Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Insignia placement

CelicaGuy
05-22-08, 06:33 PM
So my post just now started handing out insignia. Now the problem is, they do not have any guidelines right now as to what is supposed to go where. I searched the web and all I found was posts that have the insignia, and how to place them if they have X amount of ribbons.

What I am looking for is if there is a certain "way" to put them on, such as X color goes toward the right side of the uniform, and so on. I am kind of clueless to this subject, so if someone could guide me to where I could find this information, they will be given some rep.

ILCadet401
05-22-08, 08:21 PM
Hmmmm...what kind of insignia are you talking about? Collar brass, the sew on rank-patches, or something else?

CelicaGuy
05-22-08, 11:33 PM
The ribbons/awards you get for like tenure, law enforcement training, crime prevention!

Piggy
05-22-08, 11:37 PM
Most of that is going to be different amongst agencies. I've seen some agencies wear badges on their shirt flap, most are above though. Some wear flags on both sides, some on one side.

CelicaGuy
05-22-08, 11:42 PM
Well then what does YOUR post/PD do!

rmdan14
05-23-08, 09:49 AM
We have those ribbons above our badges. We put our badges on a holder (usually black leather) & the ribbons are stacked, one above the other.

Drummadude
05-23-08, 03:40 PM
We don't have ribbons. No leather holder like the NYPD, but we do wear our (optional self bought) name bars under our badge.

Some explorers have a US flag insignia bar that they wear on their right side above the pocket or on the flap.

ILCadet401
05-24-08, 12:11 AM
Yeah, my post doesn't do anything like that either. I wear an American flag pin over my nametag, but thats it.

CelicaGuy
05-24-08, 01:08 AM
We have name plates above our right pocket, and the "badge" (cloth) is above the left. I know your insignia goes above the right pocket and ABOVE the name tag, but other then that I am CLUELESS, maybe the military guys on this forum will jump in and tell me the "military" way. I know certain colors are supposed to go to the inside but I am unaware of what colors/ light v. dark go to which side.

JakeLock
05-24-08, 01:16 AM
Well I can't really help you, and as for the military way of doing things... We have a strict guideline as to how to wear our ribbons. They tell us where they all go. I've never heard of placing this color to this inside and this one out.

CelicaGuy
05-24-08, 02:03 AM
Hmmmm.....alright, thanks for the imput jake, I guess I will just write the guidelines for my post, I will make the color thing just so we are all the same when it comes to apperhence, thank you all for the in-put, and for all the other explorers here is what I am talking about. I think it is a great idea and EVERY post should have them.

http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/scholarships/pdf/leprof.pdf

Also, there is an order form attached to that site as well, and it explains the cost of them.

ExplorerEL12
06-11-08, 12:52 PM
For my post, you typically put the ribbons in the order you receive them onto your uniform. They go on the top seam above the right breast pocket (Left if your looking right at us) As for rank insignia, we don't use sew-on insignia, we use collar pins, so no advice here. Hope this helps.

nadler20
06-11-08, 02:36 PM
Since there are 13 total ribbons you can align them in 3 rows of 4 with the 13th (Explorer of the year) centered at the top. As far as placement of the salad, try and fit the first 3 rows on your left pocket flap and most likely you will have the EOY just above it, below the badge.

For the ribbon order, start off with the first one centered (duh!) and once you receive another one, the first is shifted towards the buttons of your shirt. Once you reach 4 on the line, the fifth is centered on top and the process repeats itself, always having EOY at the top most position.

If that's too cluttered you can move it to the other side and move your name plate badge side.

Anyway just my .02. Play with it and you'll figure something out.

Edit: Hmmm just noticed the date, so how'd you decide to do it CG?