what he said, but if you took his advice to heart, no problem. No one is going to get down on you for not knowing the answer to something and simply trying to find out more. Since that seems to be the case, I don't think anyone will have issue with that (certainly not me). :)

hey_scooter
07-22-08, 02:30 PM
Quick side question.

Does anyone know if the initial BPA test and the CBPO test batteries (Logical reasoning, ALT/proficiency) are the same, and if so can one use the scores interchangeably? Thanks in advance.

audi0xpl0de
07-22-08, 03:01 PM
Quick side question.

Does anyone know if the initial BPA test and the CBPO test batteries (Logical reasoning, ALT/proficiency) are the same, and if so can one use the scores interchangeably? Thanks in advance.

Not the same.

chewy
07-22-08, 06:18 PM
The biggest difference is that CBPO's Kick **** and BP Agents Suck ****!!!

Of course we sit on our butts and do nothing and they have cool cars and sweet weapons and four wheelers and all... :D

normal1
07-22-08, 07:51 PM
I'm gonna catch heat for this.. but "I heard" (yeah I know..) that you get assigned to the area nearest where you "processed" (for both CBPO and BPA). Is this true? :rolleyes:

I sound like such a newbie ugggh

hey_scooter
07-22-08, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna catch heat for this.. but "I heard" (yeah I know..) that you get assigned to the area nearest where you "processed" (for both CBPO and BPA). Is this true? :rolleyes:

I think they do their best to slot you with your geographical location preference (which is probably where people test out of most of the time). You choose your preference doing the initial online questionnaire. Obviously, there are no guarantees on getting your preference.

audi0xpl0de
07-22-08, 09:09 PM
I think they do their best to slot you with your geographical location preference (which is probably where people test out of most of the time). You choose your preference doing the initial online questionnaire. Obviously, there are no guarantees on getting your preference.

What happens if your location listed in the application is an entire state yet there is 10 locations in the state. I'd be willing to work any of the locations, but I do have top preferences.

North Patrol
07-22-08, 11:33 PM
The biggest difference is that CBPO's Kick **** and BP Agents Suck ****!!!:D

Oh Chewy, where to start. :rolleyes: Just think of it this way: When CBP gets in trouble they call the Border Patrol and when the Border Patrol get in to trouble they hadle it themselves!! :)

Under CBP you have OFO, Office of Field Operations (CBP Officers) and OBP, Office of the Border Patrol (BP Agents).

Think of it like a police department with BP being the tactical teams and CBP being the metermaids. :D

Nothin' but love brother in blue. I know better than to piss off a man brave enough to wear a kilt.

hey_scooter
07-22-08, 11:38 PM
What happens if your location listed in the application is an entire state yet there is 10 locations in the state. I'd be willing to work any of the locations, but I do have top preferences.

I'm not sure, hopefully a BPA can answer this. As far as I know when they give you the final offer, they tell you where you're going to work. I've been told that if you don't like it, you can ask them to opt out in which case they will just put your name back on the list of people that they need to fill into a spot, and try to match you up again. If it doesn't happen again, then you're SOL.

Again, I don't know exactly how it works, so take it for a grain of salt.

audi0xpl0de
07-23-08, 05:34 AM
Should have clarified. It was for a CBPO position.

puma2
07-26-08, 05:15 PM

My understanding is that for BPA, you will spend your first tour on the border with Mexico.

BP348
07-26-08, 09:40 PM
My understanding is that for BPA, you will spend your first tour on the border with Mexico.

For the most part that's true.. but USBP is going to start a program where they hire people straight to the northern border.

North Patrol
07-27-08, 02:47 AM
For the most part that's true.. but USBP is going to start a program where they hire people straight to the northern border.

We already have a few hired under this "hybrid" or "interm" position. In our sector it's refered to as the 'kidnap a cop" program, because that is who we are targeting.

aggie7214
07-28-09, 08:40 PM
CBPO works at a port of entry - technically called a Federal Inspection Station (FIS) - which can be an airport, seaport or land border. A Border Patrol Agent is responsible for the area between the ports of entry on the land borders up to 90 miles inland.

A CBPO's authority at the FIS is basically unlimited. They can and will search through everything you own - your purse/wallet, breifcase, luggage, vehicle/boat/aircraft. Only exception is for diplomats. However, that authority ends when they leave the FIS. Border Patrol Agents do not have the same authority and are pretty much limited to the same rules as a regular police officer.

The one entry was correct, they both are under the CBP umbrella, but that is where the similarity ends. They rarely work together. They do not share any common facilities, vehicles/boats/aircraft. And until last year, a CBPO was not considered "law enforcement." As of July 2008, CBPOs were given "6C" or LEO coverage.

Kimble
07-28-09, 08:58 PM
aggie, this thread has been dead for a year.

Big Sexy
07-28-09, 09:20 PM
CBPO works at a port of entry - technically called a Federal Inspection Station (FIS) - which can be an airport, seaport or land border. A Border Patrol Agent is responsible for the area between the ports of entry on the land borders up to 90 miles inland.

A CBPO's authority at the FIS is basically unlimited. They can and will search through everything you own - your purse/wallet, breifcase, luggage, vehicle/boat/aircraft. Only exception is for diplomats. However, that authority ends when they leave the FIS. Border Patrol Agents do not have the same authority and are pretty much limited to the same rules as a regular police officer.

The one entry was correct, they both are under the CBP umbrella, but that is where the similarity ends. They rarely work together. They do not share any common facilities, vehicles/boats/aircraft. And until last year, a CBPO was not considered "law enforcement." As of July 2008, CBPOs were given "6C" or LEO coverage.

First, as has been pointed out to you, this thread is a year old. A YEAR OLD!

Secondly, FIS, really? No one calls a POE a FIS. FEB maybe, when it applies, but definitely not FIS.

Third, we have enough CBPO's, BPA's, ICE Officers & ICE SA's, who have explained the difference ad nauseam,

Fourth, your explanation of BP's limitations are far from accurate. You may be surprised to know, anything crossing between the POE's, BP can do an entire "border search".

Fifth, where did you get the number 90 miles inland? Again, you're spouting incorrect misinformation.

Sixth, CBP does not have 6C. They have some CBP version of the equivalent, but by statute, it isn't 6C.

How about you sulk on over to the Rap Section & maybe think about an introduction. Anything would be better than the post with which you've started your RP tenure. :rolleyes:

Big Sexy
07-29-09, 10:32 AM
Guess BIG's new best friend, aggie7214, thought better of introducing himself to the group or responding on his attempt at misinformation.

BP348
07-29-09, 03:09 PM
What a first post :eek:

Big maybe you scared him that's why he didn't sulk over to the "Rap Section" and introduce himself. :D

Big Sexy
07-29-09, 03:26 PM
Big maybe you scared him that's why he didn't sulk over to the "Rap Section" and introduce himself. :D

Are you saying that BIG's new, kinder & more approachable persona isn't working as intended? :confused: ;)

GoDirectly2Jail
07-29-09, 03:43 PM
Yeah, ya big meanie! :p

MyOwnNemesis
07-29-09, 06:17 PM

You know I thought I read a posting for the Northern Border and I believe that it said there would be a x number of months on the Southern Border before transfer. Also think it specified Spanish requirements....Kinda odd for hangin out with the Canadians?