Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Montana Highway Patrol?

hutchins
04-12-07, 04:01 PM
What do you fine folks know about the Montana Highway Patrol? I've checked out their website but I'd like to know if any of you have anything to say about them.

http://www.doj.mt.gov/enforcement/highwaypatrol.asp

Thanks in advance.

manahmanah
04-12-07, 07:52 PM
Where is Montana? Is that like a town or something?

mcsap
04-12-07, 08:15 PM
When I was stationed there in the USAF ( 1979-1981) , I remember that they had one trooper for every 200 miles of highway.

hutchins
04-12-07, 09:57 PM
Mcsap, thanks for the info. That is an interesting stat. So much for backup.

Grussem, you answered my question with a question. But to answe your question, I believe Montana is city/state in Italy in the country of Europe.:D

mcsap
04-12-07, 11:08 PM
The other thing I can tell you is that I bought a 1970 Dodge Super Bee there that had a blown 383 engine. ( remember, this was 1980). I looked all over for another engine and at a foreign car place just off the base , I saw a baby blue big old Dodge sedan that looked like an old cruiser. The paint was powder and it had been rearended. There were old diapers on the back floor !

I went in and talked to the guy who said he took it as a partial trade about a year before. It was in fact a 1972 Dodge Monaco Highway Patrol Car with the 440 hipo engine. There was a mice nest in the carb etc. It took a little while , some starting fluid , some gas , some brake fluid and anti-freeze but we got it running. After giving it up for $175 , I had my engine.

I had some help and put the trans and engine ( showed 92K) in the 70. All I can say is that it was a good thing that I got orders to go to Korea not long after that. That car RAN like crazy !

hutchins
04-12-07, 11:19 PM
The other thing I can tell you is that I bought a 1970 Dodge Super Bee there that had a blown 383 engine. ( remember, this was 1980). I looked all over for another engine and at a foreign car place just off the base , I saw a baby blue big old Dodge sedan that looked like an old cruiser. The paint was powder and it had been rearended. There were old diapers on the back floor !

I went in and talked to the guy who said he took it as a partial trade about a year before. It was in fact a 1972 Dodge Monaco Highway Patrol Car with the 440 hipo engine. There was a mice nest in the carb etc. It took a little while , some starting fluid , some gas , some brake fluid and anti-freeze but we got it running. After giving it up for $175 , I had my engine.

I had some help and put the trans and engine ( showed 92K) in the 70. All I can say is that it was a good thing that I got orders to go to Korea not long after that. That car RAN like crazy !

They don't make 'em like they used to, huh? :D

kels
04-13-07, 02:35 AM
They appear to be spread very thin.
Montana doesnt have a large population.

I would figure you will get sent to the east part of the state.
So plan on 9 months of COLD, SNOW and WIND.

HINT HINT HINT

Due to the high speed driven there, also plan on working a lot of FATALITIES.

But what do I know, I only visit family in the summer:p

mcsap
04-13-07, 04:03 AM
There are more people in the City of Philadelphia than the state of Montana.

I was in Great Falls from Jan 79-Apr 81 and from Nov 82-March 83.

I saw -47 as the coldest temp and another day I saw a temp change of 47 degrees in 5 min. -23 to +24.

hutchins
04-13-07, 12:35 PM
Wow, that is an interesting stat. I looked online and the cost of living is considerably lower than my area in Illinois. Now I know why.

ChesCopPodz
04-13-07, 01:36 PM
I would love to live in Montana, I hate being crowded

dan1210bso
04-14-07, 03:21 AM
they have police in montana?

hutchins
04-14-07, 10:04 AM
they have police in montana?

So it would seem. It could be a fake website. :p

Stan Switek
04-14-07, 12:19 PM
It sounds like an adventure to me. If I was younger I'd go for it. I have friends in Montana. Great place to live & raise a family. Housing is very reasonable.

North Patrol
04-14-07, 12:34 PM
Lets see, it's mainly rural with great hunting and fishing, people are real nice and they have excellent schools. Sounds like hell to me! :)

I live in rural North dakota only 2 hours from Montana and we play alot of hockey there. I love the area. Eastern edge is kinda flat but the rest is beautiful hills and mountains. And it does get a little cold.

nypd7748
04-14-07, 04:48 PM
Salary:
Recruits are paid $11.25 per hour while they attend the Law Enforcement Officer Basic Course.
The current salary for a trooper is $18.11 per hour.

And I thought NYPD salary sucked!

Stan Switek
04-14-07, 05:18 PM
And I thought NYPD salary sucked!

Not great starting pay but they get raises & real estate is very reasonable there compared to NYC. The hunting & fishing are better there though admittedly, you can't catch the infamous "Coney Island Whitefish" in Montana. For those unfamiliar with this game fish:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Coney_Island_whitefish
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coney+island+white+fish

hutchins
04-21-07, 12:37 PM
For some reason I like the idea of going west. It still has that vibe that it had in the Wild west days even though I know its changed. I'm also looking at Missoula PD.

http://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/police/pdemploy.htm