Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

DiamondStealth
03-24-08, 02:15 AM
I was browsing a job finder online and it had some ads listed from the Navy Reserve. I browsed their website and the site for the actual Navy (and then the Air Force).

They have a lot of information there, but I kind of wanted the opinions of real people who had served or had family that had served.

What grabbed my attention honestly was the job, what I wasn’t sure was, if you join to do a specific job that they advertise will you actually get it or do they tell you “just join and then we will let you know”? Typical 9-5 type jobs bore me and the military (as well as LE) are interesting to me because of that.

Other then that I was interested in hearing your thoughts on the active service vs the reserves and what it was like.. and of course any advice anyone would like to throw my way about the armed forces.

MP_Steve
03-24-08, 03:14 AM
If the job you want isn't in your enlistment contract, don't sign it. That goes for all the services.

Taxx
03-24-08, 05:39 AM
Is there a Real Navy forum?

GCFD_5
03-24-08, 12:19 PM
you should head on over to military.com

charlydevo
03-26-08, 07:39 PM
What will happen with the Navy is that you'll process completely, go to MEPS, do the ASVAB and physical, and then they'll discuss jobs with you before you ship. That way, you've already invested a lot into it. If they don't offer you what you want, they figure that you'll just take what they give you. The good news is that you can still opt out at that point.

I was a recruiter for 2 years.

Kyle G
03-28-08, 06:12 PM
What will happen with the Navy is that you'll process completely, go to MEPS, do the ASVAB and physical, and then they'll discuss jobs with you before you ship. That way, you've already invested a lot into it. If they don't offer you what you want, they figure that you'll just take what they give you. The good news is that you can still opt out at that point.

I was a recruiter for 2 years.

That’s not how it happened with me. First thing I did was take the ASVAB.

A little about me: I am just finishing my 4 contract (26 days until terminal leave). I am an STG2 on the USS Porter out of Norfolk, Virginia. I have had a pretty good enlistment. There are a lot of ups and a lot of downs, as with everything else. Some times you hate it and wish you never did it, but then other days it is the best thing in the world for example. I have made port visits in: New York City (my home town and first port visit ironically); Boston; New Orleans; Savannah, Georgia; Port Everglades; Eastport, Maine; Madeira; Cartagena, Spain; Barcelona, Spain; the Canary Islands; Puerto Rico; Palma De Mallorca, Spain; Cannes, France; Tunisia; Palermo, Sicily; Naples, Italy; Rome; Venice; The Island of Crete; Mykonos, Greece (Google that place if you never heard of it... WOW!) Israel; Bulgaria; Romania; Ukraine; Turkey; Georgia (the Country); Oman; Seychelles; Kenya... and Probably a bunch more that i am forgetting. But if you don’t know some of the names you should do a Google search because some of those places are absolutely amazing; some little islands that i personally had never heard of until we pulled it.

But your job is EVERYTHING!!! Depending on what you pick you will have a completely different experience. Some jobs will put of the surface fleet, some on the air side in a squadron, some on a sub, and with some jobs you will never go out to sea. Each one of those experiences have a lot of ups and downs but are all pretty different from each other. Another huge factor is where you go; East Coast v west coast can have a huge impact as well. (East Coast isn’t as bad as people say.

Your ASVAB is the test you take that will qualify you for certain jobs. You should think long and hard about what you want to do before you go through with it. If I could go back and do it over again I would have probably picked something that would give me a Top Secret clearance. Right now I have a secret but those are a dime a dozen.

The lifestyle isn’t for everyone. And a career in the Navy is a huge sacrifice. You don’t see too many Chiefs that have 17+ years in that are happily married. When you have to leave for 6-8 months at a time it can put a huge strain on relationships. Plus you do meet and make a lot of good friends; the comrodory (sp?) is a lot of fun. But then you have to learn to let go. You can have a really good friend/ roommate then all of a sudden he/she is gone for Japan and that’s the last time you will ever see them more than likely.

I wrote a lot but I am on a long boring watch and thankfully I have a computer here. Any questions please feel free to ask. And when it comes down to what jobs you have to pick from I will give all the feedback I can to help you make your decision.

