Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Weigh Stations and Rental Trucks

normal1
02-09-08, 04:27 AM
Going along with my Moving thread (http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=75755) I wonder what states require non-commercial, less than 26k lbs trucks to stop at weigh station or 'Port-of-Entry' stations that you guys know of?

Here's (http://tinyurl.com/2g2z5w) my route.

Thanks for y'alls help!

normal1
02-09-08, 01:47 PM
*bump*

Adamantine
02-09-08, 02:41 PM
Normal, I have done that drive, in bits and pieces from NJ to AZ. I did not have to stop anywhere. I did drive into the weighstations, since the paperwork on the rental vehicle told me I had to, but the inspectors waved me on all the time. (shrug) I tried!

highwayman
02-09-08, 06:16 PM
2 years ago I was stopped at the Arizona California border and the officer asked if I had any type of fruit and particularly oranges in the trunk.
The same happened at the Nevada California border coming from Vegas.

The only scales I have seen are at the San Diego California Immigration checkpoint.

RT302
02-09-08, 07:11 PM
2 years ago I was stopped at the Arizona California border and the officer asked if I had any type of fruit and particularly oranges in the trunk.

Needles, Blythe or Yuma? I used to roll into those in my marked rig munching on an apple and they never said a word.:D And when traffic was backed up, I just went around.;)

I think Normal was asking about the myriad of scales and such between NJ and CA.

highwayman
02-09-08, 08:41 PM

Needles, Blythe or Yuma? I used to roll into those in my marked rig munching on an apple and they never said a word.:D And when traffic was backed up, I just went around.;)

Could've been because I'm a security guard, I only had a rotating yellow light :D

normal1
02-10-08, 06:49 AM
Cool! Yeah I hear that entering Cali and I think AZ they have POE points where they check for agricultural stuff. So I gather that going into the weigh stations is not necessary.

ngcsubutterbar
02-10-08, 08:55 AM
No they have both. One or the other or both may be closed when you roll through though. Just follow what your rental paper says. If it says you have to go across scales just do so. Many states have it posted that 'any' vehicle over 10k must cross the scales. I've seen more than 1 rental truck skip a scale and have a dot/ trooper come flying up after them asking them why. Oh and when you hit the US Customs/Border Patrol checkpoints in the SW Do not go on the side roads to try to go around them, they have agents working those roads that light up everyone that tries that.

mcsap
02-10-08, 09:03 AM
Any truck with with a Registered Gross Weight over 10,000 involved in interstate commerce is subject to ALL of the motor carrier laws and rules. ( except for a CDL)

If you are in a pickup truck like say an F-250 , then it is not even a concern.

If you are moving your private property ( not for sale) then you are not in commerce but we have no way of knowing. So the best advice is to stop and let them waive you on.

The weight restrictions based on a vehicle , a road or a bridge do apply to EVERYONE. NOBODY is exempt from weight based violations. Motorhomes , RV's and pickup trucks are all subject to weight/towing restrictions regardless of their totally non-commercial use.

It is always better to pull in and stop than to have one of my compatriots come chasing after you down the highway.

mcsap
02-10-08, 09:09 AM
What is the Registered Gross weight of the truck ? Look on the reg card or on the door sill.

You may also want to consider weighing it before you leave to make sure you are not overweight. And when we weigh...only the driver is excluded. The passengers and everything else counts.

ngcsubutterbar
02-10-08, 09:12 AM
And when we weigh...only the driver is excluded. The passengers and everything else counts.

is that a FMCSA thing or your state?

mcsap
02-10-08, 09:16 AM
is that a FMCSA thing or your state?

Weight based vio's are not FMCSA. That is a state by state issue. Actually , the FMCSR's have a reg ( 392.2) that says it is unlawful to not be in compliance with ALL local and state regualtions :) So , I can put on a mcsap report that the driver had no IFTA which is a vio of 392.2 since that is not a fed rule.

normal1
02-10-08, 09:52 AM
What is the Registered Gross weight of the truck ? Look on the reg card or on the door sill.

You may also want to consider weighing it before you leave to make sure you are not overweight. And when we weigh...only the driver is excluded. The passengers and everything else counts.

GVW is 11,500 lbs. and has a payload weight of 3,400 lbs. of which I intend to carry 2,500 lbs. Where would I go weigh in?

ngcsubutterbar
02-10-08, 01:59 PM
find a truck stop near your house that has one.

mcsap
02-10-08, 03:36 PM
If you have an Agway in your area , they weigh and most anyplace that sells stone etc to retail customers will have a scale.

BTW...it doesn't matter how much weight you INTEND to haul, what matters is how much you actually weigh :)