Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Neon lights on cars

Unregistered
02-17-02, 02:20 AM
I was stoped for a this neon light around my lisence plate. I was wondering if it was illegal to have neon lights on your car in houston and if it is what are the laws for neon lights in houston?

darrell
02-17-02, 01:26 PM
I dont know about houston, but in michigan, any light that is not factory installed other then foglamps are illegal. The ones the police in my area are most concerened with are red and blur, makes it look as if a squad car isa comign down the road. Also it is a distraction to other motorists... i would take them off..

Armed and DWI
02-19-02, 09:01 PM
Those blue washer nozzle lights...I ALWAYS think it's a cop at first.

One of my friends got pulled over for having blue side marker lights (little rectangle lights on the side of the front doors). The cop didn't ticket him, but told him he had one week to have them removed, and then he had to bring the lights to the police station and give them to the cop.

Stump
02-20-02, 12:39 AM
I saw the most annoying thing here the other day. It was a rainy night, and I saw these flashing lights in front of me. It was coming from the car in front of me. Somehow,this person installed these white lights inside their brake light, and it constantly pulsed. It was really bright, and extremely annoying. I ended up passing him so I wouldn't be distracted anymore. I was very close to smashing into the back of him just to break those lights... then I remembered that I am a pacifist.. LOL

FOP900
02-20-02, 03:39 PM
WOW Stumpy, such aggression. But I know the feeling, some the crap people put on their cars are very annoying. I'll stick w/ my fuzzy dice.
NY has similiar laws prohibitting oscilating & unauthorized lights.

SLG
02-20-02, 04:24 PM
Here in Arkansas we will ticket you for any other light equipment that is not factory except for the fog lamps. you should do what the officer aske d and take it off..

LBomb
03-02-02, 02:25 AM
In most cases, if it ain't factory installed, it ain't legal.
I, personally, love those little thing likethe neon lights or the flashers. They scream to me, "Hey officer, look at me. I want your attention!" So I oblige them and give them my FULL attention.:)

DufasRufas
03-02-02, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by FOP900
I'll stick w/ my fuzzy dice.

I believe that in CA, it's illegal to have ANYTHING hanging from your rear view mirror. Does anyone know of any other states with a law like that?

Bryce

JSho
03-02-02, 05:52 PM
I know that in Florida, it is illegal to drive with those "disabled" tags hanging from the mirror, though I doubt anyone has ever gotten a ticket for it. It makes sense though - some of these people already have the disadvantage of a disability and then a good portion of their view is blocked by this big blue tag! I don't mean that to be disrespectful toward the disabled - it should apply to anything hanging from the mirror. I see people hang CDs from the mirror and wonder how it could possibly be legal to have something the size of a small plate that reflects sunlight right in your line of view!

TTS
03-03-02, 03:42 AM
In answer to your question. Texas law says that the license plate will have a single white light. Anything other than that is illegal.

The neons under the car will get you stopped also along with the windshield washer lights on the hood. The blue headlights are illegal as well as green, blue, purple, or whatever colored turn signals. You will notice in small print on most of the boxes the items are sold in it reads "for off road use only"

Pretty much anything you think looks cool but did not come from the factory will end up being illegal.

seedo
03-13-02, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by DufasRufas

I believe that in CA, it's illegal to have ANYTHING hanging from your rear view mirror. Does anyone know of any other states with a law like that?

Bryce

It's illegal to have anything hanging from your rearview mirror in MI as well. It makes a for great reason to stop a car though.

fl1407b
06-06-02, 05:22 PM
in FLA, your not allowed to have any lights other than factory...but i only write tickety for the blue/ red lights. you are not allowed to display blue lights anywhere on your vehicle, and you are not allowed to display red anywhere on the front or side of your vehicle. but thats in fla.

txinvestigator1
06-07-02, 01:04 AM
Texas Transportation Code Section

"547.302
(f) A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a
white light that:

(1) illuminates the rear license plate; and

(2) makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.

(g) A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate a rear license
plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary driving lamp is lighted."

ONLY lights specified by the Code may be displayed.

pjm_744
06-07-02, 10:43 AM
I've seen the blue/green/purple lights that go around the bottom frame of the car. :-\ Personally I don't care for them, but I see it ALL the time around here. I wouldn't THINK they're factory made, but I don't know. ??

And what about flashy brake lights. I saw the other day, and I'm seeing more and more, the people who have the regular red brakes lights and then right above that--there's silvery flashing ones every 3 seconds. I always thought those were factory made. Are they not? I think it's a stupid idea because I'm more likely to run into THOSE than into regular ones. ;)

I haven't read the entire thread so if i'm repeating something here, forgive me. ;)

~PJM

realpolice
06-11-02, 06:14 PM
test. :)