Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Evading-Felony or Misdemeanor???

jerseyse410
09-26-06, 05:56 AM
I have been watching a lot of the "Disorderly Conduct on Patrol" and "Worlds Scariest Police Chases" to I guess get an idea of how bad...things can get sometimes. I am wondering though, what is the difference between what constitutes felony evading and misdemeanor evading. And I do believe here in alabama I read a newspaper article that it was not a felony to evade in alabama, please correct me if I'm wrong troysig. Thanks all

kels
09-26-06, 08:51 AM
Every place is different.

Here, if you are fleeing from a felony crime, it is a felony.

If you commit 5 traffic violations, it becomes a felony.

chaser
09-26-06, 09:27 AM
Just a damn misdemeanor in Alabama but we work two States and it is hard to try running without entering Tennessee which is a felony.

jerseyse410
09-26-06, 10:21 AM
lol, nice chaser. Chase him to tenessee and get on the loudspeaker and yell "Gotcha B***h!"

JD45
09-26-06, 12:44 PM
Reckless evading = felony Endangering the lives of others while evading consitutes reckless.

ParadeRest
09-26-06, 01:58 PM
Not even a crime to evade to NY. You'd just have to articulate Reckless Endangerment.

ChesCopPodz
09-26-06, 02:07 PM
Here if I can articulate that you put people in immediate danger, it's a felony. If you're running from me on an open road with not much traffic, it will be a misdemeanor. If you are going 100mph past a school or a neighborhood or during rush hour, that's a felony.

deputywave
09-26-06, 03:08 PM
If you run from me, regardless of how fast or how much traffic, it's a felony.

scott715us
09-26-06, 04:13 PM
Misdemeanor on foot in TN, felony in vehicle(s).

k9dan
09-26-06, 06:49 PM
Three things in Il. make it a felony. Driving more than 21 MPH over the speed limit, disobeying two or more traffic control devices and I forgot the third.... Someone help me out.

flcpd110
09-26-06, 08:40 PM
As of Today in Florida Fleeing in a vehicle is a felony and on foot is a Misdemeanor...However come October 1 Fleeing in a vehilce will be a Misdemeanor also.

phantasm
09-26-06, 09:23 PM
Not even a crime to evade to NY. You'd just have to articulate Reckless Endangerment.

easy enough to do in NYC, at any hour.

drummer-eman
09-26-06, 09:26 PM
In PA fleeing ina car is a misdemeanor, it used to be up till about 1996 or so only a SUMMARY, traffic ticket.:eek: Nothing like chasing a car then to finally get them to stop and just give them a ticket...Oh how I hate the libs in PA...

APDSarge
09-26-06, 10:40 PM
As of Today in Florida Fleeing in a vehicle is a felony and on foot is a Misdemeanor...However come October 1 Fleeing in a vehilce will be a Misdemeanor also.

Thats news to me.

APD92
09-27-06, 01:52 AM
K9Dan, the third thing is turning off your headlights

Westkentuckycop
09-27-06, 02:04 AM
I believe its felony in a MV, Misdomeanor on foot in most cases (At least in KY). I believe there are stipulations on when it is considered a felony even in a Motor vehicle though. I know a few are running while DUI or Suspended, I believe running from a domestic situation is also a felony (All in MV's)

Tapped

flcpd110
09-27-06, 08:31 AM
Thats news to me.

Read your updates that came out a couple of months ago. Says it will be 1st degree misdeameanor

Liter_of_cola
09-28-06, 04:19 PM
Every place is different.

Here, if you are fleeing from a felony crime, it is a felony.

If you commit 5 traffic violations, it becomes a felony.

Also in kansas driving around a roadblock, driving around stop sticks, or reckless driving automatically bumps it to a felony.

Radical Jack
09-28-06, 06:13 PM
Fleeing and Eluding is a felony in MI.

kels
09-29-06, 02:43 AM
Also in kansas driving around a roadblock, driving around stop sticks, or reckless driving automatically bumps it to a felony.

However try not to chase them across the Manhattan Country Club
golf course, they get a little prissy about that.:D
Dont worry Liter, it was before your time.
The best thing you can do is chase them into Pot County. Then
they go to jail at Westmoreland.

Liter_of_cola
09-30-06, 02:39 AM
However try not to chase them across the Manhattan Country Club

Well I haven't heard that one before! Time to stir some stuff up tomorrow when i go back on.