//Kyle

charlydevo
03-28-08, 07:08 PM
Good luck when you get out. The transition to "real" life can be tough. I DEFINATELY recommend joining a reserve unit. You can go into the Navy Reserve, or any other branch, just don't throw away the active time you have. When I was a recruiter, I dealt with putting people into Navy Reserve programs. If you want, get a hold of me when you're getting off of active duty and I'll help you when your reserve recruiter tries to BS you. You might not be able to keep your rating. You can keep your grade, but maybe not your rating. The reserve recruiters will then try to push you into one of the rates in which you'll be sure to revisit places such as Oman. Anyhow, good luck.

Kyle G
03-29-08, 09:44 AM
Yea i am seriously considering it. I am thinking Navy or Coast Guard. I realize that either of them wont let me keep my rating, but I am not too worried about that, I am a Sonar Technician and that is some of the most boring **** you could ever do. As long as they let me keep my E-5 then I will work with them.

DiamondStealth
03-31-08, 10:21 PM
Thank you guys for answering! I appreciate your posts and I did go browse through a couple sites and forums.

MP_Steve, Charly, and Kyles’ posts were especially helpful and touched some of the concerns that I had and what I wanted to know. Since at this point I am looking because I am curious, I didn’t want to contact a recruiter. A recruiter’s job is to recruit people so, although I don’t think they would lie to me, I do imagine that they would gloss over some things, etc. I know my best friend complained that her older brother had joined the Navy and had been promised a bunch of things and he ended up not getting them as well as his job ended up being a janitor on a ship if I remember correctly. So he was pretty perturbed as his recruiter and the military. To be fair though I have no idea what he was promised and she is anti-armed forces so I am not sure how much stock to put in that story.

The job that initially got my interest was an ad they had for photography and photo editing, since that is what I do for a job now and I enjoy it. After skimming some of the other jobs I thought the military police looked interesting. Being able to travel all over would be a very cool plus as well.

chewy
03-31-08, 10:24 PM
I only have one thing to say about a career in the Navy...

COAST GUARD!!!

MP_Steve
04-01-08, 06:37 AM
Thank you guys for answering! I appreciate your posts and I did go browse through a couple sites and forums.

MP_Steve, Charly, and Kyles’ posts were especially helpful and touched some of the concerns that I had and what I wanted to know. Since at this point I am looking because I am curious, I didn’t want to contact a recruiter. A recruiter’s job is to recruit people so, although I don’t think they would lie to me, I do imagine that they would gloss over some things, etc. I know my best friend complained that her older brother had joined the Navy and had been promised a bunch of things and he ended up not getting them as well as his job ended up being a janitor on a ship if I remember correctly. So he was pretty perturbed as his recruiter and the military. To be fair though I have no idea what he was promised and she is anti-armed forces so I am not sure how much stock to put in that story.

The job that initially got my interest was an ad they had for photography and photo editing, since that is what I do for a job now and I enjoy it. After skimming some of the other jobs I thought the military police looked interesting. Being able to travel all over would be a very cool plus as well.

Military Police is pretty interesting, but the only way you can guarantee that you'll be doing actual LE, is to be hired as a civilian police officer on a military base.

In the Army for instance, you probably wont be working LE until you hit at least E-4. Then that'll only be on rotation, assuming you're stationed overseas and not deployed somewhere, and not stuck on a gate when in garrison! :)

The Army is getting away from using MPs for LE, as most are now assigned to Combat Support units. A couple years ago, I posted somewhere on here saying that it'll be a cold day in hell when they start using civilian cops at Fort Leonard Wood (home of the MP Corps). Guess what? USAJOBS has postings for GS-0083-6 Police Officers at FLW!

It's a changing time in the MP Corps. If we ever get out of this war, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do with all the MPs in garrison. Will most be combat support? If not will MPs be doubled-up with DA Police? If not will they reduce the size of either force? Who knows.

Enough of my ramblings. I have to get back to work/sleep. :p

NYPDPOPO
04-01-08, 05:05 PM
Kyle G I sent you a PM.