Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : cops have to take drunks home?

lillypad
05-01-08, 12:39 PM
is it true that if someone goes to a bar and gets drunk and does not want to drink and drive they can call the police and they have to take you home?

Old Trooper
05-01-08, 12:55 PM
Not in my neighborhood!!

lillypad
05-01-08, 12:59 PM
i am in california but i heard it on the news or t.v a long time ago. i asked my friend that was a cop and he said yes they have to but nobody is suppose to know that. i just wanted to double check. so you were never told that by anyone?

lillypad
05-01-08, 01:03 PM
are you a police officer? i need an answer from a police officer. i apologize if im not doing this right. my first time

Joeyd6
05-01-08, 01:07 PM
Why do you need a answer from a police officer?

Homework?

lillypad
05-01-08, 01:28 PM
that's why i am on here. am i in the wrong section? it says on the home page "ask a real police officer a question".

lillypad
05-01-08, 01:31 PM
i still have another question that hasn't been answered either.
what is the difference between bac "blood alcohol content" and ibac ?

Samuel
05-01-08, 01:35 PM
that's why i am on here. am i in the wrong section? it says on the home page "ask a real police officer a question".

:rolleyes: according to you -

i am in california but i heard it on the news or t.v a long time ago. i asked my friend that was a cop and he said yes they have to but nobody is suppose to know that. i just wanted to double check. so you were never told that by anyone?

you already asked a "real" police officer...

GoDirectly2Jail
05-01-08, 02:02 PM
cops have to take drunks home?
No, that's what Taxi's are for. If you call the police to come and take you home, --and they actually respond, it will probably be to take you to the Greybar Motel for a little sobering up.

If you are really interesting in learning what the police are required to do, a good place to state would be California laws and statutes...

smcc360
05-01-08, 02:03 PM
is it true that if someone goes to a bar and gets drunk and does not want to drink and drive they can call the police and they have to take you home?

A common misconception.

It's actually the fire department which handles that. In New York, demand was so high that they had to create a seperate division to drive drunks home, the Chauffer All Boozers program. They're easily identifiable by the yellow vehicles they operate, as opposed to the bright red trucks of the fire-fighting firemen.

I've heard that its becoming so popular that even sober people are riding in CABs now. Just more proof that firemen are awesome.

what is the difference between bac "blood alcohol content" and ibac ?

'IBAC' is Imputed Blood Alcohol Content. I've most often seen the term used in court cases where BAC testing was unavailable/refused, or in traffic fatality reports.

JakeLock
05-01-08, 02:16 PM
We aren't a taxi service, so no, here not true. We do not give rides home, rides to detox yes.

BJJVad
05-01-08, 02:19 PM

Is she hot? Yes.

A guy? No way.

patchcop
05-01-08, 02:36 PM
In Germany you can try to call the police to bring you home after you paid the bill for all the alcoholics you have consumed in the bar.

After the call two nice officers will pick you up, check your personal dates and write a nice report for missusing an emergency phone number. And maybe, they will be so very nice to bring you to a nice state owned hotel with grey iron doors and All Inclusive service. There you can sleep the whole night until you will be able to drive home by yourself.

In fact, the cops have to transport drunks home is the same BS like the hat thing.

GoDirectly2Jail
05-01-08, 02:45 PM
In fact, the cops have to transport drunks home is the same BS like the hat thing.

Shhh! The hat thing is true I tell you! :D

Kimble
05-01-08, 03:04 PM
A common misconception.

It's actually the fire department which handles that.

That's why FF's have the larger trucks. More room to cart drunks around all night. :rolleyes:

patchcop
05-01-08, 03:32 PM
Shhh! The hat thing is true I tell you! :D

You're a supervisor, aren't you?????:D;)

GoDirectly2Jail
05-01-08, 04:28 PM
The funny thing, is that I actually am a supervisor! :eek:

WellAdvised
05-01-08, 04:35 PM

If they are more senior in rank only.

phantasm
05-01-08, 06:32 PM
If you're intoxicated, and I encounter you, 3 options, leave on your own, go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to jail in a police car.

mcsap
05-01-08, 08:39 PM
I'll consider taking ANY drunk home ...AFTER they are arrested.

Joeyd6
05-01-08, 09:35 PM
That's why FF's have the larger trucks. More room to cart drunks around all night. :rolleyes:

LMAO!

Legoate
05-02-08, 12:12 AM
I'm in CA and I can say I did drive one drunk home. Of course, I had towed off her car and taken her friend to jail, but I couldn't just leave her on the freeway.

Generally, if someone is so drunk they can't find their way home, I find them a ride to sober up for the night... at the county jail.

drummer-eman
05-02-08, 04:44 PM

And I believe it also says in bright red Only real cops answer in Ask a Cop"
or someting like that...

If it says VERIFIED LEO in blue above our name, we are just that. VERIFIED AND REAL

Legoate
05-02-08, 09:36 PM
If it says VERIFIED LEO in blue above our name, we are just that. VERIFIED AND REAL

Well, I don't agree with that. I'm verfied but I'm not real. I mean...what is real...

if you swallow the red pill......

if you swallow the blue pill......

And for crissakes, don't toke on the pointy cigarette!

Tater
05-02-08, 09:41 PM
I am paid to enforce state law, and nowhere in the Penal code does it say that I have to provide rides for drunks. If you want or need a ride home, call Yellow Cab, because if I get dispatched, the only ride your going to get is to the same place everyone else is going to take you. Jail, but i won't run the meter on the way down there, the ride will be compliments of me.

Ispbear
05-02-08, 11:49 PM
To try to be nice , I have heard of a few departments on special nights such as, New Years eve and Saint Patrick's day have stated that the police will give people a ride home. It was an backward attempt at PR to try to reduce drunk driving. Don't agree with it, but have heard of it. But this was only on special nights. If you call your local police and tell them your drunk and need a ride, mostly likely they will show up and give you a ride to the local station after arresting you for public intoxication.

deputywave
05-03-08, 03:18 PM
I sold my taxi medallion on eBay, so the only way I'm taking you home is if you reside at the county hotel.

To answer your other question........

ibac is a brand new product from Apple. It is a consumer model portable breath test/mp3 player. Available next summer in 15 fashionable colors.

:D

phantasm
05-03-08, 07:54 PM
I sold my taxi medallion on eBay, so the only way I'm taking you home is if you reside at the county hotel.

To answer your other question........

ibac is a brand new product from Apple. It is a consumer model portable breath test/mp3 player. Available next summer in 15 fashionable colors.
:D

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/09/ipod_breathalyzer.jpg

Thats the iBreath.....

:)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/12/ibreath-your-ipod-powered-breathalyzer/

ChesCopPodz
05-03-08, 11:22 PM
For me, it depends. If I encounter a drunk who isn't an idiot, and may have spent too much on drinks to catch a cab but wasn't stupid enough to get behind the wheel, I may. Depending on how far he/she lives. If it's closer to the person's house than it is to the jail, I'll drop them off at home as long as they are polite and not idiots.

Drunks acting like idiots or people who have had WAY too much to drink go to lock up