Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Impersonating a Police Officer

bsntorn
09-18-06, 12:42 PM
I had someone I don't know tell me they were a Police Officer. I saw on this site that you guys really are Police officers. Is there some registry that I can find to check to see if this guy is a Real Police Officer. I am a nurse & as a nurse I have to register with the Professional Department. I don't know if there is anything like this for LEOs.
I do not think this guy was really a Police Officer.
Thanks for your help. I live in Illinois (If this helps to find out)

JD45
09-18-06, 01:03 PM
No, not anything that is public.

Valor55
09-18-06, 01:15 PM
If he gave you some kind of indication of the department he worked for you can check with the department. The other thing you can do is contact the department for the area where you live or where this occurred and file a report. If you have a license plate or name and description they may be able to track the guy down. If they've already gotten complaints about him but they're having trouble proving it your report may be the icing on the cake.

flcpd110
09-18-06, 05:24 PM
There are many questions you could have asked (ie wheres your badge and ID?, what department do you work for?, whats your badge number?) The question I have to ask is How did him being a police officer get brought up? Was he in the co**** of a law enforcement duty?

ispcapt
09-18-06, 07:20 PM
IL has the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board which will have a listing of every certified LEO in IL but I don't know just how successful you'll be in finding out anything. You can give them a call and see.
Or, unless you're in the Chicagoland area, you can call about any PD and run the name past them and the circumstances. Unless you're in a high population area most of the downstate agencies will have heard of an officer from a neighboring PD/SO.