Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Hockey9019
04-28-08, 03:36 AM
Another member decided to give me a middle of the night phone call the other night...you know who you are ;)...but I didn't answer. Anyway, they live in another state and was dealing with a drunk out in the front yard. The front yard was the front yard of an apartment building/duplex type housing.

The subject stated he was from our lovely state and here, you can drink in your front yard and its not "Drunk in Public/Public Intox/Drinking in public"

I told him I never really heard of any laws, but I would look into it. I don't think its a state law, maybe a local ordinance if anything.

But with it being an Apartment/Duplex, you might get further by letting the landlord know what type of activities are going on, on their premises ;)

Anyway I was just wondering the official answer to this. Can you drink on your property, such as the front yard?

If this is state law, I don't think its going to be really enforced hard, unless your being a complete idiot, or making a scene (same thing)

Norm357
04-28-08, 03:46 AM
Can you drink on your property, such as the front yard?

yes.;)

Hockey9019
04-28-08, 03:48 AM
Coming from a redneck such as yourself, I knew you would have the answer ;) :p

But thats in Ga :p

MP_Steve
04-28-08, 04:37 AM
Here if you're drunk beyond being able to maintain a safe, forward momentum to where you're going or you fall asleep in public: you're going to jail.

normal1
04-28-08, 04:48 AM
In an apartment complex? Yeah thats DIP.. now his house.. I dont know.

Of course i'm not a cop and I dont play one online :p

Ispbear
04-28-08, 10:13 AM
In an apartment complex it would be considered public intox in my state but if it was his own house then no. However if he was being loud and screaming and the neighbors complained you could take him for disturbing the peace.

DepDog
04-28-08, 11:24 AM
Another member decided to give me a middle of the night phone call the other night...you know who you are ;)...but I didn't answer. Anyway, they live in another state and was dealing with a drunk out in the front yard. The front yard was the front yard of an apartment building/duplex type housing.

The subject stated he was from our lovely state and here, you can drink in your front yard and its not "Drunk in Public/Public Intox/Drinking in public"

I told him I never really heard of any laws, but I would look into it. I don't think its a state law, maybe a local ordinance if anything.

But with it being an Apartment/Duplex, you might get further by letting the landlord know what type of activities are going on, on their premises ;)

Anyway I was just wondering the official answer to this. Can you drink on your property, such as the front yard?

If this is state law, I don't think its going to be really enforced hard, unless your being a complete idiot, or making a scene (same thing)

There is no state law in Michigan against drinking in your front yard. Yes you could be arrested for public intox. if you were causing a disturbance, being dangerous to yourself or others around you.

The city I work in has an oridinance against drinking on the sidewalk or out in the street.

Jay7376
04-28-08, 11:31 AM
There is no state law in Michigan against drinking in your front yard. Yes you could be arrested for public intox. if you were causing a disturbance, being dangerous to yourself or others around you.

The city I work in has an oridinance against drinking on the sidewalk or out in the street.

ditto

Not a crime to simply be drunk in public. One would have to be causing a disturbance as well.