Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : driving without a hood

rtyauch301
07-14-08, 01:48 AM
ok so my car was hit someone ran a red light. but anyway iv already replaced the bumper and fender with parts from the junk yard. but they didnt have a hood and it is being shipped. so is it legal to drive in ohio without a hood till it gets here.

kels
07-14-08, 02:14 AM
depends on where you live.

Call your local State Police or Highway Patrol and ask them

mcsap
07-14-08, 10:21 PM
Not legal in your neighbor state to the east. :)

retdetsgt
07-15-08, 12:38 AM
Not legal in your neighbor state to the east. :)

Really? Why's that?

BJJVad
07-15-08, 05:08 PM
ok so my car was hit someone ran a red light. but anyway iv already replaced the bumper and fender with parts from the junk yard. but they didnt have a hood and it is being shipped. so is it legal to drive in ohio without a hood till it gets here.

http://route66.backroadsplanet.com/imagescars/c-mater.jpeg

I used to know this girl Doreen. Good-lookin' girl, looked just like a Jaguar... only she was a truck. I used to crash into her just so I could spoke to her.

mcsap
07-15-08, 05:50 PM
Really? Why's that?

Our equipment regulations require that every vehicle on the road have a hood. It does allow open sides to the engine compartment though.

retdetsgt
07-15-08, 07:40 PM
Our equipment regulations require that every vehicle on the road have a hood. It does allow open sides to the engine compartment though.

I just wondered how that could possibly effect public safety? Fenders, doors, etc., yeah, but a hood is primarily ornamental. I can't see how exposing the engine would be a problem... If you hit a pedestrian and he lands on the engine, you have more trouble than just not having a hood would entail.:D

mcsap
07-15-08, 09:01 PM
I'm just an insignificant po-po , I am not a person with an in at the Dept of Trans :)

retdetsgt
07-16-08, 12:21 AM
I'm just an insignificant po-po , I am not a person with an in at the Dept of Trans :)

Yep, it would take people more significant than us to come up with some of that crap....

Years ago, the legislature here thought it would be a good revenue gathering device to raise bail and fines on traffic offenses to ridiculous amounts. What happened was, the bails were so high that most cops quit writing tickets and started issuing warnings instead. The fines were completely unfair for the offenses that somebody had to be a real jerk before I'd write them. The next year they lowered them to more reasonable levels.

mcsap
07-16-08, 06:54 PM
Yep, it would take people more significant than us to come up with some of that crap....

Years ago, the legislature here thought it would be a good revenue gathering device to raise bail and fines on traffic offenses to ridiculous amounts. What happened was, the bails were so high that most cops quit writing tickets and started issuing warnings instead. The fines were completely unfair for the offenses that somebody had to be a real jerk before I'd write them. The next year they lowered them to more reasonable levels.

They just did this here a couple of years ago. An abandoned vehicle fine used to be $50 plus costs ( around $130.00) Now the 1st offense is $500 , 2nd is $1,000 and the 3rd offense is a Misd 3rd criminal charge.