Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Suppliments + Fast Food

Coastie 585
05-07-07, 09:04 PM
For the past few months I have been running daily (1.5 miles one day, 1 mile the next, repeat) and working out every other day(Soon to be every day).

I still eat out at fast food restaurants.

I have been looking into multivitamins and supplements for this summer when I really start working out a lot. I will be in "A" school so I will be separated from any fast foods.

What kinds of supplements should I take to build muscle mass and tone?(I am a total noob to this supplement stuff.

Thanks
-Ben

RemyG
05-07-07, 11:46 PM
Steroids are the only proven outright noticeable muscle mass builder.

In all seriousness though, nothing but hard work will allow you to show off. If you want strength, go for less reps/more weight (ex. as many reps in GOOD FORM that you can possibly do without almost dying, repeat), or if you want tone, do far less weight, with more of reps.

I took creatine first semester, and will take it next fall semester when working out. I feel it works, and the stretch marks on my biceps/shoulders, although may be not so good looking, indicate a gain of circumference that the skin can't keep up to stretching. But there is no sure fire way to just "take something" (besides mentioned above) and become ripped like the hulk. It comes with work work work :)

Best of luck Ben, and remember, that fast food is TERRIBLE for you, almost like throwing away your whole workout for the day :P

K-9MALY
05-08-07, 06:44 AM
Quit eating the fast food. Start buying pre-packaged healthy options that are now available to you in any grocery store. Mass is only accomplished by repetition of eating protein, consistent workouts that are heavy....heavy!

If you don't eat enough food with a high amount of protein, your going to burn through calories that you take in, and not allow your body to grow. You can workout hard and not grow, and that is why people get frustrated and quit after not seeing the results they think they should see. Supplements are an illusion for you right now, don't rely on them.

You need to start with a nutrition based mindset and a workout that involves compound heavy weight lifting to go with your cardio. Cardio will strip your size, not a bad thing if you like your current size. High cardio with a junk food diet means your cancelling each other out. The benefit is in that your making your lungs and overall stamina stronger. To gain anymore size, you need to do some research on different web sites on eating correct food for increasing healthy weight.

It is really simple, eat the right foods, and lift heavy weights, and you will grow.

Oscarsjava
05-08-07, 09:09 AM
Quit eating the fast food. Start buying pre-packaged healthy options that are now available to you in any grocery store.

Be careful when it comes to the pre-packaged meals, because a lot of them contain massive amounts of sodium - that will cause you to retain water, feel/look bloated, and ruin the aesthetic achievements you are looking to make.

Creatine also tends to make you retain water, and even though you will grow using creatine, you won't get the toned/cut look you want.

Eat plenty of protein - when it comes to supplements, whey protein is the whey to go (pun intended). Try to stay away from soy protein, it contains phytoestrogen which could lead to manboobs, hormonal mood swings, and butch lesbian haircuts. It's also a good idea to eat a lot of meats (not just red meat, but chicken, lean pork, and fish - limit tuna to 1-2 cans/week due to mercury). Also, a lot of fiber will help your digestion and allow you to clear out the pipes - too much gunk in the trunk can slow you down, and if you've been eating a lot of fast food, you're gonna have some build-up in the cylinders.

Drink LOTS of water - and I mean LOTS. Water is a natural fat burner, and it will help clear out the lactic acid in your muscles from workouts.

Now, for the supplements: amino acid complexes are great, especially containing L-Glutamine (that will help with alleviating muscle soreness/cramps) and L-Carnitine (this will help your body dispose of fats). Potassium supplements, a good , strong B-complex for energy, and you're good to go. There's no reason to go overboard with supplements, as they can be very expensive, and often are eliminated from your body before being absorbed. Powders and liquids are much better than hard pills, because again, they're absorbed faster.

