Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Local Hiring for USMS

SS rider
02-02-07, 02:25 PM
Can any body share any info regarding the USMS hiring status in the local areas of DC, NYC, and LA. I have heard that they are hurting bad in these areas for manpower and doing express hiring .

Stub
02-02-07, 03:12 PM
Can any body share any info regarding the USMS hiring status in the local areas of DC, NYC, and LA. I have heard that they are hurting bad in these areas for manpower and doing express hiring .

Contact the Deputy Recruiting Officer for the location(s) that you are interested in. Here is a link to the DRO's for each USMS district:

usmarshals.gov/careers/dros.htm

I have called two DRO's. Both returned my call within 24 hours. As it was explained to me, their objective is to recruit applicants from the local population who would be willing to remain in these areas that typically have a high cost of living and potentially long commutes. Best case scenario, they are targeting an October 2007 class date for qualified applicants.

According to one DRO, this recruiting effort will hire qualified applicants as an 0082, at the GS-5 or GS-7 level (grade based on qualifications) with two years probation. After the first year, the DUSM would be promoted to a GS-7 or GS-9 respectively. After the second year, the DUSM will be promoted to a GS-9 or GS-11 respectively. After the third year, the DUSM will rate a non competitive promotion to 1811 as a GS-11, step 1 or GS-11, step 2 respectively. Of course, promotions are based on favorable performance ratings.

I would consider it a very attractive program for those that are interested in becoming an 1811 and willing to spend a minimum of three years in a large metropolitan area on a GS-5 or GS-7, step 1 salary before they are able to OPREF to a more attractive location.

SS rider
02-02-07, 03:33 PM
I just made the call to the DC area and left a message. This seems like an awesome way to become an 1811. That DC cost of living is a ##### however!!! Do you know what qualifications they are looking for?

Stub
02-02-07, 04:16 PM
I just made the call to the DC area and left a message. This seems like an awesome way to become an 1811. That DC cost of living is a ##### however!!! Do you know what qualifications they are looking for?

DRO stated prior military, law enforcement and those with an undergraduate degree from a four year university, indiscriminate of major, are considered well qualified.

terry073
02-03-07, 11:07 AM
according to the USMS website, they are only considering folks who:

Recruiting Status
For Deputy U.S. Marshal positions, the U.S. Marshals Service is currently limited to hiring individuals who:

-- Are completing an authorized Cooperative Education Program with the Marshals Service through an accredited College or University;

-- Are on the register for eligible candidates on the basis of taking the Deputy U.S. Marshals Exam.

Information on future opportunities to take the Deputy U.S. Marshals Exam will be posted in the near future. Be sure to periodically check this website for updates.

Effective October 31, 2006, the U.S. Marshals Service will no longer accept requests to take the Deputy U.S. Marshal examination.

so unless you're one of those individuals, just sit back and wait i reckon...

Stub
02-03-07, 11:39 AM
The USMS has not and may not update their web site with regards to localized recruiting efforts. If your interested in a major metropolitan area such as NYC, LA, or Miami, I suggest you contact the DRO at that location, or of course you could always "just sit back and wait".

Switchback
02-03-07, 12:32 PM
according to the USMS website, they are only considering folks who:

Recruiting Status
For Deputy U.S. Marshal positions, the U.S. Marshals Service is currently limited to hiring individuals who:

-- Are completing an authorized Cooperative Education Program with the Marshals Service through an accredited College or University;

-- Are on the register for eligible candidates on the basis of taking the Deputy U.S. Marshals Exam.

Information on future opportunities to take the Deputy U.S. Marshals Exam will be posted in the near future. Be sure to periodically check this website for updates.

Effective October 31, 2006, the U.S. Marshals Service will no longer accept requests to take the Deputy U.S. Marshal examination.

so unless you're one of those individuals, just sit back and wait i reckon...

I am not a PR guy, but it's my understanding that this is right on.

....and it SUCKS!

Let's just say that, traditionally, the co-op program does not neccessarily give us our best Deputies. This can generally be said for any procedure in which you limit your pool of applicants, but seems amplified for this particular pool (for reasons I don't feel like going into in any detail). I will say that there are a few co-op hires that I absolutely love... most, I agree with my colleagues in referring to them as "walking holsters". :)

I wish they would just open hiring up nationally to anyone that wants to apply. THAT is how you get the best applicants.

