Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : How long does 911 keep the ...

What the heck?
07-16-08, 12:47 PM
How long do they keep the recordings of incoming calls? I'm in Houston and working on a piece (lit) that I'd would like the facts before I get in trouble. Where do I find this information at?

GoDirectly2Jail
07-16-08, 04:34 PM
How long do they keep the recordings of incoming calls? I'm in Houston and working on a piece (lit) that I'd would like the facts before I get in trouble. Where do I find this information at?

Why do you want to know how long recordings are kept? What is the "piece (lit)" that you are working on that would get you in trouble? What state are you in? What locality? What did you do?

What the heck, indeed.

mcsap
07-16-08, 06:03 PM
SO........what did you do anyway ?

MrJim911
07-16-08, 10:39 PM
Depends on the state, municipality, etc... Could be as little as 6 months, could be as long as 3 years.

You will need to file a FOIA request with the 911 center or city/county.

JakeLock
07-17-08, 04:20 AM
What the hell is piece (lit)?

Either way stop being a douchbeag

iluvpopo
07-17-08, 11:17 AM
Do you mean like a piece of literature? and you will get in trouble if you don't get it done on time? Thats the only sence I could make out of your question...

What the heck?
07-17-08, 11:22 AM
I'm working on a piece of fiction (lit). I don't want a fictional character doing something that would not legally be possible...thus getting into trouble. Character is going to have enough problems anyway. As for me...I have done nothing wrong that I know of except ask a question.
I don't want to be painting LEO's in a bad light. I don't want to make it tougher for ANYONE because of a piece of fiction that may not ever even see the light of day (I'm just in the process of getting the background/setting and plot details worked out). However, I do want to the piece to be believable and accurate in describing/portraying a LEO's job and how far one would go to help some one out in a difficult situation.
I really don't know anyone locally, on a personal basis, or I would be asking my questions of them, as I would be able to go into specifics with them and get more detailed questions answered.

GoDirectly2Jail
07-17-08, 12:30 PM
You may be able to get your information for free by contacting the Houston PD's media relations contact.

Also, there are several officers on here that may be willing to be a professional consultant for your book for a reasonable fee. You will be selling it for a profit, I assume? And before you you say, "Surely, you must be joking", let me just say that it has been done on this board before.

...and don't call me Surely. :cool:

Lena
07-18-08, 01:55 AM
You wanna make certain your piece of fiction(lit) is factual... teeheeeeee. Sorry... just sayin... ;)

Creeker
07-18-08, 09:14 AM
You wanna make certain your piece of fiction(lit) is factual... teeheeeeee. Sorry... just sayin... ;)

Apparently he wants "factual fictional"... I can appreciate that. ;)

But most Cops don't work in Dispatch centers.:o

iluvpopo
07-19-08, 11:53 AM
As a former dispatcher I can tell you the amount of time a tape is kept really depends on the department and situation. If it is a serious 911 call it will be kept for years, because it may be needed in court. If it is a noise complaint (barking dog call) it is only kept for 90 days. Most 911 calls are kept a MINIMUM of 90 days...

TJMS81
07-24-08, 05:47 AM
Are you looking for a specific case or just officer/dispatcher interactions in general? May be cheaper and easier to get a scanner.

StationM
07-24-08, 04:22 PM
As others have said, it's agency specific, mostly based on storage space.

My agency keeps tapes for 6 months, and CAD archives for a year. The only exception would be high profile cases where copies had been requested for trials.

They are legal documents, and subject to subpoena, although we have retained many for training purposes.

I appreciate someone taking the time to get details right - always bugs me when authors have their characters do things that would never fly in the real world.