Stay away from alcohol, as it will tend to slow you down in workouts. Caffeine is ok if you really need a boost, but try to stay away from it as well. And make sure you READ LABELS on EVERYTHING: you want to stay farrrrrr away from high fructose corn syrup. It's in a lot of sport drinks, some juices, Powerbars, and even in most breads. HFCS can lead to an increase in fat retention, which is what you want to avoid.

Good luck, and stay safe!

RangeHunter
05-08-07, 01:58 PM
Like everyone else said. STAY AWAY from the fast food. You can make your own meals at home and then bring them with you. Get a big bag of chicken breasts and cook a couple the night before. Or cans of tuna/chicken. Get some other things like fruits and veggies to put in your lunch and your set. No one HAS to eat fast food, it just may be more convinient. It takes me a total of 10 mintues to make my food each night and thats with cooking my chicken or whatever I am having. Another benefit is it will save your a buttload of money. As far as supplements go I take whey, multi, and creatine CEE. Just get a regular multi from the store and youll be set. Dont buy into the multis that have 20 different pills. Before I go to bed I take Muscle Milk. I love this stuff, it seems to break down slower and I dont feel sick when I wake up from having and empty stomach. I take the whey right after I work out along with the CEE.

EJV
05-08-07, 04:01 PM
Along with what everyone else said you could try some form of pro-hormone, if it is legal for you in your work. I used to cycle stuff like that many years ago and saw really big gains in strength, weight and tone, but it also hurt me in the long run because of over stressing joints and not giving them the proper amount of time to catch up to the muscle growth.

I am in the AF and it was banned in Jan 05. I haven't used any since 2000 or 2001. The stuff I used to use isn't even on the market anymore. But like I said see first if it is legal for you to use. CG may have a regulation against it.

Oscarsjava
05-08-07, 04:09 PM
Along with what everyone else said you could try some form of pro-hormone, if it is legal for you in your work. I used to cycle stuff like that many years ago and saw really big gains in strength, weight and tone, but it also hurt me in the long run because of over stressing joints and not giving them the proper amount of time to catch up to the muscle growth.

I am in the AF and it was banned in Jan 05. I haven't used any since 2000 or 2001. The stuff I used to use isn't even on the market anymore. But like I said see first if it is legal for you to use. CG may have a regulation against it.

If it's questionable at BEST, I would personally stay away.

RangeHunter
05-08-07, 04:11 PM
Do your research big time before you try any of that stuff. Not only is it dangerous as hell but 9 times out of 10 the prohormone is illegal. I did one cycle 3 years ago of S1+. It was legal and I cleared it with our Doc first. I also researched it for over a year and a half before I did it. Worked great with no side effects. But I will promise you if you just pick something up without reading about it your gonna mess up your body.

cruzmisl
05-08-07, 05:06 PM
No amount of supplements will overcome a poor diet.

Coastie 585
05-08-07, 05:35 PM
Do your research big time before you try any of that stuff. Not only is it dangerous as hell but 9 times out of 10 the prohormone is illegal. I did one cycle 3 years ago of S1+. It was legal and I cleared it with our Doc first. I also researched it for over a year and a half before I did it. Worked great with no side effects. But I will promise you if you just pick something up without reading about it your gonna mess up your body.

Ill heed that warning.

Coastie 585
05-08-07, 05:36 PM

Ill check with my HS but I was thinking of asking some of the guys at my station. A few of them use different meds/shakes and pills so Ill see if it is all good and find out what they recommend.

RangeHunter
05-09-07, 10:14 PM
Just grab some whey and make some shakes for now.

phantasm
05-09-07, 10:58 PM
Only supplement i use is protein powder.

Ronnin
05-10-07, 03:12 AM
Your HS's should have a list of substances found in suppliments banned by the USCG, even though it's legal in the US it might be banned in the USCG. From what i remember from the list it is fairly lengthy.

You said " I will be in "A" school so I will be separated from any fast foods."

