Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Tire Slashing

chrisgopher
11-03-07, 02:32 PM
Do cops usually investigate slashed tires? I know they do when there are numerous vehicles involved or if the vehicles belonged to a police officer or politician. What about if it were just one vehicle belonging to a civilian?

ngcsubutterbar
11-03-07, 02:38 PM
Yes they would investigate and write up a criminal report here.

Criminal Damage to Property

First Degree O.C.G.A. 16-7-22.

Criminal Damage to Property in the First Degree occurs when a person knowingly, without authority, interferes with the property of another so as to endanger human life.

Punishment: Felony, 1 to 10 years in prison.

Second Degree O.C.G.A. 16-7-23

Second Degree Criminal Damage to Property occurs when a person commits one of three acts: (1) intentionally damages property of another without consent and damage exceeds $500.00; or (2) recklessly or intentionally with fire or explosive damages property of another; or (3) starts fire on land of another with intent to damage.

Punishment: Felony, 1 to 5 years in prison.

chrisgopher
11-03-07, 02:46 PM
What if the one who committed the crime is a minor?

ngcsubutterbar
11-03-07, 03:19 PM
depends on the laws of the state in which the act was committed.

chrisgopher
11-03-07, 03:21 PM
I see. Thanks for your time and quick responses butterbar!

txinvestigator1
11-03-07, 03:22 PM
What if the one who committed the crime is a minor?

Whadda mean "what if"? Be specific. Did you or someone else see it happen? Minors of specific ages can be charged in the juvenile system, and in some sates, like mine, a 17 year old is a minor, but subject to the adult criminal justice sytem.

smcc360
11-03-07, 04:23 PM
How many tires did you slash?

chrisgopher
11-03-07, 05:22 PM
Let's say nobody saw it happen. And it was a 17 year old slashing 2 tires. Would you guys pursue the case? Because my house and car have been vandalized a few times and everytime the cops came they told me that there was nothing they could do and I should install a camera.

deputywave
11-03-07, 06:33 PM
Are you sure no one saw you slash those 2 tires? Yes, the police will investigate. Yes, a 17 year old can be prosecuted for it.

TX-LEO
11-03-07, 07:32 PM
Do cops usually investigate slashed tires? I know they do when there are numerous vehicles involved or if the vehicles belonged to a police officer or politician. What about if it were just one vehicle belonging to a civilian?

If you wake up, find your tires flat, have no idea who did it, or can name any realistic suspects, it becomes a case-closed real fast.

If you know who did it, but don't have any proof and we interview who you know who did it, but they wont admit to it, it becomes a case-closed real fast.

chrisgopher
11-04-07, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the fast responses gentlemen.