Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 06:27 PM
I got a restraining order wich was a civil harrassment restraining order here in california and was wondering if it would effect me from pursuing a job in law enforcement.
The restraining order is set to expire a couple months before i graduate with a B.A. in Criminal Justice.

She asking for stay away orders. SHe was asking for 100 yards but i argued that she made false statements and accusations so the judge made it a no contact order.

. I was wonding how bad it would hurt.
I also have a misdeneanor for driving without a liscence wich was dropped down to a infraction.

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 06:35 PM
Yes it's going to hurt.

If it was a Domestic Violence Injunction for Protection (restraining order) it would be a definate no go in Florida.

mobrien316
02-20-07, 06:39 PM
would a restraining order hurt me?

No, it actually helps. It shows you have had prior experience with the court system.

Just as a rough guide for the future, it is possible to think of a question and answer it yourself with a bare minimum of reasoning ability.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 06:39 PM
Here if you have a restraining order served on you, you are not allowed to possess firearms, even for work. So I think that would rule you out.....

speedallurement
02-20-07, 06:40 PM
its not a domestic violence order. ITs a civil harrassment order. I dont see why in civil court when someone can get a restraining order so easy without providing evidence all they got to say is im scared of this guy i want a restraining order.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 06:43 PM
Did you contest it?

Someone had to convince a judge and provide reasons as to why an order should be issued, domestic or otherwise. You are now subject to that order because a judge saw fit to issue it and they shared concerns about your behaviour. If you can't accept that fact then that too would also rule you out of a LEO job in my opinion.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 06:44 PM
when the restraining order expires i can own a gun.
The restraining order is soon to expire before i graduate from college.
Its a civil harrassment restraining order. Not a domestic violence order.

Aota
02-20-07, 06:45 PM
I would say the curcumstances of your restraining order will definitely hold you back. In some states a restraining order is nothing more than a civil action that a judge will automatically impose on both parties in certain instances such as a divorce. It is done to prevent either party from liquidating marital assets prior to the final decree of divorce. So a "Restraining Order" per se won't always kill you if it's that kind. But if it's what we call in TX a "Protective Order", then you're screwed.

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 06:48 PM
when the restraining order expires i can own a gun.
The restraining order is soon to expire before i graduate from college.
Its a civil harrassment restraining order. Not a domestic violence order.

Civil or not, it's going to hurt. If a judge found reason to issue one, particuarly ones that bar your possession and/or ownership of a firearm, then there is quite a reason.

It's going to hurt, even if you can own a gun after it expires.

Aota
02-20-07, 06:50 PM
Did you contest it?

Someone had to convince a judge and provide reasons as to why an order should be issued, domestic or otherwise. You are now subject to that order because a judge saw fit to issue it and they shared concerns about your behaviour. If you can't accept that fact then that too would also rule you out of a LEO job in my opinion.

Agreed. I know that here in the States you have the opportunity for a hearing so that the respondant can contest any and all elements of the order. I'm sure it's the same in Aus.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 06:51 PM
yes i contested all the allegations . She was asking for No contact orders and 100 yard stay away orders from her school and work. The judged dropped it down to just no contact orders. So in reality i can walk right by her and not get arrested. Its only when i make some form of contact by telephone , email or verbal;is when the order is violated. So i believe that the judged believed that i was of no real threat. He just put it up to stop any harrassment.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 06:54 PM
yes i contested all the allegations . She was asking for No contact orders and 100 yard stay away orders from her school and work. The judged dropped it down to just no contact orders. So in reality i can walk right by her and not get arrested. Its only when i make some form of contact by telephone , email or verbal;is when the order is violated. So i believe that the judged believed that i was of no real threat. He just put it up to stop any harrassment.

Then obviously you need to stop harassing people!!! The judge must have thought you were some threat otherwise the whole thing would have been thrown out.

No matter how many times you try to reword your own question, it would seem you are not going to get validation of your own beliefs here.

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 06:57 PM
It's still going to hurt. Even if it is a "no contact" order. A judge has found reason to believe that you are in fact harrassing this person, and needs to stop. And since you can't do that on your own, a judge decided that the only way to resolve the situation would be to issue a court order telling you to. That, and the combonation of driving with no Valid DL just shows bad decision making skills on your part.

