Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

docdiy2k
02-28-08, 03:08 PM
I have a question to anyone who can answer it. I am looking for police departments that not only prefer the bachelor's degree, but who actually require it. I have only found 25 police departments in the US so far. Is there a list somewhere? I believe there are at least 100 departments in this list. If you know of any local pd. that requires it, please let me know. Thanks, Diana

MP_Steve
02-28-08, 05:08 PM
I haven't really heard anything solid about departments requiring Bachelors degrees, specifically.

Most local places that I've heard of require education, specialized experience, or a combination of the two. Not just education alone.

I'd be interested to see that list you speak of. :confused:

JonSch7
02-28-08, 05:27 PM
Jacksonille Sheriff's Department in Florida used to require a 4 year degree, but I'm not sure if they still do or not.

nadler20
02-28-08, 06:18 PM
I believe Multnomah County SO out here in beautiful Orygun does

Lawson
02-28-08, 07:53 PM
The last agency I was with required a 4yr to become chief, other than that I dont know of any Departments in Washington that actually require a 4yr for an entry-level position.

Hop
02-28-08, 08:12 PM
I want to say Lakewood PD (Colorado) used to, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Hop
02-28-08, 08:15 PM
Guess my brain still worky OK:D

Minimum requirements include:

Bachelor's degree in any discipline -- NO EXCEPTIONS
21 years of age at time of appointment
US Citizen or proper I-9 documentation
Other essential functions listed in the job description

http://www.lakewood.org/index.cfm?&include=/PD/employment.cfm

CPDlife4ME
02-29-08, 12:45 PM
Both Elgin PD and Palatine PD in Illinois currently require a 4-year degree in any discipline.

mahai
03-21-08, 01:09 PM
"You must be a citizen of the United States, 21 years of age or older.

Possess a Bachelorís Degree from an accredited college or university,

Education is not waived for prior military service or prior police experience."

Jay7376
03-21-08, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I know of a department that requires a bachelors....Mine

Your application will not even get looked at without that bachelor's degree.

Hockey9019
03-21-08, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I know of a department that requires a bachelors....Mine

Your application will not even get looked at without that bachelor's degree.

Most agencies are looking at it that way in Michigan. Too many people with Associates here in MI

I'm going down to Taylor for a position they have open and they only require 30 credits of CJ-type schooling.

We'll see...

docdiy2k
03-28-08, 06:23 PM
Thanks again. I have now found 32 departments. I actually believe there are probably 50. When I have it completed, I will let you know. diana

CPDlife4ME
03-29-08, 12:12 PM
Don't know if you have it or not, but the Illinois State Police also requires a 4 yr degree, or a 2 year degree w/ 3 years of continuous police or military service.

POST2008
04-07-08, 05:56 PM
Dude come to Minnesota, MPLS/St. Paul area, most if not all of them require a four year. Even if you find a Dept that takes just an AA, good luck getting a job. There people here wil master's that can't get jobs.

Lucky1
04-12-08, 12:04 AM
Wheaton PD and Napervile PD, Illinois, require a 4 yr degree also.

lawdawg715
07-03-08, 07:38 AM
It is sad that they require a four year degree at some departments. I personally believe a little life experience in the military will have more bearing on a career than someone who has been partying it up and coasting by in college. I do understand a good education has a strong value as well. Some of my supervisors seem educated well above their intelligence in most cases. I in no way mean to belittle anyone with a college degree, but were doing cop work not launching the space shuttle lol. Cop work takes common sense obviously and it should be based on the basic entrance exam given by the department. I also feel college is necesssary for higher end promotions. Just my two pennies worth. In Oregon I know only of one dept that requires a 4 year degree, Mult. Co. Stay safe.

07-03-08, 06:04 PM
It is sad that they require a four year degree at some departments. I personally believe a little life experience in the military will have more bearing on a career than someone who has been partying it up and coasting by in college. I do understand a good education has a strong value as well. Some of my supervisors seem educated well above their intelligence in most cases. I in no way mean to belittle anyone with a college degree, but were doing cop work not launching the space shuttle lol. Cop work takes common sense obviously and it should be based on the basic entrance exam given by the department. I also feel college is necesssary for higher end promotions. Just my two pennies worth. In Oregon I know only of one dept that requires a 4 year degree, Mult. Co. Stay safe.

I agree to some extent, I think it would also depend on what subject was studied; i.e. Phys ed. or Physics..lol. I know some departments require a minimum of an Associates degree but will Waive that if you have served in the Military with an Honorable Discharge. Military plus College I think would put you on the top of the stack.

TNCJGA
07-03-08, 06:47 PM
mah bad. I though one of them in Broward Co required it. I was wrong.

TXICE
07-05-08, 04:00 AM
Davie, FL

Davie P.D.'s website depicts that only a high school diploma or G.E.D. is required.

jillybeansalad
07-08-08, 10:49 PM
I in no way mean to belittle anyone with a college degree, but were doing cop work not launching the space shuttle lol.

Actually you can do that without a degree, there are enlisted positions on the launch team on the east coast. :D Now to blow up a launch vehicle... you definitely need a degree!

lol Sorry to hijack, I couldn't resist! :p

BOY-IN-BLUE
07-13-08, 06:22 PM
Wheaton PD and Napervile PD, Illinois, require a 4 yr degree also.

Lol my Dad grew up in Wheaton. I grew up in South Chicago Heights (Steger).

Anyway. Albuquerque Police Dept. doesn't require a degree of any kind 'cause we're being so brutal about recruiting, and have lowered the education standards.

Wmasscop
10-22-08, 05:50 AM
I know something that is better than a degree or military service. Lateral transfers, nothing beats experience for a police job than already being a cop somewhere else!

smoke63b
11-16-08, 03:11 AM
I'm fairly sure that the Plano, Texas PD still requires a 4 year in any major.

explcdt8
11-18-08, 11:32 AM
Mahwah, NJ PD requires one at time of appointment
I believe NYS Environmental Conservation does as well

You said, actually requires right, because I can think of a few that effectively require one.

quietkx4
12-07-08, 11:06 PM
I just happened to get in here on a search but I believe this is the place I need to be. I will have my associates degree in criminal justice in May and I am being told that I should not have gone in this direction because there is not job I can get with this degree. My passion has always been criminal justice I wanted to be a juvenile probation officer but that requires a 4 year degree here in NY. I will eventually do the Bachelors but I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on a career path for someone with an associates. Thanks for your help.

cclark55
12-08-08, 01:57 AM
mah bad. I though one of them in Broward Co required it. I was wrong.

Davie P.D.'s website depicts that only a high school diploma or G.E.D. is required.

coral springs pd requires a 4 year degree they are also one of the top 3 (if not number1)highest paid in Broward which is in their contracts.

tikitracy
07-26-11, 01:36 PM
Did the original poster actually release their data to the group on what was collected? I find myself working on a paper requiring similar data, but there is no central repository for who requires what. I tried all the big training and certification organizations and they point to LEMAS, but that doesnt list everyone. They did ask for a copy of my paper when it gets done. Fat chance it will be useful without going to each of the 18k+ organizations to verify data.

Kimble
07-26-11, 03:48 PM
Did the original poster actually release their data to the group on what was collected?

Do not revive long dead threads, this one has been inactive for well over 3 years. If the OP had posted further information on this, you'd have been able to read it here. Thanks.