Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

TheAdmiral0203
09-09-06, 01:19 AM
I live here in San Antonio, TX and I would really like to purchase a personal firearm. I'm 22, have a clean record, my dad is a LEO, and I do intend to own it very professionally. My question is, would it be illegal for me to own a firearm here, since I am RENTING and not OWNING the place where I live right now? Any advice on this?

Super Six 5
09-09-06, 01:44 AM
It is not against the law to own a gun and store it in your residence, even if you rent.

mcsap
09-09-06, 04:53 AM
Your house is your castle even if you pay someone else for the privilege to live there.

Jay7376
09-09-06, 05:57 AM
Why would it matter if you own or rent? So a homeless person couldn't own a firearm? Doesn't make any sense to me.

1depd
09-09-06, 08:14 AM
Heck when I finally close on my house, I'm really just renting from the bank.:D

tomahawk134
09-09-06, 11:40 AM
I live here in San Antonio, TX and I would really like to purchase a personal firearm. I'm 22, have a clean record, my dad is a LEO, and I do intend to own it very professionally. My question is, would it be illegal for me to own a firearm here, since I am RENTING and not OWNING the place where I live right now? Any advice on this?

I should not be illegal for you to own a firearm if you rent an apartment. Gun owner is based on several factors. Purchase of your handgun will require you answer questions:
- Are youa citizen of the United States?
- Have you been convicted of a felony?
- Currently under indictment for a crime considered a felony?
- Have you ever been delcared mentally incompentent?
- Dishonorably discharged from the US Military?

I am sure there are additional questions. One question I know DOES NOT appear is if you own or rent your home?

Good luck with your handgun purchase

TheAdmiral0203
09-09-06, 01:34 PM
thank you'all for your responses

txinvestigator1
09-09-06, 01:41 PM
Texas Penal Code
46.02. Unlawful carrying weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun,
illegal knife, or club.

46.15. Nonapplicability.

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(2) is on the person's own premises or premises under the
person's control

ChesCopPodz
09-09-06, 01:47 PM
Perfectly legal

Valor55
09-09-06, 02:21 PM
The only caveat I can think of is if your landlord clearly prohibits it in your lease. The only repercussion would be eviction, not criminal prosecution.

RO56
09-09-06, 04:50 PM
Why would it matter if you own or rent? So a homeless person couldn't own a firearm? Doesn't make any sense to me.If the "homeless person" is living on the street (literally), then he'd have to have a concealed pistol license to carry it. A cardboard box under the overpass doesn't constitute a "castle", nor does a stolen shopping cart.

cntryboy0531
09-09-06, 06:08 PM
The only caveat I can think of is if your landlord clearly prohibits it in your lease. The only repercussion would be eviction, not criminal prosecution.

My condominium complex has that in all their lease agreements. I even had to sign it and she knew I was a cop, and am one of the 17 other courtesy officers on the premises. My gun stays with me. They want me out because of it... Evict me. But I can gurantee you if they did, every other cop in the neighborhood will follow me. :)

Plus that, unless for some reason duty wise, we are foribiden by policy from leaving firearms in our car.

I really don't think a landlord should be allowed to forbid firearms in someone's home, but, they can.

To answer the posters question. It's perfectly legal.

TX-LEO
09-10-06, 01:45 PM
Yeah you are fine in San Antonio with your gun. I've lived in the San Antonio area since 2001, and Love it. ( except for all the un-insured motorists )