Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Unregistered Vehicle Ticket

Armed and DWI
02-05-02, 10:45 PM
(for United States law court)

For speeding tickets, I know if you go to traffic court they usually bring the charge down to a lower-level ticket.

I got a ticket for having an unregistered vehicle (the registration had expired the month prior - bastard DMV not letting me know), and I was wondering if it was worth it to go to traffic court, or if anything could be done.

I know it's not any points on the lisence, but hey if I can save $44 I'll be happy.

e1d
02-05-02, 10:56 PM
at least you're not suggesting taking a gun to court...

lprocter
02-05-02, 11:02 PM
But I seriously doubt there'd be any way to get out of a $44 ticket. Besides,a lawyer would cost a whackload. So you'd save 44, but then have to pay 250,000 for a bloody ****ing piece of
sh!t lawyer. Just pay the ticket. It's your own damn fault, anyway.

Unregistered
02-06-02, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by e1d
at least you're not suggesting taking a gun to court...

hahaha well I was thinking about it

Byu
02-06-02, 03:23 PM
Yeah maybe everyone who can't organize their life the way they should could find someone else to blame for every problem they face. Of course, as you can see that doesn't always work so ,yeah.....sureee.....why not, bring a gun to court, then you could blame the founders of the constitution for giving you the right to bear arms. Sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

Stump
02-06-02, 10:17 PM
I know here that if you protest a ticket, they sometimes will reduce the charge, but the fine tends to be much higher. I think you should just buck up and pay the fine.

PS --- GOOD ONE, e1d!!!!! LMFAO

darrell
02-09-02, 04:24 PM
First of all. There is noway you will win the citation.. Second it isn't the secratary of states fault. You know when ur registration expires it is up to you to call and let then know and to get a new one. Thats why the officer issued the cit. If he thopught it was the SOS fault then you wouldn't have gotten the citation... Am I right... Pay the damn fine and quit crying.....

Armed and DWI
02-11-02, 03:03 PM
Chill man, all I said was that if there was a way to safe $44 I'd like to know. It's not like I would hire a lawyer for this.

I know that where I live, if you get a 4-point speeding ticket, you talk to the prosecutor for 15 seconds and it magically becomes 2 points. I was wondering if it worked the same way for non-point tickets.

lprocter
02-11-02, 06:27 PM
What, get the fine reduced? Not around here. I know people who've gotten breaks on speeding tickets from police officers, but when they tried fighting it in court, the judge raised the fine to the speed they were actually going. Besides, as I said, it's your fault you didn't have a valid tag, so why are you even thinking about fighting it? You know you're guilty, the judge'll know you're guilty (hard to get a ticket for invalid tag without having an invalid tag, you know) so it won't make any different. Just pay the fine and don't contribute to the overcrowding of the courts. Let in people who have something important to fight.

Armed and DWI
02-11-02, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by lprocter
What, get the fine reduced? Not around here. I know people who've gotten breaks on speeding tickets from police officers, but when they tried fighting it in court, the judge raised the fine to the speed they were actually going. Besides, as I said, it's your fault you didn't have a valid tag, so why are you even thinking about fighting it? You know you're guilty, the judge'll know you're guilty (hard to get a ticket for invalid tag without having an invalid tag, you know) so it won't make any different. Just pay the fine and don't contribute to the overcrowding of the courts. Let in people who have something important to fight.

Wow after reading that, sounds like the Canadian justice system is much more respectable. In New Jersey, NO ONE pays for the ticket they are given on the road. It is almost ALWAYS reduced by the time you get to court. You don't even have to talk the the ticketing officer. It's such a sham. I can see why my question seems alien to you.

lprocter
02-11-02, 08:38 PM
Damn. And I thought our system was crappy. Oh well. here, many try to fight tickets, but it never does any good. Most people, though, just pay the fine. Actually, for some tickets, the fine is reduced a little bit if you pay before a certain time (like 7 days), so it is somewhat beneficial to pay the ticket quickly. But still, by trying to fight your ticket, you're just contributing to the injustice in an already horrible justice system.

ladyblue409
02-28-02, 11:39 AM
In my State would have had an expired plate. Like this 01/2002 It would have had expired Jan.31 st or basically the last day of the month . Normally in our court system if you have it take n care of before you go to court the charge is dismissed

FOP900
02-28-02, 06:42 PM
In my home town, they would even tow the car for anything over a month expired.

lprocter
02-28-02, 08:19 PM
In Ontario, an expired plate is a moving offence, ie you can't be charged unless the vehicle is actually being driven on a public road. This allows people to keep plates on cars that they never drive (I don't know why they would, but still...) It does make sense though - if it's not on the road, then who cares if it's registered or not?

realpolice
02-28-02, 08:52 PM
It's only a payable misdemeanor here and non-towable. Some magistrates will lower the ticket or points (if it has any); some will not.