Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Ayanik7
07-04-08, 12:06 PM
I live in Los Angeles, CA and got a traffic ticket on May 31. The court appearance date on the ticket says July 18. So it's been 5 weeks and I have not yet received a courtesy notice in the mail. I checked the metropolitan court's records and they have no traffic tickets under my driver's license.

How can I pay this ticket and get over with it? If i go to the courthouse before the court date, can I walk up to the clerk and pay it? Or since the ticket is not on file do I HAVE to appear on the court date?

Thanks!
Happy 4th!

Johninaustin
07-04-08, 12:20 PM
I don't live in Cali, But we don't send out "courtesy letters". You ALREADY have notice in your copy of the ticket.

Personally? I'd show up for court or pay the fine before the court date. Just go to the window at the court clerk's office

Legoate
07-04-08, 01:13 PM
When you signed your ticket, you were signing a promise to appear in court or pay your fine before the court date. It is possible that the cite was lost or just hasn't been processed. However, if you don't pay before the date or show up in court on the court date the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest and the fine will go up, along with another larger fine for failing to appear.

Real life example: Person gets a fix-it ticket for no front plate (a $10 correction fee). Person doesn't show up in court so a warrant is issued. The fine for the plate goes to the default $190 fine, plus about $700 in fines for not appearing in court.

Moral of the story: Make sure you can show proof that you at least attempted to take care of the cite before the court date or it can get very expensive (and embarrassing if you get arrested on your next traffic stop).

retdetsgt
07-04-08, 01:26 PM
I dunno about California, but up here all the instructions for taking care of the ticket are printed on the back of the citation you received. Did you look?

And the 18th is a couple of weeks away, they may not process them until just before the court date.:confused:

Ayanik7
07-05-08, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I am definitely going to show up on the court date. That's without a question.

I was just asking if I could pay the ticket early at the clerks desk before the court date. They don't have my ticket on file. So i was wondering if it was worth waiting 1 hour in line at the clerks counter. Not knowing if they will accept payment or reject it because the ticket is not processed yet. If they reject payment, hopefully I'll get a document at least stating i tried to pay the ticket.

Guess if all fails I'll just wait and show up on the court date.

Creeker
07-05-08, 04:19 AM
I was just asking if I could pay the ticket early at the clerks desk before the court date. They don't have my ticket on file. So i was wondering if it was worth waiting 1 hour in line at the clerks counter. Not knowing if they will accept payment or reject it because the ticket is not processed yet. If they reject payment, hopefully I'll get a document at least stating i tried to pay the ticket.

Guess if all fails I'll just wait and show up on the court date.

I think your question has been answered.

If you dont want to "waste your time" by standing in line and then having the payment refused, you can always take your ticket with you to prove that you owe it, rather than "accidentally forget it" and the clerk not having anything to reference the payment to apply to what or whose ticket.

If you'd rather risk missing your court date accidentally(:rolleyes:) and then the trip to jail at your next traffic stop, the strip search, the delousing, the bunkmate by the name of "Javier" until the court opens in the morning, all in the hopes of collecting a Lawsuit because "I tried to pay the ticket, but the window clerk refused it"... its all been tried before.:rolleyes:

This ain't our first Rodeo...

Ayanik7
07-09-08, 08:16 AM
UPDATE:

I went to the courthouse yesterday before the appearance date to pay for the ticket. The clerk refused payment saying she can't do anything because the ticket is not in her system. She advised I show up again on the appearance date, and if it is still not in the system they are going to try to do some extension and contact the citing officer.

Oh how much fun due process is...

Jay7376
07-09-08, 04:05 PM
You were given a specific date to show up. Why try to show up on a different date. The court date you received was specifically assigned to you.

It would be like going to the doctor's office and saying "I know my appointment isn't until next week, but I would like see the doctor now"

It just doesn't work that way.

Ayanik7
07-18-08, 09:56 PM

UPDATE:

I went to court today. The clerk gave me a document stating I showed up on the court date, however the ticket was not in the system, so the court could not do anything. Also, they pointed out the citing officer did not specify the specific courthouse on the ticket.

They recommended that I once a week check the LA Superior Court website to see when the officer processes the ticket.

QUESTION:

How long do I have to check if the ticket is processed? Is there a statute stating the length of time the citing officer has to process the ticket?

Thanks!!
Have a great weekend!!

mcsap
07-18-08, 10:03 PM
In my state , we dont process tickets. After I write/file it, it goes to the minor judiciary for processing.

ChesCopPodz
07-19-08, 12:04 AM
Usually it's one year that charges can be filed for something minor.

It's possible the ticket got lost. Could be the officer's fault, could be the person who hand delivers the tickets to the court's fault, could be the person who received it at the court's fault. If so it's your lucky day.