Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Drinking in car in own driveway

bobsanderson
02-11-07, 11:13 AM
If I see someone drinking in his/her vehicle while they are parked in their own driveway, was is my course of action?

best wishes,
Bob

Twelve Volt Man
02-11-07, 11:19 AM
...was is my course of action?

Continue on your way and don't worry about it. It's not illegal to drink in your driveway.

jvale00
02-11-07, 11:42 AM
You should first apply camo face paint to your cheeks, forhead and chin. Then tactically and dynamically, approach this flagrant criminal violator from a position of advantage. Utilize your command presence skills by screaming jihadist rhetoric in a realistic and believable manner as you approach. Then, continuing to keep the offender at a disadvantage, suddenly, change your tactics by embracing the offender in a passionate game of tonsil hockey and biting and tugging on the offenders lips ever so lightely.

Although I am no expert in preventing the complex social and economical issues that often lead to such criminal activities, I think its safe to say this person will definitely think twice before commiting this flagrant act - ever again! This has served the public in two ways. By utilizing discretion empowerd to you by statute and implementing situational law enforcement, you will have clearly shown your commitment to Community Oriented Policing and keen understanding of the philosphies inherrant to spirit of the law versus letter of the law. Thus, preventing repeat offenses and effectively resolving future violations by istituting a mental patrol in potential offenders.

Or....you could simply worry more about yourself rather than attempt to compensate for the piss poor parenting you received throughout your juvenile years of hanging out at shopping malls and working dead end jobs in the restaurant industry by asking stupid questions on RP - but thats just an opinion and one not necesarrily shared by the stations management. :D

Tater
02-11-07, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't stand for it. I would run home and promptly call my neighborhood watch association. That'll teach em. I just can't fathom the idea of someone thinking they can drink on their own property. What is this world coming to?:eek:

manahmanah
02-11-07, 12:35 PM
Then tactically and dynamically

You said "dynamically" +1 :D

Valor55
02-11-07, 01:17 PM
If I see someone drinking in his/her vehicle while they are parked in their own driveway, was is my course of action?

best wishes,
Bob

Don't worry about the wise cracks.

Here for a DUI to apply on private property it must be publicly accessible private property like a parking lot at a store.

Is this a neighbor? Someone you know? You may get better traction trying to talk to them and seeing if there is some kind of problem. Otherwise, until they drive off they really aren't doing anything wrong.

We have some minor charges that may apply if the drinking is in public view but unless you want to start a war with your neighbor don't call the cops on him for something minor.

Obviously if he drives off you can call in a description of the car, the tag number, and general direction of travel. They'll broadcase a lookout and maybe he'll get found by an officer while he's driving.

jvale00
02-11-07, 01:34 PM
You said "dynamically" +1 :D

oops - damn spell check!

Man, I gotta work on that :p

There's an interesting email going around that has every word mispelled with the exception of the first two letters and I think the last letters of each word. Whats amazing is I have no problem reading it - it's like I really don't even notice the spelling errors! I'll see if I can find it and post it. It's pretty humorous!

Valor55
02-11-07, 01:42 PM
oops - damn spell check!

Man, I gotta work on that :p

There's an interesting email going around that has every word mispelled with the exception of the first two letters and I think the last letters of each word. Whats amazing is I have no problem reading it - it's like I really don't even notice the spelling errors! I'll see if I can find it and post it. It's pretty humorous!

It's been posted before. Several times. Do a search.

mobrien316
02-11-07, 06:33 PM
The DUI law in Connecticut just changed on October 1, 2006.

It used to be on public highways, private roads where a speed limit had been established, school property, and parking lots designed for ten or more cars. Now it is anywhere.

From what I have heard the purpose of the change was to permit police to arrest people on snowmobiles who were on private property.

No one I know has yet arrested anyone who was just sitting in their own driveway and drinking.

Although we have arrested people who were under the impression that if they refused to stop for our lights and sirens for a couple of miles until they pulled into their driveway they were then somehow "home free" and couldn't be arrested. It's always good for a chuckle...

Twelve Volt Man
02-11-07, 06:42 PM
The DUI law in Connecticut just changed on October 1, 2006.

It used to be on public highways, private roads where a speed limit had been established, school property, and parking lots designed for ten or more cars. Now it is anywhere.

You mean to tell me that, in Connecticut, I can drink a beer in my house or my yard, but if I enter my car on my property and drink a beer, I can get popped for DUI? That's nuts. Then again, I don't see why I'd ever just sit in my car in my driveway and drink a beer! :)

scott715us
02-11-07, 07:24 PM
In TN it also must be an area that is open and frequented by the public. A private drive would not fall under that situation. Now another agency in TN did file charges against a drunk guy that was doing doughnuts in his truck in a field and struck his wife and another woman, critically injuring them. There's no limitations on property when it comes to agg reckless endangerment...

Super Six 5
02-11-07, 11:45 PM
Although we have arrested people who were under the impression that if they refused to stop for our lights and sirens for a couple of miles until they pulled into their driveway they were then somehow "home free" and couldn't be arrested. It's always good for a chuckle...

You can't be arrested on "home base." I think we covered that last time I attended the State's Attorney's class. :p

mobrien316
02-12-07, 05:01 AM
You can't be arrested on "home base." I think we covered that last time I attended the State's Attorney's class. :p

That must be where all these drunk drivers heard that - at the State's Attorney's refresher class!

:D

citcop
02-12-07, 06:26 AM
In SC private property is fare game. Only stipulation is that our statute reads 'Driving a motor vehicle' not 'Operating a motor vehicle' so the vehicle has to be in motion or fresh evidence of same to get popped. Now, do we make it a habbit to stroll into yards to find someone cutting their grass on a riding mower and having a beer? No. Has anyone gotten popped doing just that in the past? Yes.

mcsap
02-12-07, 07:26 AM
We can charge on private property as long as it is in any way open to the public. This includes a posted private lot like the Moose Lodge that is for members only.

We also can charge for someone who is in " actual physical control". So if the car is parked with the engine runnning in a private lot and they are in the drivers seat...they are FAIR game.

codered
02-12-07, 11:46 PM

best wishes,
Bob

Hnmm, lest see.....cal the police, and let them figure it out.

Or, what did you actually do when you observed this?