Ah well, the desk-jockeys in HQ know best. :rolleyes:

phillyfed
02-03-07, 02:19 PM
I believe the program is the Federal Career Intern Program. I have heard similar programs have existed in the past. This unfortunately can bring with it and further entrench the good ole boy network. I have to agree with Switchback completely in terms of opening testing to the public. I also have to concur with his CO-OP observations. I have seen about 50% of the CO-OPs that are outstanding, squared-away deputies. The other 50% are, let's say, less than stellar performers.

SS rider
02-03-07, 02:37 PM
Why do you think that the 2-year probation program brings about the good-old boy system?

phillyfed
02-03-07, 04:39 PM
Because it is going to give latitude to the district in determining the hiring pool. Meaning its not a national pool of applicants that are screened and are competing. But, maybe someone from the commuting area that has the right friends or connections.

jvale00
02-04-07, 08:52 AM
What exactly is the co-op program..are there university's involved? I'd like to get some info on the program!

Or is more of an intern type program?

:confused:

phillyfed
02-04-07, 12:30 PM
Its a program that is offered at certain participating universities. You have to be going into or senior year and have a 3.0 average or better. If you are selected you get picked up as a GS-4 intern through your senior year. If you graduate on time and pass some other mandatory requirements you basically get offered a slot.

Diggy
02-04-07, 02:07 PM
If you guys are interested in the USMS I suggest contacting the nearest office. A friend of mine did and he got the inside scoop that is not on the USMS website. Some offices are hiring locally.

phillyfed
02-05-07, 01:05 PM
Read the top of these posts.(especially Stub's.) That is what he is referring to in his response.

Redman
02-07-07, 07:07 PM
I spoke to a USMS recruiter today and he basically confirmed all of this. He also said that all 082's are being transitioned to 1811's and this will become the norm, but even as an 1811 you will have to do things like transport and court until you get a few years in. Still doesn't sound like a bad gig. He mentioned a couple other offices doing the local hiring also...He said Houston, San fran, and LA were hurting for deputies the most.

five04zog
02-07-07, 07:46 PM
Any mention what the marshals plan to do with the DEO’s? Are they going to keep them as they are or maybe cut them from the program?

phillyfed
02-07-07, 09:23 PM
All new hire deputies will be 082's for the first 3 years. They will then convert to 1811's after 3 years. As far as DEO's go, it sounds like they are trying to phase them out. But I know some districts still hiring them so who knows.

GrandRoyal
02-08-07, 10:23 AM
All new hire deputies will be 082's for the first 3 years. They will then convert to 1811's after 3 years.

Quick question - I called the deputy in charge of recruiting yesterday who said that under this new program, new 082's would be on "probation" or career conditional status for 2 years, then get the 1811. Is it 2 or 3 years? GS 7, 9, 11 then 1811 as 11 step 2?

Switchback
02-08-07, 10:31 AM
Quick question - I called the deputy in charge of recruiting yesterday who said that under this new program, new 082's would be on "probation" or career conditional status for 2 years, then get the 1811. Is it 2 or 3 years? GS 7, 9, 11 then 1811 as 11 step 2?

I believe this process follows the same one used many years ago, in which it was 3 years. You know, 12 years ago they said that the process was no good and changed it... and here we are going back to it. :rolleyes:

...not exactly the way to get good 1811 candidates.

GrandRoyal
02-08-07, 10:37 AM
I believe this process follows the same one used many years ago, in which it was 3 years.

Thanks for the response. The deputy must have just been confused about the program. He also said that he has been getting calls from current 1811's with other agencies willing to take the rip to a 7 step 10 non leap.

NOLACOP
02-08-07, 10:56 AM
Are Aviation Enf Officers (AEO) allowed to compete for 1811 spots within the USMS also?

