Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Cold weather pens?

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 06:52 PM
Oregon is wet and cold in the winter. I am having incredible difficulty finding a ball point pen that can write under these conditions. The pens are blotchy. You guys that work in cold environments, what are you using?

I was looking at the space pens because they are guarenteed, but do I really need to spend $15 and go mail order to get one?

Do gel pens work?

It must have the requirement of being ball point. It needs to withstand the downward pressure required to write through 4 copies of a citation.

EHStaley
11-20-03, 07:00 PM
I looked up the value of the pen my father (deceased) had that mother and I gave him for father's day MANY years ago. It is a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck and lists for $220. Needless to say it is at home and I do not carry it to work (Computer/Network guy at a Cardiovascular Office). $15 sounds VERY reasonable in comparison.

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 07:07 PM
I can't find Fisher Space Pens at Office Depot or Office Max. Anyone know a place to try?

I can find them on line, but I don;t want to pay the shipping or wait a week.

danah
11-20-03, 10:29 PM
even a papermate pen gets blotchy? i got a pack of 50 for about 5$. they just don't look to fancy.

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 10:33 PM
Yep!

Someone told me once that the erasable pens work fine. But I was out trying to write a ticket for a guy drinking a 40 ouncer outside when it was 38 degrees and raining. I couldn't write where the paper got wet and it was blotchy everywhere else. I tried 2 different pens.

I even tried licking the end. It doesn't work either.

I just ordered a space pen and 2 refills online for $25. Not what I wanted to do, but the pen is only mightier thatn the sword if it writes.

danah
11-20-03, 10:44 PM
oh, geezzz. if you can't trust papermate, what can you trust?
what are space pens? sounds fun.

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 10:47 PM
Ink is made of gel. They are also nitrogen pressurized so they will write upside down forever.

Guarenteed to write down to temps of -30 F and through oil and water.

Jynkxxie
11-20-03, 10:48 PM
Liters are good for getting them to work again.

spyman
11-20-03, 10:57 PM
use a pencil.;)

Chief_Wiggum
11-20-03, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by danah
what are space pens? sounds fun.

Click here for Fisher Space Pens (http://www.spacepen.com/usa/index2.htm)

They are not cheap, and the refills are not cheap. You sure wouldn't want to loose one or have someone "accidently" keep it.

Here is a really good instrument that writes in the rain and is a bit cheaper. Of course you'll have to see if it passes legal muster in your jurisdiction.

http://tubes.ominix.com/art/a/office/pencil-yellow-point-angle.png

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 11:00 PM
lol!

Chief_Wiggum
11-20-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by spyman
use a pencil.;)

Hey you stole my idea :D

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 11:01 PM
I work for the government, remember?:D

danah
11-20-03, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Chief_Wiggum

They are not cheap, and the refills are not cheap. You sure wouldn't want to loose one or have someone "accidently" keep it.

Here is a really good instrument that writes in the rain and is a bit cheaper. Of course you'll have to see if it passes legal muster in your jurisdiction.

thanks for the link! however i just came back to RP from looking at them online. they kick butt.

danah
11-20-03, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Chief_Wiggum

thanks for the link! however i just came back to RP from looking at them online. they kick butt.

stalking stuffer :)

gdowkpc
11-20-03, 11:04 PM
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

tpd_six
11-21-03, 05:08 AM
I have a Parker Jotter that's my favorite, they're only about $3 at Wal Mart. Haven't had a problem with it in the cold but it won't write upside down like a space pen. Don't bother with the gel pens or gel refills for it though, I just tried one last week and they smear horribly on citations in the rain.

DepDog
11-23-03, 10:31 PM
I actually bought a Fisher Space Pen through this company:

http://www.penwa.com/fisher/the.htm

It does write in the rain and in cold weather. It's a medium point. But it writes fine through 6 copies on a traffic citation.

I paid $75 for mine :eek:

Switchback
11-23-03, 10:55 PM
Well, as timing would have it, my $12 pen (black ink, red ink, pencil and stylus) from Staples just broke (don't ask). I just ordered the matte black bullet w/ clip and stylus. The site was having a sale (25% off all Fishers). Pen and extra refill, shipped for $25. I hear they are worth it.
:)

sparrow803
11-23-03, 11:09 PM
Why don't you just sit in your police car when it is cold and/or raining and write the ticket in there? Ya I know.... no justification for the fancy pants pens then...:rolleyes:

Switchback
11-23-03, 11:25 PM
LOL@Busty.

I don't have a "patrol car" or write tickets. I am often interviewing people (crack heads) outside (on their corner... or proned out in an alley). When I am calling in info for computer checks, etc... I need to be able to write it down. Then, when I am "squeezing them" for information, I need to be able to write down all the lies they tell me.

heheheee

Well, you asked.

sparrow803
11-23-03, 11:41 PM
Well Switch....I would be willing to follow ya round with a wireless and do your reports and take notes while ya "question" the suspects. LOL Now is that a good American or what? (Can I carry the cuffs?):p

sgtbear111
11-24-03, 03:39 AM
Spyman said it first - pencil

Worked a mountain pass for many years.
In rain or snow whatever is on the clipboard will become mush, and first to go are the multi-page collision forms and the NOI/Citation forms.

If you are wearing gloves, try using 3 x 5 index cards and those over-size grade school type wood pencils to jot down the info from an FI or violator. Kept some in the coat pocket or jumpsuit pocket.

When all else failed in rain or snow, occasionally used a grease pencil to write on windows or shiny side of the clipboard. Just remember to remove it before doing laundry.

Switchback
11-24-03, 08:58 AM
Sgt,

As most ex-military guys can attest, Uncle Sam likes black ink.

Txbandit
11-24-03, 08:13 PM
just go to Wal-mart or where ever and get the PILOT G-2 07. they always work, will write on anything. I'm a motor officer and they are the only ones that will consistantly write notes on the back of ours cites. our department even supplies them to us. HOWEVER...they do run badly in the rain.
they work great in the cold

gdowkpc
11-24-03, 11:59 PM
We have those here. They put out a lot of ink.

I just bought a $10 Space Tec pen. It is a Fisher and is pressurized. I dumped some Coke on a piece of paper and it wrote right through it. It also worked flawlessly outside while I was writing a ticket during a sidewalk contact. No problems. I love it.

EricTheBald
11-25-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by gdowkpc
The pen is only mightier thatn the sword if it writes.

Classic quote!

yahcanmicrowave
11-25-03, 01:23 PM
cold weather penis? Doh, I need to put on my reading glasses, it says pens