Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : FTO accidentally shoots trainee

Sierra
10-11-06, 01:12 PM
http://www.ashlandcitytimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061008/COUNTY09/610080368/1291/MTCN01

Deputy shoots deputy in training
Williamson County officer accidentally fires gun in drill

By CLAY CAREY
Staff Writer

FRANKLIN A Williamson County sheriff's training officer whose gun was loaded when it shouldn't have been accidentally shot another deputy during an unscheduled training exercise Saturday, authorities said.

Telayna Luttrell underwent surgery at Williamson Medical Center on Saturday evening and is expected to make a full recovery, Sheriff Ricky Headley said.

She was shot shortly before noon by Deputy David Hellstrom, a training officer, during a drill at a volunteer fire department south of Franklin.

"It just appears to be an accident," Headley said Saturday evening.

Four officers had been involved in training exercises at the Peytonsville Volunteer Fire Department before the shooting occurred. Hellstrom and another experienced deputy were training Luttrell and a second trainee on techniques for finding crime suspects inside a building.

When they started the training exercise that morning, all the officers emptied the chambers of their duty weapons and removed the clips. They worked through several scenarios, Headley said, and after finishing the last drill, they reloaded their weapons as they prepared to leave.

"One of the trainees began talking about some other scenario they hadn't run through," Headley said.

When they went back into the Fire Department to go through that drill, Hellstrom did so with a loaded firearm.

"Obviously, Deputy Hellstrom thought he had unloaded his gun again, or perhaps he got wrapped up in the conversation or the scenario and forgot he had reloaded it," Headley said.

As they went through the drill, Hellstrom accidentally shot Luttrell. The sheriff said the bullet hit her in the badge and ricocheted off her bullet-resistant vest. It went through her shoulder and also hit her hand. The injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

"Her bulletproof vest probably went a long way toward making this not as serious as it could have been," Headley said.

The sheriff said his department would conduct a "very intense investigation" into the shooting, likely to include a look at the department's training drill policy.

He said Saturday it was "way too early to speculate on disciplinary action" against Hellstrom.

While accidents of this nature are "very rare," Headley said, they are not totally unexpected.

"Firearms, they're a tool of our trade. It's something we have to have," he said. "Accidents happen. It's very unfortunate, but I wouldn't say this is surprising. Accidents are going to happen from time to time."

Luttrell and Hellstrom have worked with the Williamson County Sheriff's Department since 2001. Luttrell has only been a deputy for a few months. Previously, she worked at the county jail and as a courthouse officer.

Hellstrom has more experience on patrol and has been a training officer "quite a while," the sheriff said.

Both have had "excellent" records, Headley said.

Christ, that was a close one!

mxwelch
10-11-06, 01:28 PM
"Her bulletproof vest probably went a long way toward making this not as serious as it could have been," Headley said.

Understatement of the year. Glad she's going to make a full recovery.

ngcsubutterbar
10-11-06, 01:28 PM
That trainee now owns her FTO.

No you can't drive

Remember when you well SHOT ME! :D

Rad Diver
10-11-06, 01:30 PM
Which is why when we train we use rubber, either blue or red, guns. Not the real thing.

ngcsubutterbar
10-11-06, 01:46 PM
We do what they did, officers don't will not buy blue guns, and we do this training while on duty.

mxwelch
10-11-06, 01:51 PM

No you can't drive

Remember when you well SHOT ME! :D

:D ...

acreature
10-11-06, 01:57 PM
For those of us who train.............

How do we really know it was an accident?

:D

Hockey9019
10-11-06, 02:01 PM

No you can't drive

Remember when you well SHOT ME! :D Haha yeah

Understatement of the year. Glad she's going to make a full recovery. Yeah. Not a good way to find out if the vest works.

Bushum
10-11-06, 06:20 PM
Haha yeah

Yeah. Not a good way to find out if the vest works.

This was all part of the training. You know how you get shot with the Taser so you have confidence that it will work? Well...

Mike Romeo
10-11-06, 06:24 PM
We train with real guns, but not until all the trainers are personally sure that you don't have any ammunition on you or in your weapon.

I'm glad to hear we didn't loose another one over training.

Rad Diver
10-11-06, 09:39 PM
Each precinct is issued blue guns. As an FTO I have access to them. People do some stupid shiat, and I don't want some dumb *** shooting me.

We also have paint ball guns, simunitions, etc. Each of my trainees gets to use a sim gun on me at some point in time during their training with me. But, I also get to use it on them.

I wuz talking with a range master with another agency and he recently got certified to use/teach with airsoft guns. He said he had no problems getting me certified and using his equipment. Using the plastic pellets, or even the small paint pellets is cheaper than simunitions.

ngcsubutterbar
10-11-06, 09:42 PM
From someone heavily experienced in airsoft, don't use the paint pellets on anything 'but' the cheap springers.

mobrien316
10-12-06, 01:51 AM
Which is why when we train we use rubber, either blue or red, guns. Not the real thing.

Exactly.

My department switched to blue guns for training a while ago, thankfully.

I can't imagine trying to defend my lesson plans in court when the first part of each lesson begins with a review of the Four Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety, including the part about all guns being loaded and not pointing the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy. Then immediately following that review with, "All right, unload your guns and point them at each other."

ColdFreezer02
12-09-06, 04:54 PM
So, um.... SBrad...um....you wouldn't ever think of shooting me if I was placed with you after the academy.... right?

Rad Diver
12-10-06, 11:08 PM
I really wanted to shoot my last trainee, she quit before I could. The last day of phase 3, she was a bit upset that I was going to remediate her.