Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Arrested for Egging?

chongo
04-04-07, 09:52 AM
Is it possible to get arrested for egging? My friend recently egged a car on the freeway, idiotic and stupid, and the car chased him for about 10 miles. He thinks the car got his license plate but does not know if they will call the Police. Can he get arrested for this?

Wombat311
04-04-07, 09:56 AM
He could here, but I doubt you're down here, so you better wait for a more 'local' answer.

Your 'friend' is a moron and clearly has no appreciation for how dangerous doing that is.

Legoate
04-04-07, 09:57 AM
In CA throwing objects at moving vehicles is a felony. Throwing them at a parked car can be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on how much damages is done.

chongo
04-04-07, 10:29 AM
Could the fact that he is a minor or that she chased him for so long help him at all? Or will he be prosecuted as a fellon if charged?

Wombat311
04-04-07, 10:34 AM
No, it wouldn't help that he's a minor, that will only affect the punishment. Makes no difference that your 'friend' was chased. I'd chase you too.

chongo
04-04-07, 10:41 AM
The driver would be punished as equally as the thrower, correct?

Wombat311
04-04-07, 10:50 AM
Why? The driver has done nothing wrong. I certainly wouldn't charge the driver. The little punk trying to cause a pile-up on the freeway would receive my wrath and had the driver caught you, sorry, your 'friend', they'd get a pat on the back.

hitnrun
04-04-07, 11:00 AM
The driver would be punished as equally as the thrower, correct?

Say what? Why would the victim be punished?

in CA:

23110 VC: (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any
occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury
maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle,
metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of
doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is
guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by
imprisonment in the state prison.

Other charges could be applicable as well.

North Patrol
04-04-07, 11:06 AM
What you consider being chased might just be the driver trying to get a license plate number for the police.

Up here egging falls under vandalism and criminal mischief. And throwing objects at a moving vehicle could possiblly fall under Reckless Endangerment.

There is also the consideration of any damage caused by your "friends" actions. Did he damage the vehicle (paint or dent), did he cause an accident, etc.

Overall it's just plain stupid!

kels
04-04-07, 11:22 AM
YOU or YOUR FRIEND better talk to a lawyer.

TX-LEO
04-04-07, 11:45 AM
Is it possible to get arrested for egging??

Criminal mischief, damn right you will get arrested.

chongo
04-04-07, 11:56 AM
Say what? Why would the victim be punished?

in CA:

23110 VC: (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any
occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury
maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle,
metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of
doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is
guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by
imprisonment in the state prison.

Other charges could be applicable as well.

Sorry I meant to ask if the driver of the person who did the egging would be punished as equally as the person who through it.

valycop
04-04-07, 12:04 PM
Seems to me we just had this discussion recently, but here's how Virginia looks at this "prank."

18.2-154. Shooting at or throwing missiles, etc., at train, car, vessel, etc.; penalty.

Any person who maliciously shoots at, or maliciously throws any missile at or against, any train or cars on any railroad or other transportation company or any vessel or other watercraft, or any motor vehicle or other vehicles when occupied by one or more persons, whereby the life of any person on such train, car, vessel, or other watercraft, or in such motor vehicle or other vehicle, may be put in peril, is guilty of a Class 4 felony. In the event of the death of any such person, resulting from such malicious shooting or throwing, the person so offending is guilty of murder in the second degree. However, if the homicide is willful, deliberate and premeditated, he is guilty of murder in the first degree.

If any such act is committed unlawfully, but not maliciously, the person so offending is guilty of a Class 6 felony and, in the event of the death of any such person, resulting from such unlawful act, the person so offending is guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

If any person commits a violation of this section by maliciously or unlawfully shooting, with a firearm, at a conspicuously marked law-enforcement, fire or rescue squad vehicle, ambulance or any other emergency medical vehicle, the sentence imposed shall include a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of one year.

valycop
04-04-07, 12:09 PM
Now, this is where the driver in this case can be charged.

18.2-19. How accessories after the fact punished; certain exceptions.

In the case of every felony, every accessory after the fact shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor; provided, however, no person in the relation of husband or wife, parent or grandparent, child or grandchild, brother or sister, by consanguinity or affinity, or servant to the offender, who, after the commission of a felony, shall aid or assist a principal felon or accessory before the fact to avoid or escape from prosecution or punishment, shall be deemed an accessory after the fact.

RO56
04-04-07, 02:26 PM
Sorry I meant to ask if the driver of the person who did the egging would be punished as equally as the person who through it.Ahhh ... so you were driving while your friend threw eggs at another vehicle? Not smart.

scott715us
04-04-07, 07:51 PM
At minimum vandalism in TN and possibly up to agg reckless endangerment depending on the damage done.

Aussie George
04-04-07, 08:10 PM
Egger: I would be looking at disorderly behaviour, property damage, acts to endanger life, assault, depending on the circumstances.

Driver of car that did egging: Acting in company with main idiot and therefore is just as guilty...er I mean just as much an alleged offender.

As for being minors. My guess is if you are old enough to drive a car, unless you stole it, the you are old enough to know that throwing things at other people and especially at moving cars is downright immature, stupid, reckless, oh and illegal. If you and your friends haven't learnt this by now, then you have a lot of growing up to do. I learnt that sort of stuff when i was about 4 years old!!!

Don't throw things at people!! It is not hard.

The only way I would not throw the driver of the egging car in the cell next to the egger is if he did what I would do if one of my "friends" threw eggs at another car. And that is pull over immediately, drag my stupid immature friend out of my car and give him a cuff under the ear before handing him over to the driver that was "chasing" you...er I mean your friend.

And if you expect anything to be done about the person who was "chasing" you, don't hold your breath. If they were to stop at the lights next to you, drag you out of your car, and hold you down until I got there, I would see that as reasonable force to apprehend someone committing an offence. And if you resisted their common law powers of arrest, then I would also charge you with resist arrest. And if you got hurt during that resisting, then too bad. Sue them in court and see how you go, because unless it was totally unreasonable force they used to arrest you, I would be on their side 100% and go to court in my own time and testify on their behalf.

Got it????

And once more for those a little slow....

Don't throw things at other people, especially moving cars.

codered
04-04-07, 11:29 PM
Is it possible to get arrested for egging? My friend recently egged a car on the freeway, idiotic and stupid, and the car chased him for about 10 miles. He thinks the car got his license plate but does not know if they will call the Police. Can he get arrested for this?

YES!

"Can the driver be arrested?"
YES!

Can I give you RED if I am not currently at the wheel? Possibly(but I will not, because you I find your questions entertaining). :)