Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

ScruffyDog
06-16-07, 09:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the background requirements for a 911 Dispatcher is as strict as it is for a Police Officer? I live in California. No felonies, my main concern is some Possession of Marijuana convictions that happened 20 + years ago. The problem as far as a Police Department is concerned, is I was in my 30's at the time and should have been more more responsible. I did Law Enforcement for a military base for almost 10 years and have over 4 years experience as a dispatcher and also worked for almost 5 years as a Shift Supervisor/Lieutenant. I think I would be good at the job, but don't want to waste my time, if I will be DQed for my background. Thanks in advance.

ScruffyDog
06-16-07, 09:17 AM
I also wanted to add, that I have credit problems. I have had perfect credit for my entire life, but my wife and I are in the middle of a bankruptcy, due to her starting a new business and also me being in the loan business, which is going through tough times. Thanks again.

StationM
06-16-07, 04:07 PM
Every agency has their own criteria, and drug and money issues are a factor. I think they look at how you are dealing with the problem, as much as the problem itself.

I also had a medical screening and had to pass a VSA as part of my background.

Norm357
06-16-07, 04:08 PM
At my Wifes agency, the PD and Dispatch, have the same background check.

ScruffyDog
06-16-07, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your responses.

MrJim911
06-17-07, 10:41 AM
BI's for Dispatch positions are often similar and just as in depth as PD jobs because of the access you'll have to confidential info.

A 20 year old conviction for marijuana probably wont have any bearing, even PD's put a limit on how far back a drug charge/conviction can play a role in hiring. As long as there are no felonies you should be good to go.

Bad credit is completely dependant on how much weight they put on financial responsibility and what caused it to happen.

Based on what you've said I don't think you have too much to worry about.

ScruffyDog
06-18-07, 04:18 AM
Thanks MrJim911. I took the POST Dispatcher test last week and it was pretty brutal. Much harder than the POST Police test, IMO. Still waiting on the results.

ScruffyDog
06-25-07, 05:34 AM
Passed the written test. Any advice for the oral interview and what to expect would be appreciated.

MrJim911
06-28-07, 12:09 AM
The oral interview is handled differently at agencies. Some use sworn positions to make up the interview panel, others use city administrators. My agency uses the 911 centers civilian Director, Deputy Director and Training Cooridinator. They will probably aksed you pre-determined questions they have always used and others may be questions they made based on info in your resume/application. Just answer honestly while giving some thought to your answers before you blurt it out. Keep your hands out in front of you and maintain eye contact with the person asking the question.

ScruffyDog
06-28-07, 04:21 AM
Thanks again MrJim911, you have been very helpful!