Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : slippery slope of police work

lax854
12-01-06, 02:03 PM
so im guessing everyone has heard about the groom being shot dead by the nypd by now. With all the videos on the internet today, its really becoming clear how dangerous police work is. But it seems with technology today, police work should become easier! Well it has to a certain extent. Many agencies have utilized cameras in their patrol cars. The camera never lies! Many agencies have invested in spike strips, oc spray, anything that will give the police the upperhand. But it seems this technology and societies attitude in general are creating this slippery slope today.

For yall who dont know, the slippery slope is a criminal justice/ more sociology term. It is no surprise that these shootings and events are nothing new. But it seems these events are having a more negative effect on policing today. Everywhere you go, im sure theres a news camera watching your every move. As a recruit heading out in the streets in 3 weeks, with all this negative publicity, it makes me second guess scenarios in the academy and in my training! So now everytime im put in a life or death situation, im going to have to second guess pulling out my weapon. Sure this is what society may want, but im sure all of you know that this can cost a police officer his life. Shame on society, i wish i could stick a big politician out there for one night and take my car and try to ram him. I bet you we would see changes then. Or even better, Al sharpton.:D

hitnrun
12-01-06, 02:35 PM
As a recruit heading out in the streets in 3 weeks, with all this negative publicity, it makes me second guess scenarios in the academy and in my training! So now everytime im put in a life or death situation, im going to have to second guess pulling out my weapon.

Two things:

1) That kind of attitude will get you or a partner killed. You need to be absolutely resolute in your feelings and attitude toward the job BEFORE you start it. Lack of confidence can/will get you hurt. Think about that please.

2) Screw what society thinks. Do your job and don't cater to the whiners. As long as you are within the law and policy, you are golden. Society is ALWAYS going to find something wrong with government organizations. That's nothing new.

ChesCopPodz
12-01-06, 05:53 PM
As a recruit heading out in the streets in 3 weeks, with all this negative publicity, it makes me second guess scenarios in the academy and in my training! So now everytime im put in a life or death situation, im going to have to second guess pulling out my weapon.

If this is seriously how you feel and not sarcasm, you need to resign right now. Not being mean by saying that, just honest. If you feel this way, you will get someone hurt or killed. A large number of officers die each year because the hesitate pulling the trigger. Its bad enough if you got yourself killed because you hesitated, but could you live with yourself if your partner got killed because you hesitated?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be mean, but if you really feel that because of fear of liability, you may not be able to do what is needed when the time comes, this job is not for you and you need to realize it now instead of AFTER someone gets hurt or killed because of it.

Babysmamadrama
12-01-06, 05:58 PM
Lax, you may need to see the Kyle Dinkheller video.

Know your law and tactics cold. Roleplay them in your mind.

I would rather live with a pending lawsuit than with a dead partner and his surviving families eyes on me.

Cops afraid to do their jobs is just what the criminals want. It makes them laugh and even bolder.

7mmMag
12-01-06, 06:31 PM
Lax, you may need to see the Kyle Dinkheller video.

Know your law and tactics cold. Roleplay them in your mind.

I would rather live with a pending lawsuit than with a dead partner and his surviving families eyes on me.

Cops afraid to do their jobs is just what the criminals want. It makes them laugh and even bolder.

That was a slightly different situation, Dinkheller was a reserve officer with very little training and experience. But yes, it is a video that every officer should see.

phantasm
12-01-06, 06:42 PM
Make sure you and other cops go home at the end of the night. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. If its against the patrol guide, but not against the penal law, go for it if it will save you or another cops life. Better alive and no longer a cop, then the rest of us having to attend another cops funeral.

LA5150
12-01-06, 07:37 PM
A hesitant cop is a dead cop.

Lfpdlieu302
12-01-06, 07:43 PM
ditto on everything said above! NEVER alter the way you handle something for fear of what may happen later. as long as youre not being a cowboy or abusing your power, you do what you have to do in order to go home each and every day. period. you can cut somone a break and still have scrutiny over the way you handled a situation. stick to your training, and do the right thing.

Joeyd6
12-01-06, 07:47 PM
This is just proof that the folks in the academy teaching you recruits ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOB!!!!

When I was there.....we crammed in all the book stuff. Then, we were taught "the street way." We were taught about NYS vs. NYPD rules and what to do and what not!

Yoru instructors have failed you and your company if you feel this way and/or this incident is the first it has hit home that you will always be 2nd gussed by the public, your supervisors, the brass and media.

greenlead
12-01-06, 10:13 PM
Follow your training, and let the lawyers argue about it later.

CincyCop
12-01-06, 10:52 PM
A hesitant cop is a dead cop.

Yep!

On target, on time.

Samuel
12-01-06, 11:31 PM
My definition/explanation of "slippery slope" is much different than yours.

Btw, "the camera never lies" ? A camera doesn't tell the whole story and what the camera/film shows can easily be misunderstood or misinterpreted...

getitdone
12-02-06, 02:24 AM
This is just proof that the folks in the academy teaching you recruits ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOB!!!!

Maybe in his academy. Can't speak for others. In ours we're taught to make the decision and live with it later, but NEVER hesitate. That WILL be your ***. Yes, later on you may reconsider your actions or how you would've done it differently. So learn from it and move on. You'll be thinking the words, "Crap there might be a camera around, I better make sure that" BAM BAM .... so much for finishing that thought.

Kind of reminds me of class tonight. We've been training on arrest mechanics, and we are always told that once we've made the decision to arrest, then DO it. Don't mess around about it. "Sir please put your hands behind your back" WHILE you're helping them do it, not waiting for them to do it. No second chance to comply. The first isn't a chance to comply really, you're TELLING them what you're doing and, well, DOING it.

ChesCopPodz
12-02-06, 03:32 AM
In 1999, the FBI posted an article in their bulletin about hesitation and officer deaths.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/library/School_News0103.pdf

Start with page 29

And if you need what we've been saying burned into your head, watch this video. For some reason this trooper hesitated and it cost him his life.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1151061856/Cop_Murdered_During_Routine_Traffic_Violation

If you think that you will hesitate if this situation happens to you, you need to do one of two things. Resign now, or make damn sure when you get out of the academy you make it perfectly clear to the officers you work with that you may not be able to do what needs to be done, when it needs doing. At least give them fair notice that you may not have their back when crunch time comes. Like with my other post, I'm not being a sarcastic son of a _____, just trying to open your eyes. If I was working with you, I'd really want the information that you may hesitate in a deadly force situation, so I know that if you're my cover unit, I can't rely on you 100% and have to treat the situation like I'm the only one there.

Valor55
12-02-06, 03:48 AM
it makes me second guess scenarios in the academy and in my training! So now everytime im put in a life or death situation, im going to have to second guess pulling out my weapon.

This is not the job for you. Save your life, and the lives of those you will be working with and find a different career. Not judging you personally but this is the absolute wrong attitude. You will get yourself or someone else killed.

mcsap
12-02-06, 03:50 AM
It is better to be sued than buried.

Do your job to the best of your ability and do it for the right reasons and accept that somehow , someway , someone will probably sue you anyway.

cruzmisl
12-02-06, 08:46 AM
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

lax854
12-02-06, 09:42 AM
It is better to be sued than buried.

Do your job to the best of your ability and do it for the right reasons and accept that somehow , someway , someone will probably sue you anyway.

i agree 100 percent. The reason i posted that was to point out the dual stress facing police officers today. It almost seems intentional wiht many of the videos out there. With technology today, videos are everywhere. Perps/even citizens are trying to be paid off. Its almost as if theyll do anything to get you to react wrong.