No you won't lol, after 2 weeks you get liberty granted at the end of the school day (usually between 1500-1600), and you're allowed to travel off base, so you'll still be able to eat fast food. Liberty is also granted at the end of the school day on friday, meaning you have saturday and sunday off. Unless you have duty one of those days.

the Tracen also has a pretty nice gym from what i remember.

Coastie 585
05-10-07, 04:24 PM
Your HS's should have a list of substances found in suppliments banned by the USCG, even though it's legal in the US it might be banned in the USCG. From what i remember from the list it is fairly lengthy.

You said " I will be in "A" school so I will be separated from any fast foods."

No you won't lol, after 2 weeks you get liberty granted at the end of the school day (usually between 1500-1600), and you're allowed to travel off base, so you'll still be able to eat fast food.

I heard there is NOTHING around the tracen though. I know I get nights/weekends off (unless you've got watch).

I am going to ship my car up there, do you know of any good transport companies that have a good mil discount?

I am looking forward to hitting the gym every day. :D

Ronnin
05-10-07, 07:39 PM
eh you gotta drive to get to actual towns with fast food, but it's not too far, somethign like 30-45mins there's pretty big towns (from what i remember)

Also, instead of shipping your car, you can just drive up, you'll get a per-diem rate, plus $ per day (i think like 75$ i forget) and every day is split up by miles. So usually you end up getting more $$ then you actually spend driving up there. Same way when you come back, you'll get per diem/$$ per day. usually it's cheaper that way then shipping your car. Also it's alot faster, we had a couple guys wait weeks for their cars to arrive.

If you are going to ship it though - talk to the Admin dept for your unit, they should have a list of companies that'll give Military Discounts.

Coastie 585
05-10-07, 09:38 PM
eh you gotta drive to get to actual towns with fast food, but it's not too far, somethign like 30-45mins there's pretty big towns (from what i remember)

Also, instead of shipping your car, you can just drive up, you'll get a per-diem rate, plus $ per day (i think like 75$ i forget) and every day is split up by miles. So usually you end up getting more $$ then you actually spend driving up there. Same way when you come back, you'll get per diem/$$ per day. usually it's cheaper that way then shipping your car. Also it's a lot faster, we had a couple guys wait weeks for their cars to arrive.

If you are going to ship it though - talk to the Admin dept for your unit, they should have a list of companies that'll give Military Discounts.

Cool,
I want to ship it because I have the ACTs on the 9th and if I drove I would have to leave on the 9th. After the ACTs I will be brain dead.

I am getting my orders faxed to my house tonight and will call SATO tomorrow. I am glad I called my unit first, otherwise I would spend 3 hours driving there, 30 minutes working everything out, and 3 hours driving back.

brad_101
05-29-07, 11:15 AM
For the past few months I have been running daily (1.5 miles one day, 1 mile the next, repeat) and working out every other day(Soon to be every day).

I have been looking into multivitamins and supplements for this summer when I really start working out a lot. I will be in "A" school so I will be separated from any fast foods.

What kinds of supplements should I take to build muscle mass and tone?(I am a total noob to this supplement stuff.

Thanks
-Ben

I would reccomend any of the muscletech supplements. I have had good gains with the Cell tech ( creatine ) and Nitro tech ( whey protein ) stack. Also adding in a testosterone support formula and some glutamine to help you recover from your workouts wouldn't hurt. Check out the muscletech website. They have some free articles about all the products on there. Hope this helps

Brad

RangeHunter
05-29-07, 12:10 PM
While I will agree Muscletech products work on some people, and I had ok results with Celltech, they are way overpriced and not worth the hype. There are plent of other supplements that will give you the same if not better gains for almost half the price.

The13ig13adWolf
06-11-07, 11:49 AM

muscles grow and shrink, they do not 'tone'. less fat = diet and more H2O intake. if you're still running AND training as much as you were when you started this thread you're spinning your wheels. you're muscles will not grow if you continue to break them down in that manner. longer distance = not good for muscle growth. sprints (ie. HIIT or high intensity interval training) = good for muscle growth.