Stub
02-10-07, 03:57 PM
Contact the Deputy Recruiting Officer for the location(s) that you are interested in. Here is a link to the DRO's for each USMS district:

usmarshals.gov/careers/dros.htm

I have called two DRO's. Both returned my call within 24 hours. As it was explained to me, their objective is to recruit applicants from the local population who would be willing to remain in these areas that typically have a high cost of living and potentially long commutes. Best case scenario, they are targeting an October 2007 class date for qualified applicants.

According to one DRO, this recruiting effort will hire qualified applicants as an 0082, at the GS-5 or GS-7 level (grade based on qualifications) with two years probation. After the first year, the DUSM would be promoted to a GS-7 or GS-9 respectively. After the second year, the DUSM will be promoted to a GS-9 or GS-11 respectively. After the third year, the DUSM will rate a non competitive promotion to 1811 as a GS-11, step 1 or GS-11, step 2 respectively. Of course, promotions are based on favorable performance ratings.

I would consider it a very attractive program for those that are interested in becoming an 1811 and willing to spend a minimum of three years in a large metropolitan area on a GS-5 or GS-7, step 1 salary before they are able to OPREF to a more attractive location.

I read through the directive on the 0082 to 1811 criminal investigator conversion program.

I also spoke with HR recently. Between these two sources, I learned that I was misinformed by the DRO, and as a result, my previous post reflects incorrect information regarding the 0082 to 1811 conversion and career progression in general.

In an effort to get it right, and per the directive:

DUSM's who graduated USMSI training on or before October 2006, "must have served for 3 years as a DUSM following USMSI graduation before they may be considered for CITP."

and

"All DUSM's hired after August 2006 will remain in the GS-082 series and will adhere to that career path until such time as they are eligible for conversion, but no sooner than the conclusion of the Conversion Classes under the Criminal Investigator Conversion Program."

The 0082 career path is as follows:

GS-5 for one year
GS-7 for one year (could be hired on as a GS-7 based on qualifications)
GS-9 for three years
GS-11 Journeyman
Promotion beyond GS-11 is competitive

The (USMS) 1811 career path is as follows:

GS-9 for one year
GS-11 for three years
GS-12 Journeyman
Promotion beyond GS-12 is competitive

My conclusions:

This means those that graduated from the last 0082 class in October 2006 will not be "considered for CITP" until October 2009. At best, they will not graduate from CITP any earlier than December 2009.

What this means for future classes is that they will not be considered for promotion to 1811 until, at best, immediately after all conversion classes are complete, which cannot happen any earlier than December 2009.

Best case scenario, career progression to GS-1811 journeyman (if hired as a GS-5):

1st year - GS-5, GS-0082
2nd year - GS-7, GS-0082
3rd year - GS-9, GS-0082
4th year - GS-9, GS-1811 with LEAP
5th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
6th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
7th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
8th year - GS-12, GS-1811 with LEAP (Journeyman)

Best case scenario, career progression to GS-1811 journeyman (if hired as a GS-7):

1st year - GS-7, GS-0082
2nd year - GS-9, GS-0082
3rd year - GS-9, GS-0082
4th year - GS-9, GS-1811 with LEAP
5th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
6th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
7th year - GS-11, GS-1811 with LEAP
8th year - GS-12, GS-1811 with LEAP (Journeyman)

This results in career progression for the first 8 years of service as a new DUSM being scripted, so long as one maintains a favorable performance rating and successfully completes the development program.

Any current DUSM's out there have a different interpretation of this directive or any comments?

smcc360
02-10-07, 09:03 PM
...current 1811's with other agencies willing to take the rip to a 7 step 10 non leap.

This would be an extraordinarily poor decision on their parts.

GrandRoyal
02-11-07, 03:52 PM
This would be an extraordinarily poor decision on their parts.

Considering this thread is called “Local Hiring for USMS” and I don’t want it to get closed, please respond to this post to me via PM so we don’t get off track.

Let me say first off that I am a young 1811 with a fairly small OIG shop and I know of myself and a few others with different OIG’s that are going to put in for the USMS under this new hiring initiative. Now in your eyes, as well as others on this board, this could be seen as “an extraordinarily poor decision” on our part. I am curious though as to why, besides the obvious pay cut.

