Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Ohio 'Road Closed' sign

Scruit
10-29-06, 10:55 AM
Could you help settle an argument from another forum?

A man was driving on a road and saw a standard 'Road Closed' sign. He figured he could pass the sign and reach a sidestreet before the actual obstruction.

After driving past the sign he travels another half a mile before he sees a police officer, and gets a ticket for failure to obey the sign.

The discussion at the other forum is focused on the placement of the road closed sign. The prevailing opinion is that placing the sign half a mile from the obstruction is a violation of the Ohio Manual of Uniform Traffic Control (pages 6F-13 and 6F-14) that requires the sign be placed AT the obstruction.

Question: Considering the wording of 'the Manual', on what grounds would it be ok for the road to be closed half a mile from the obstruction?

I'm not asking anyone to second-guess the officer who put the sign up - I'm just asking if there is another rule or law that allows the police to supercede the traffic control manual.

Jay7376
10-29-06, 11:03 AM
I'm not asking anyone to second-guess the officer who put the sign up - I'm just asking if there is another rule or law that allows the police to supercede the traffic control manual.

I assume you are referring to a construction zone which requires that the road be closed. If so, what makes you think that an Officer put up the sign?

I have never even touched a "Road Closed" sign, the company doing the construction work does that.

Scruit
10-29-06, 11:13 AM
We don't know why the road was closed by whom. Just that there was a 'road closed' sign and that the officer was half a mile further down the road.

If there is an accident that blocks the road, who puts up the road closed sign?

Jay7376
10-29-06, 11:16 AM
If there is an accident that blocks the road, who puts up the road closed sign?

Can't answer that one for you. Whenever I have had to close down a road due to an accident, we did not use a road closed sign. A cruiser parked across the road normally does the trick.

ChesCopPodz
10-29-06, 02:14 PM
VDOT is the only one with "ROAD CLOSED" signs. Since VDOT is in charge of all the official signs (speed limit, stop, yield, etc), if you go around a ROAD CLOSED sign you are disregarding a highway sign.

Darin
10-29-06, 03:25 PM
There could have been some type of hazard just beyond the sign. Doesn't matter if the construction/obstruction was a half mile away.

Road closed means just that.

Darin
10-29-06, 03:27 PM
Of course my above post refers to Virginia roads. :D

ExUSPP
10-29-06, 04:44 PM
Could you help settle an argument from another forum?

A man was driving on a road and saw a standard 'Road Closed' sign. He figured he could pass the sign and reach a sidestreet before the actual obstruction.

After driving past the sign he travels another half a mile before he sees a police officer, and gets a ticket for failure to obey the sign.

The discussion at the other forum is focused on the placement of the road closed sign. The prevailing opinion is that placing the sign half a mile from the obstruction is a violation of the Ohio Manual of Uniform Traffic Control (pages 6F-13 and 6F-14) that requires the sign be placed AT the obstruction.

Question: Considering the wording of 'the Manual', on what grounds would it be ok for the road to be closed half a mile from the obstruction?

It could be that there was no legitimate place to go after the sign. If the obstruction is prior to the next side street and there are no houses or businesses on the closed road prior to the obtruction then there would be no reason to drive down the road. And if that were the case, persoanally I would be pissed if the sign wasn't posted at the entrance to the closed street and I had to drive a half mile only to find out I needed to turn around.

Usually if you can get to a houses or side street prior to the obstruction they put up a sign that says "Road closed. Local traffic only."

Scruit
10-29-06, 06:32 PM
It could be that there was no legitimate place to go after the sign.

That's pretty much what I was arguing. The argument I got in return was "It doesn't matter if there's nowhere to go, the manual says the sign should not be posted if the actual obstruction is 'some distance' away."

The OP won't say what the blockage actually was... :confused:

Oh well.