Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Pulled over - Right turn on red

Gonza
02-13-07, 09:54 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like some insider opinion on a ticket I recently received.
I live in Orlando, FL and last week I was pulled over around 11pm for a right turn on red. I was turning onto a two-lane road from a neighborhood... I slowed down and looked around as I was approaching the traffic light. Although it was dark out, it was a lit intersection and I could clearly see no traffic coming either way, so I turned right without coming to a complete stop. As I turned onto the main road, an unmarked car on the opposite side of the intersection turned its headlights on and pulled out behind me and pulled me over. I pulled over right away, I was polite, a little nervous, but I handed the officer my license and registration and asked why she pulled me over, etc. She wrote me a ticket for $180.50. This seems outrageous to me. :eek:

So, I have 2 questions...
1- Is this an acceptable fine for this violation? (I haven't left out any detail.)
2- I've been told that cops are not allowed to camp out without their lights on, is this true?:confused:

Thanks a lot,
Gonza

Citicop
02-13-07, 10:01 PM
1.) The police have nothing to do with the fine for the violation you committed. The court for the jurisdiction sets the fines, and the legislature sets the laws that the police enforce. If you think the fine is unfair, the police are not the people to blame for the amount.

2.) That is an urban legend. I can sit anywhere I want to observe traffic with or without lights on on the vehicle.

If you think you have grounds on which to contest the ticket (eg. you DID stop before turning), then plead not guilty. If not, you can always ask the judge or prosecutor for a reduced fine based on your otherwise stellar driving history. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

Hope that helps,

Citicop.

corporal716
02-13-07, 10:03 PM
1- Is this an acceptable fine for this violation? (I haven't left out any detail.)
2- I've been told that cops are not allowed to camp out without their lights on, is this true?:confused:,

1. There is a bail schedule for each offense. The cop didn't just makeup the amount.

2. You were told wrong.

LA5150
02-13-07, 10:03 PM
1- Is this an acceptable fine for this violation?

We don't determine the fines, the courts do. Apparently it is acceptable, or the fine would be different.

2- I've been told that cops are not allowed to camp out without their lights on, is this true?

No.

Whoever told you that is most likely a naive criminal justice student, and is sorely mistaken.

chaser
02-13-07, 10:44 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like some insider opinion on a ticket I recently received.
I live in Orlando, FL and last week I was pulled over around 11pm for a right turn on red. I was turning onto a two-lane road from a neighborhood... I slowed down and looked around as I was approaching the traffic light. Although it was dark out, it was a lit intersection and I could clearly see no traffic coming either way, so I turned right without coming to a complete stop. As I turned onto the main road, an unmarked car on the opposite side of the intersection turned its headlights on and pulled out behind me and pulled me over. I pulled over right away, I was polite, a little nervous, but I handed the officer my license and registration and asked why she pulled me over, etc. She wrote me a ticket for $180.50. This seems outrageous to me. :eek:

2- I've been told that cops are not allowed to camp out without their lights on, is this true?:confused:

Thanks a lot,
Gonza

First off I would like to give you credit for coming here and telling the truth about not coming to a complete stop. That is almost unheard of on this forum, it usually goes they wrote me a ticket and I did come to a complete stop, in fact when I stopped I even took time to count my change for a drink at the store so I had to be stopped for a minute or better.

So for being honest I give you a heart felt thanks but the other posts answered your questions the same as I would, so pay up and be more careful.

codered
02-13-07, 11:34 PM

Thanks a lot,
Gonza

1. If you actualy stopped before your turn is not an issue, if there was a sign present that stated: "No right turn on red." Otherwise, if you did NOT stop completley before you turned right.....you are still in violation.
2. I have been working in a 'slick rig' for the past 5 years and, even though I typicallly look for street crimes(robberies, burglaries, thefts from cars and the like).....I can sit where ever I wish, in a blacked out position anywhere I wish, and observe and CITE you for whatever you DO!
I dought this situation is any different, in your area.