Again, for the third time, it's going to hurt.

Aota
02-20-07, 06:57 PM

Either way, your ex must have provided something in the form of evidence (ie. emails, letters, voicemails) that was compelling enough for the judge to order that you are not allowed to have any contact with the woman. I'd say that would raise some eyebrows during a police hiring process.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 07:09 PM
she provided emails. I emailed her . Then she emailed me back telling me to stop emailing her. I emailed her two emails then i stopped. I told the judge that i was difiant but that i became resigned and aware. She files for a restraining order one whole month after i stop emailing her.

But being that i have a B.A. in criminal justice. Would that be able to balance things out. What els should i do.To show the PD that i have learned from my mistakes and and a better individual for the society. Work for corrections? Join the mility.

Aota
02-20-07, 07:12 PM
I dont see why in civil court someone can get a restraining order so easy without providing evidence all they got to say is im scared of this guy i want a restraining order.

Not true!

Prior to my divorce going final my ex-wife accused me of cruelty in an attempt to gain the favor of the judge. But when she got on the stand my lawyer asked her very basic questions about our relationship and my abilities as a father, and she basically contradicted herself and made me out to be a great guy. The judge even said "I see no evidence of any type of cruelty" and then gave my ex a very polite, tactful warning about wasting his time and making false accusations. So I'd say the hearing process works. It did in my case.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 07:15 PM
Its been said at least several times now IT WILL BE A HURDLE.

A BA in Crim Justice is an education certificate. It is not a golden ticket, accept this and you may very well learn something from it eg: No matter how many times you ask the same questions different ways, you are going to get the same answers back.

I am suspecting that the Military may have the same reservations about hiring you as any police force would. Espcially if you have had weapons restrictions placed upon you for no matter how long.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 07:18 PM
well in my case the judge kept asking her if she was aware of the penalty of perjury. He asked her that three times. If i had a lawyer like you did to cross examine the plaintiff i believe the restraining order would have been dismissed.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 07:22 PM
So if he kept asking but still awarded the order, he obviously believed her.

Stop trying to rationalise it to yourself and make it seem all better. One of the skills/traits looked for in a copper is to demonstrate maturity. Here you are not. You cannot accept the referees decision so look for validation from others which clearly you are not getting, so you keep asking in the hope that someone will tell you its all ok, you can get hired.

If you didn't like the outcome, then appeal it, but hey, in the meantime you are stuck with the order and its consequences. Live with it.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 07:28 PM
here in california to a appeal the order i have to prove that something was taken away from me that i didnt know of.
example, job, home , school ect. Im thinking of getting a lawyer and trying to appeal it.

But im understanding from your guys response that people with restraining orders have a slim chance to none of getting hired?

This girl was like a lil obsession i had wiht from high school im sure u guys have been through it where u find it hard moving on, in my case i never threatened her. and i believe that was what a restraining order was for.

Chef_Au
02-20-07, 07:30 PM
But im understanding from your guys response that people with restraining orders have a slim chance to none of getting hired?

Finally the message seems like it is getting through to you!

Aota
02-20-07, 07:34 PM
well in my case the judge kept asking her if she was aware of the penalty of perjury. He asked her that three times. If i had a lawyer like you did to cross examine the plaintiff i believe the restraining order would have been dismissed.

Get a lawyer next time. If you didn't have the money up front then most will accept monthly installments. If having a lawyer meant you could have walked out of court with no order on you at all then it would have been money well spent.

Aota
02-20-07, 07:40 PM
This girl was like a lil obsession i had wiht from high school im sure u guys have been through it where u find it hard moving on

Um no. Can't say I've ever had a "lil obsession". If you yourself are able to recognize it as an obsession, just imagine what it felt like to her! Even if the Dept you apply to can overlook the restraining order, it sounds like your psych exam will be the end of the line for you.

FYI: That's NOT normal, reasonable behavior!

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 07:45 PM

Pretty much, especially with it being so recent. Put a few years into the military, put years between you and the incident and you might have a shot. But with it being so recent, you have little chance. And as stated by myself before, that, coupled with a no valid DL charge suggests poor decision making skills on your part.

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 07:52 PM
This girl was like a lil obsession i had wiht from high school im sure u guys have been through it where u find it hard moving on, in my case i never threatened her. and i believe that was what a restraining order was for.

