Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Providing False Info?

joesav9256
12-31-06, 07:56 PM
I have a question for any officers that know NJ state law. What is the general penalty for previding false information to the police. Heres the scenerio: Me an another LPO at my store caught these two people and they gave us false names and addresses. What is the penalty for that? Is it a felony? Any input would be much appreciated.

acreature
12-31-06, 07:57 PM
Nope. False info to an LPO? Tough luck.

joesav9256
12-31-06, 08:03 PM
Nope. False info to an LPO? Tough luck.

No but we give that information to the police because we have them arrested. So its just like giving false info to the police correct??

Tater
12-31-06, 08:07 PM
Nope. Would be kind of like lying to your parents. Not right to do it, but then again, not a crime either. As far as providing false information to a Police Officer, I don't see where this even comes into play. They provided you with the info, not the Police. No crime, so therefore, no penalty, except the theft, of course.

Kimble
12-31-06, 08:08 PM
No but we give that information to the police because we have them arrested. So its just like giving false info to the police correct??

No, that's like giving false info to loss prevention. Loss prevention is not law enforcement. Even though you passed the info on to the cops, the offenders didn't directly give false info to the cops, so it won't fly as giving false info the the police.

Let it go, and get them next time.

mcsap
12-31-06, 08:20 PM
We have a charge called " False ID to Law Enforcement". It isn't a crime to lie about your name to LPO's etc., only the police. And it is a Misdemeanor , NOT a felony.

acreature
12-31-06, 08:32 PM

eeeeer, no.

joesav9256
12-31-06, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info......it was just confusing because the police Sgt. said they were charging them with providing false information. And yes i know that LP is not law enforcement, but like I said that information was given to the arresting officer.

txinvestigator1
12-31-06, 08:49 PM
Don't most police departments have arrest sheets/reports and booking sheets/reports? I am sure the arresting officers AND the jail officers asked the arrestees their name and info at some point.

That would be how they ended up getting charged.

acreature
12-31-06, 08:49 PM
........but like I said that information was given to the arresting officer.Only if YOU gave the LEO false information ;)

Not you giving info to an Officer that was given to you as false, or whatever, if you will, as you were.

joesav9256
12-31-06, 08:57 PM
Don't most police departments have arrest sheets/reports and booking sheets/reports? I am sure the arresting officers AND the jail officers asked the arrestees their name and info at some point.

That would be how they ended up getting charged.

that makes sense....thats probably why they're getting charged. But being deceitful certaintly won't get the judge on your side. ;)

ferrara04
01-01-07, 09:51 AM
You had the shoplifter detained and the police arrived correct? Did he happen to give the same information to the officer as you?

joesav9256
01-01-07, 10:28 AM
You had the shoplifter detained and the police arrived correct? Did he happen to give the same information to the officer as you?

yes he gave the same info to the officer that processed him. we give them a photocopy of their information sheet that we write down. But just about every time the arresting officer asks the shoplifter if the information given is true.

phantasm
01-01-07, 10:42 AM
we read a statement that if they give a false name/birthday that they'll receive additional felony charges, but thats to us, not a civilian.

ferrara04
01-01-07, 12:09 PM
yes he gave the same info to the officer that processed him. we give them a photocopy of their information sheet that we write down. But just about every time the arresting officer asks the shoplifter if the information given is true.

Okay, the way your initial post read was as if the police did not have communications with the shoplifter and were going off of your word or document alone. Adding in that the officer talked to the suspect and asked him his identity with the same result is a lot different than a civilian doing it.

flcpd110
01-01-07, 12:12 PM
Giving false name to a LEO in Florida is a Felony if: The name is a real person and such person would be adversely affective by giving such name. If not a real person, then its just resisting by disguise, a misdemeanor.

joesav9256
01-01-07, 09:15 PM
Okay, the way your initial post read was as if the police did not have communications with the shoplifter and were going off of your word or document alone. Adding in that the officer talked to the suspect and asked him his identity with the same result is a lot different than a civilian doing it.

ok i see