Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

scott54
05-09-07, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I have had a bazaar problem with a neighbor of mine for a while now. It has been going on for about 7 months. He use to come over to my apartment and yell at my friends and I and then run away before we could talk to him. He did this about 4 times. He even tried to turn the power off to my apartment. He stopped for a while but now calls the police on me every time I have more than one person at my house. Even today I was having a normal conversation and he called the police on me. I didnít get written up or anything but it shakes me up every time. Heís called the police on me 6 times now and only once was it valid. I have gone to the police station and they said they were going to help but nothing happened. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do. He has been harassing my neighbors and me for a while now. I donít want to move but I feel almost forced to because of the harassment. Is there anything I can do?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you
Cheers,
Scott

oscarmitre
05-09-07, 04:18 AM
You may want to go back and check with your local police station again and perhaps speak to a supervisor and explain the situation to him or her. If you can bring some notes of the incidents - dates are good if you can remember them. The police are in a bit of a bind because if someone calls they can hardly say, "we're not going". I mean your neighbour might be pain but what if the one time it's serious the police say, "we're not going"?

You might also ask the police if there is a public mischief or public nuisance legislation in your state that can be invoked.

You may also need to consult a lawyer. You may be able to get some sort of restraining order against your neighbour.

LA5150
05-09-07, 04:18 AM
Try taking him to small claims court for harrassment, and sue for punitive damages.

Regulus
05-09-07, 09:55 AM
How did he try and turn the power off in your apartment? That in itself may be a criminal violation on his part - i.e. if he goes in your fenced backyard for the breaker it's criminal trespass.

Have you ever tried talking to him to see what the matter is? I'm a police officer in a large college town so I see my share of college kids vs older residents and to be honest I've never found a great long term solution other than the two parties talking and working it out together. Unfortunately I've seen many situations like you described where the police are just being used by one neighbor to act out against another neighbor.

mcsap
05-09-07, 02:54 PM
What Oscar said. In my PD, there are 48 of us. It is possible that six different officers handle a call and yet none knew of the other. You need to see a supervisor to explain what is going on , offer the dates if you know them.

If it was my jurisdiction, I would post a notice during roll call so that ALL of the officers would be aware of the situation. I would also have to make a note that at least one of the complaints was valid.

codered
05-10-07, 01:54 AM
Hi,

I have had a bazaar problem with a neighbor of mine for a while now. It has been going on for about 7 months. He use to come over to my apartment and yell at my friends and I and then run away before we could talk to him. He did this about 4 times. He even tried to turn the power off to my apartment. He stopped for a while but now calls the police on me every time I have more than one person at my house. Even today I was having a normal conversation and he called the police on me. I didnít get written up or anything but it shakes me up every time. Heís called the police on me 6 times now and only once was it valid. I have gone to the police station and they said they were going to help but nothing happened. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do. He has been harassing my neighbors and me for a while now. I donít want to move but I feel almost forced to because of the harassment. Is there anything I can do?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you
Cheers,
Scott

Out of the 6 times police have responded, what did the POLICE recommend to YOU? You did ask them, yes?

scott54
05-14-07, 12:45 AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses. To answer your questions... I asked two cops about it and one didnít really care and just walked away. To note I am a college student and live in a college town. That first time I was just alone in my Apt and got the police called on me for no reason. The other cop I talked to told me to go to the police station and talk to officer. When I went to the police station they gave me the reports and had an officer go to his house and try to talk to him. The officer said he would try and talk to him but I didnít hear back from him. I think if he did talk to him he got more mad because now calls the police on me for having more than 1 person at my house whether or not I am loud. I am going to go back to the police station again this week and see if there anything they can do.

To answer the question about how he almost turned my power off. I was having some people over at my house and he went to my breaker box that is out side with no lock and turned off my neighborís power off on accident. When we tried to talk to him we told him we knew that he did it and he denied it of course but he had the guiltiest face. Also every time we tried to talk to him he would just curse us out. I am kind of lost on what to do and almost feel like I have to move because it is stressing me out so much.

I am going to go talk to a lawyer and see if there is anything that can be done if the police cant do anything. Thanks for the advice of talking to an officer next time I go to the police station. If it could be marked down that he has been a nuisance to me that would be great. Thanks again everyone if you have any other advice please let me know.

scott715us
05-15-07, 03:44 PM
was having some people over at my house

I am a college student

Are you sure there wasn't good reason to turn your power off?? ;)

I would like to hear the other side of the story before making judgement.

An attorney will not be able to do much without a report unless he does the investigative work himself or hires someone to do it.

codered
05-16-07, 04:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses. To answer your questions... I asked two cops about it and one didnít really care and just walked away. To note I am a college student and live in a college town. That first time I was just alone in my Apt and got the police called on me for no reason. The other cop I talked to told me to go to the police station and talk to officer. When I went to the police station they gave me the reports and had an officer go to his house and try to talk to him. The officer said he would try and talk to him but I didnít hear back from him. I think if he did talk to him he got more mad because now calls the police on me for having more than 1 person at my house whether or not I am loud. I am going to go back to the police station again this week and see if there anything they can do.

To answer the question about how he almost turned my power off. I was having some people over at my house and he went to my breaker box that is out side with no lock and turned off my neighborís power off on accident. When we tried to talk to him we told him we knew that he did it and he denied it of course but he had the guiltiest face. Also every time we tried to talk to him he would just curse us out. I am kind of lost on what to do and almost feel like I have to move because it is stressing me out so much.

I am going to go talk to a lawyer and see if there is anything that can be done if the police cant do anything. Thanks for the advice of talking to an officer next time I go to the police station. If it could be marked down that he has been a nuisance to me that would be great. Thanks again everyone if you have any other advice please let me know.

"I asked two cops about it and one didn't really care and just walked away."

This is NOT aswering my question.

If you had 6 calls to your residence, WHAT did the officers recommed to you?(You did answer the door, yes)? Sounds to me like you didn't answer the door!
And, you are avoiding questions HERE! Why is this?

If you did answer the door two times, what happened on the other four? Did you ignore the knocking? If so, why?