Saying that someone is making a poor decision based on your current situation and experiences is not always a correct assumption. Me and you are probably in different stages of our career, but I would appreciate your advice via PM, because I would hate to let myself, and others that I am friends with, make a “poor decision”.

Now on the flip-side, if someone is an 1811 with a larger agency (i.e. DEA, FBI, ATF etc.), and are enjoying it, I would agree with you that this might not be the best thing for them, but I could not tell them they are making a mistake because I am not sure of there current situation. Maybe in their eyes it would be a great decision that only they can make.

But being with a small agency as an 1811 with limited jurisdiction, case work that they are not interested in, little or no resources (i.e. no car, no training etc.), and poor management, this opening may seem like a great opportunity, especially for someone that always wanted to work for the USMS.

If someone does not like the kind of work they are doing, be it an 082 with the USMS, an 1811 with any agency, or a business accountant with a large corporation, I would urge them to make a decision/career change that is right for them, only after they have fully researched it. Ultimately, the decision they make is going to depend on different factors in their life (their wife/husband’s occupation, location of the job, current job satisfaction, etc), don't you think?

Stub
02-11-07, 04:12 PM
Considering this thread is called “Local Hiring for USMS” and I don’t want it to get closed, please respond to this post to me via PM so we don’t get off track.

Saying that someone is making a poor decision based on your current situation and experiences is not always a correct assumption. Me and you are probably in different stages of our career, but I would appreciate your advice via PM, because I would hate to let myself, and others that I am friends with, make a “poor decision”.

I am interested in the responses your question may generate and would prefer that it be posted on the forum rather than via PM. I think it is a worthy question, that many can benefit from.

SS rider
02-11-07, 04:31 PM
I totally agree with Stub; please submit you replies on the forum. I pretty sure you can offer some GREAT insight!

phillyfed
02-11-07, 04:45 PM
I would like to address a couple of things you touched on in your post. For instance, let's say one goes to Supercourt or one of these larger districts for 5 years under the new hiring initiative. You will not be seeing any case work that would be anymore interesting than what you are doing right now. In fact, you will see little to no case work because you'll be in court or prisoner operations. There are really few exceptions. Secondly, you can forget about your own G ride until you convert to 1811 and then that will be in the form of group cars. Lastly, I believe that the basic common demoninator for any career is management. If your management is poor then so is the job satisfaction most of the time. This is especially true in the USMS depending on what district you end up. The bottom line is that the grass isn't always greener just different grass. There are other great aspects to this job that I am not going to get into right now but I was well informed to what awaited me. Just my 2 cents.

NYPDPOPO
02-13-07, 04:52 PM
I am going to give this a shot.

Vorpal
02-13-07, 05:38 PM
I have to go along with Switchback and say that I also take a dim view of the Co-op program. Although you occasionally get outstanding deputies from the program that appears to be the exception rather than the rule and it is indeed because you are drawing from such a small pool. I would like to see our hiring of veterans expanded and another program started where we target prior LE.

MattJB
02-16-07, 12:59 AM
I applied for the US Marshals in 04 when I came off Active Duty and Im still waiting for a class date. I have pretty much completed all the hiring steps except BI. It was started several months ago though. I was called back to Active Duty so that might have delayed me a little. Im hoping to hear something soon but I have also applied for the border patrol and Im thinking that might come through first.

SHSURobert
02-16-07, 11:16 AM
I read through this thread a few times, but I'm a little unclear. This USMS local hiring program does really exist, correct? Additionally, a candidate doesn't have to be in the CO-OP program or prior service for this particular program, right? I am thinking about calling my local recruiter (Houston), so if anyone has any other input, feel free to speak up. Nice thread...

Stub
02-16-07, 04:42 PM
This USMS local hiring program does really exist, correct?

Yes.

Additionally, a candidate doesn't have to be in the CO-OP program or prior service for this particular program, right?

Right.

SHSURobert
02-17-07, 12:05 AM
Well, I contacted the recruiter for the Southern District of Texas. I am heading downtown in the morning for an information session. We'll see how it goes..

SS rider
02-17-07, 09:38 AM
Any body know what area of Arizona is taking part in the local hiring drive?