Ummmmm, No, I can't say that I have been obsessed over a woman to the point that I needed a restraining order placed against me to tell me to leave. I'm willing to say the majority of us haven't. I retract my previous statement of you possibly having a chance later on. Obsession and Stalking are something they look for in the Psychological Exam, and is a DQ.

If you have a B.A., or are in the process of getting one, please use correct grammar that reflects that little fact. The lack of proper grammar skills when trying to ask for professional oppinions on your current situation, just invites people to not take you seriously. And coupled with the situation you are currently in, the bad grammar just doesn't help your image at all.

For future readers, here is a bit of helpful information.....

Restraining orders are for when people just can't understand the word NO.

speedallurement
02-20-07, 10:05 PM
if a restraining order is for people that dont understand no then i dont need a restraining order.

cntryboy0531
02-20-07, 10:22 PM
if a restraining order is for people that dont understand no then i dont need a restraining order.

Considering even you said it's over a woman you just couldn't get over from high school, and were obsessed with, and a restraining order was considered needed by a judge....

I'd say you didn't understand the word "NO", or whatever else was used to convey the thought by the lady.

North Patrol
02-20-07, 10:40 PM
She was asking for No contact orders and 100 yard stay away orders from her school and work.

Please tell me that you mean college and not high school! Considering you said you are finishing you BA in CJ you have been out of High school for a while.

Cat_Doc
02-20-07, 11:08 PM
It would very interesting to see the affidavit requesting the restraining order.

I strongly suspect it would contain much more information than what has been provided here regarding conduct that is of such a nature as to require a court order prohibiting contact.

The mere fact you chose to use the definition of "obsession" referring to the female indicates to me there was sufficient evidence for the court to rule in her favor.

Additionally, this type of behavior would be severely frowned upon by any competent police authority when scrutinizing applicants.

The conduct that was produced to support the restraining order would pale in comparison to the frightening possibility of an armed police officer deciding the little cutie he saw the other night was his newest obsession.

I don't know of any competent law enforcement agencies that would take a chance on this type of applicant, especially with the incident occurring so recently.

It is not what is in your head that counts on this issue; the onus is on the police department to select someone who has displayed prior behavior in such a manner as to garner public trust.

I think you are definitely out of luck in being hired by a law enforcement agency, at least for the next several years.

speedallurement
02-21-07, 01:18 AM
She goes to the same college as me, not high school. She is also my nieghbor.

So since I may be out of luck as you say; should i not even try to apply after i graduate from college when the restraining order is expired?

What would help me out. I always wanted to be a cop when i was younger.

I dont have a criminal record. All i have is a misdemeanor that was dropped to a infraction for driving without an ID. That happened 4 years ago.

Someone reccomended going into the military for a couple of years. If i did that and kept out of trouble, would i have a chance? Apply after three years the restraining order expired with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and military background ???

speedallurement
02-21-07, 01:38 AM
Do you guys think i might have a better chance with Border Patrol, Customs, Correctional Officer, or Probation officer, Am i gonna have a tough time getting hired for these agencies also??

Big Sexy
02-21-07, 01:43 AM
Do you guys think i might have a better chance with Border Patrol, Customs,

As a Federal officer, what makes you think our hiring requirements are any less lax, than that of local agencies?:confused:

speedallurement
02-21-07, 01:45 AM
well i was unsure as to wether they used the same background investigators

Clint
02-21-07, 02:15 AM
Dude, your beating a "DEAD HORSE", you have asked your question several times in the same manner, always with the same answer. Numerous people have answered your question. You have little to no chance in Law Enforcement, asked, answered, next case....

fabolous084
02-21-07, 02:40 AM
Do you guys think i might have a better chance with Border Patrol, Customs, Correctional Officer, or Probation officer, Am i gonna have a tough time getting hired for these agencies also??

You might not have the best chances but trying wont kill ya...Whatever you wanna do go for it, what was that saying "you miss 100% of the shots you dont take?"

InTheEnd
02-21-07, 02:49 AM
No chance of being hired.

speedallurement
02-21-07, 03:04 AM
im presumably thinking alot of you guys are in my same shoes tring to get answers as i am.