Creeker
02-14-07, 12:41 AM
First off I would like to give you credit for coming here and telling the truth about not coming to a complete stop. That is almost unheard of on this forum, it usually goes they wrote me a ticket and I did come to a complete stop, in fact when I stopped I even took time to count my change for a drink at the store so I had to be stopped for a minute or better.

So for being honest I give you a heart felt thanks but the other posts answered your questions the same as I would, so pay up and be more careful.

Ditto That.

Would that all other people with questions were as honest.

SPM
02-14-07, 05:47 AM
Lights can only be off if hat is on.

InTheEnd
02-14-07, 05:54 AM
You can't turn on red in NYC unless a sign says its permitted. Out on the island you can turn right on red. It's not acceptable in some places to turn on red and consider it a lesson learned and pay the fine.

jvale00
02-14-07, 09:31 AM
Lights can only be off if hat is on.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA

INCOMING !

:D

TX-LEO
02-14-07, 09:42 AM

Thanks a lot,
Gonza

1> Yep. Stopsign/light runners kill and injure thousands. Stop!

2> Nope.

Piggy
02-14-07, 12:34 PM
I could clearly see no traffic coming either way, so I turned right without coming to a complete stop.

This sounds identical to 99% of the statements I used to take at the scene of an accident.

Cat_Doc
02-14-07, 12:45 PM
What a refreshing post to see honesty regarding the incident. Kudos, Gonza.

Rad Diver
02-14-07, 01:09 PM
1. The actual cost for not stopping at a traffic control device in Florida is $186.50 and 4 points on your license, this is set by the state of Florida and not the officer.

2. Yup, you didn't stop. You must stop at all traffic control devices (stop sign, red light etc.).

I personally don't agree with the 4 points and $186.50 amounts vs. previously 3 points and $121.50. I used to write 5-20 citations a week till this change took place. Now, I only write 2-3 failure to stop at a traffic control device a year. But this is officer preference.

Jumper
02-14-07, 06:22 PM
1. I can and do write for running a right turn on red light. Our fine is $104.00

2. I sit totally blacked out and silent. Do it all the time.

txinvestigator1
02-14-07, 08:08 PM

Thanks a lot,
Gonza

What difference would that make to your innocence or guilt?

Also, it read to me like you KNOW you deserved the ticket, as you are saying that had you SEEN the officer you would have not rolled the light.

Other than that, relax. A traffic ticket is not a big deal, nor is it an indictment of the good person I am sure you are.

;)

Gonza
02-23-07, 07:59 PM
What difference would that make to your innocence or guilt?

Also, it read to me like you KNOW you deserved the ticket, as you are saying that had you SEEN the officer you would have not rolled the light.

Other than that, relax. A traffic ticket is not a big deal, nor is it an indictment of the good person I am sure you are.

;)

My second question was completely irrelevant to the incident... I just thought I'd ask while I was here. ;) And I know I rolled through the light, I don't deny that, but my main concern was the cost of the ticket, that's all... I'm a student working through school so I'm sure you can understand that.

Thanks to all for the honest advice, I really appreciate your time. Take care

Sincerely,
Gonza

Gonza
02-23-07, 08:03 PM
If you think you have grounds on which to contest the ticket (eg. you DID stop before turning), then plead not guilty. If not, you can always ask the judge or prosecutor for a reduced fine based on your otherwise stellar driving history.

So, if I want to ask for a reduced fine, do I have to go to court?

Thanks,
Gonza

ChesCopPodz
02-23-07, 09:55 PM
Yes you would have to go to court to ask for a reduced fine. Since the court is the one who sets the fines, the judge will be the one who is able to reduce it.

And as others have said, I can't count the times I've heard "I looked but didn't see anyone" after a crash caused by them rolling a stop sign or making the right on red without stopping. On right turns on red, the light is to be treated as a stop sign.