My questions are different . For one if people with restraining orders coudnt become officers they would also put no restraining orders along with no felony or domestic violence convitions. Being that it doesnt say no past restraining orders means i have a slim chance.

Also restraining orders are not a criminal matter. The legalites of restraining orders are none. A restraining order is just ment to stop unwanted contact. I think the real problem would have been wether i violated the restraining order.Wich i have not.

Being that i have not been convicted of a crime means that my chances are good. Im sure if they let me slide on the background the polygrath would bring out the truth and my innocence. I think the most basic component as to wether or not i have criminal intent would be from the results of the psychological evaluation. I dont see why something like a restraining order could effect my chances especially when its expired and i can exunerate myself by proving my innocence.

Like i said if it interferes with me being a cop, what could i do to later become a cop in life? Join the military as a officer? Get out then apply 5 or so yrs after the restraining order has expired. Now im feeling pissed out when i knew i coulda knocked out that restraining order.

cntryboy0531
02-21-07, 03:26 AM
im presumably thinking alot of you guys are in my same shoes tring to get answers as i am.

My questions are different . For one if people with restraining orders coudnt become officers they would also put no restraining orders along with no felony or domestic violence convitions. Being that it doesnt say no past restraining orders means i have a slim chance.

Also restraining orders are not a criminal matter. The legalites of restraining orders are none. A restraining order is just ment to stop unwanted contact. I think the real problem would have been wether i violated the restraining order.Wich i have not.

Being that i have not been convicted of a crime means that my chances are good. Im sure if they let me slide on the background the polygrath would bring out the truth and my innocence. I think the most basic component as to wether or not i have criminal intent would be from the results of the psychological evaluation. I dont see why something like a restraining order could effect my chances especially when its expired and i can exunerate myself by proving my innocence.

Like i said if it interferes with me being a cop, what could i do to later become a cop in life? Join the military as a officer? Get out then apply 5 or so yrs after the restraining order has expired. Now im feeling pissed out when i knew i coulda knocked out that restraining order.

I think a moderator needs to lock this thread.... Jr. here isn't getting the hint...

Let me have a fourth or fifth go at this...

A RESTRAINING ORDER IS THE RESULT OF SOME DUMB DECISION YOU MADE, THAT CAUSED A JUDGE TO BELIEVE YOU WERE HARRASSING SOME LADY, AND SINCE YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO STOP, A JUDGE FELT THE NEED TO TELL YOU IN A LEGAL DOCUMENT SINCE YOU COULDN'T TAKE THE FRIGGIN HINT ON YOUR OWN.

And there are tons of legalities that go with a restraining order... If there wasn't, why the HELL would we have them then??

And since you are so hell bent that this will not hurt your chances, why did you come here asking us??? I mean, we're cops... We don't know anything about the hiring process, or what goes on while processing, that the applicant does not see.... :rolleyes:

speedallurement
02-21-07, 03:51 AM
well in conclusion im gonna try to file for a appeal and see what happens.

Reasons i might win. She made false accusations and statements that i can prove.
When she filed for a restraining order if was one whole month after is topped talking to her.
So it was mainly motivated by her parents.
So i believe that the restraining order was falsly obtained and violates my second amendment rights. Being that i am of no viable threat, I have not violated the restraining order in 6 months im in good shaped to get it appealed

Plazoo
02-21-07, 05:20 AM
*Finds nearest brick wall and begins banging my head against it repeatedly* Make it stop! For the love of God...Make it stooooopppp!!!

cntryboy0531
02-21-07, 06:09 AM
well in conclusion im gonna try to file for a appeal and see what happens.

Reasons i might win. She made false accusations and statements that i can prove.
When she filed for a restraining order if was one whole month after is topped talking to her.
So it was mainly motivated by her parents.
So i believe that the restraining order was falsly obtained and violates my second amendment rights. Being that i am of no viable threat, I have not violated the restraining order in 6 months im in good shaped to get it appealed

*sigh* You just don't get it, and I'm done explaining it.

A judge has reason to believe that you were a threat to her. And by your own admission of her being an obsession, I tend to believe the judge. But, since the judge found reason to issue the restraining order, and take away your second ammendment rights, your rights have not been "violated". :rolleyes:

Drew27k9
02-21-07, 08:25 AM
Your question has been answered several times.

Closed.