Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Waterboy
09-07-06, 05:27 PM
I've read all about applicants getting a letter of a conditional offer and I also received halfway throughout my hiring process a letter I had to sign stating that I will be offered a position for so much money an hour providing that I pass the required phases in the testing process.

Okay, I wouldn't of applied for the job in the first place, if I didn't accept the salary and testing process. So why would I be asked halfway through the process if I accept those conditions?

It also states that the conditional offer is contingent upon availabilty of available positions.

I understand that I may have to wait until the academy starts and may be be put on a waiting list until a position opens.
Again, something all applicants should know before they even decide to apply and not something that should be addressed halfway through the testing process.

So what am I missing here as far as what a conditional offer really is offering me and the conditions I have agreed to halfway through the process that I wouldn't of agreed to in the beginning?

I also wanted to add that I haven't heard of my psychological and medical results for 3 weeks since I completed them, so I don't know if that is a good thing, a bad thing or just normal in the process.
All I know that I haven't received a letter or call saying that I am rejected or failed anything, which is a great thing.

Jay7376
09-07-06, 05:31 PM
A conditional offers means that if you meet all of the conditions that the department sets forth, IE, pass the physical, psychological, etc, then you will have a job.

Waterboy
09-07-06, 05:42 PM
A conditional offers means that if you meet all of the conditions that the department sets forth, IE, pass the physical, psychological, etc, then you will have a job.

That should be obvious from the beginning. Should it not? Why would anyone apply and go through and pass all the conditions if they wouldn't get a job?
Or are you saying that one would get a job immediately without no long waiting list to be hired?

DeltaV
09-07-06, 05:56 PM
That should be obvious from the beginning. Should it not? Why would anyone apply and go through and pass all the conditions if they wouldn't get a job?
Or are you saying that one would get a job immediately without no long waiting list to be hired?

Conditional offers exist basically because of various employment laws. An employer cannot give an applicant a medical exam, drug test, or psychological examination before offering them a job. This can also apply to certain parts of the background investigation, depending on state laws. Basically, a conditional offer is more of a legal requirement than anything else. Some agencies give them out earlier in the testing process than others.

Here, we give out our conditional offers before the psych exam and medical exam. Everything else has already been completed. That doesn't mean that everyone who has made it to that point in the process will get a conditional offer, though. While many applicants will pass the background and poly, only the most qualified are given conditional offers. What this means is that an applicant may technically pass all the steps in the hiring process that they can, however still isn't selected to move forward into the final stages.

Waterboy
09-07-06, 09:08 PM
So a conditional offer also means that the department looked at you as a better candidate for the position even though there may of been another applicant(s) who passed as many tests as you did?

Jay7376
09-08-06, 12:20 AM
So a conditional offer also means that the department looked at you as a better candidate for the position even though there may of been another applicant(s) who passed as many tests as you did?
Pretty much

A conditional offer is given when the department is planning on hiring you, as long as you pass the remaining tests.

mobrien316
09-08-06, 02:39 AM
If you are in Connecticut a conditional offer simply means that you have progressed to the stage where you must pass a polygraph exam. It doesn't mean you will get hired. In my department we will send the top five or six applicants to the polygraph even if we only have one opening.

Because of the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (passed in 1988) it is illegal for most employers to require a polygraph of their applicants under most conditions. The Act doesn't apply to government jobs (including the Connecticut State Police and every municipal agency in Connecticut.) In CT if you are given a "conditional offer of employment" it permits that department to make you take a polygraph exam, which they couldn't do without the conditional offer.

Since Connecticut also has a law which requires that anyone who is POST-certified must have passed a polygraph exam, the conditional offer is a way agencies can get around polygraphing someone who doesn't yet work for a government agency.

MikeNcali
09-08-06, 12:49 PM
Conditional offer means that is you pass everything. You'll have an employment slot saved for you. So they cant say , Ok we know you passed everything but we dont have a job opening for you. Without that offer, that's what they can say to you.

ngcsubutterbar
09-08-06, 12:55 PM
no, there is no guarentee that they will hire you.

Belmar75
09-08-06, 03:03 PM
From personal experience, there is NO guarantee they will hire you based on a conditional offer. And from what I have read on this forum, an official offer can be taken away as well.

Personally, I would play it safe until your are on the force and you have completed your probational period.

Nothing is ever a guarantee...

LostInAustin
09-08-06, 03:23 PM
Conditional offers exist basically because of various employment laws. An employer cannot give an applicant a medical exam, drug test, or psychological examination before offering them a job. This can also apply to certain parts of the background investigation, depending on state laws. Basically, a conditional offer is more of a legal requirement than anything else. Some agencies give them out earlier in the testing process than others.

Here, we give out our conditional offers before the psych exam and medical exam. Everything else has already been completed. That doesn't mean that everyone who has made it to that point in the process will get a conditional offer, though. While many applicants will pass the background and poly, only the most qualified are given conditional offers. What this means is that an applicant may technically pass all the steps in the hiring process that they can, however still isn't selected to move forward into the final stages.

I believe this to be the exact reason why conditional offers are given.

MikeNCali: In Austin and in many other jurisdictions conditional offers are given wayyyyyy before you pass all the tests.

Aota
09-08-06, 06:43 PM
In Austin and in many other jurisdictions conditional offers are given wayyyyyy before you pass all the tests.

When I tested for APD we signed the conditional offer on the same day that we took the written exam. That's about as early in the hiring process as it gets. I think the operative word here is conditional.

Roger Dat
09-08-06, 07:06 PM
Just remember dont count on anything until the day you receive your shield.

Taxx
09-08-06, 09:13 PM
Conditional offers are exactly what the other officers wrote ahead of me. Also, it may be a contractual conditional offer. This means that they are holding a spot for you (or when comes available) as long as you pass the remaining steps.

I understand many agencies are doing this because of the low applicant pool to choose from and the competition for qualified people. They don't want you to pass all of their tests that they paid for so that you go to another department. Which is silly, because most agencies will require you to take their tests. But some smaller agencies might bend rules in order to save the money.

ILikeCheescake
09-11-06, 05:11 PM
conditional offer evidently doesn't mean jack.

I got one, passed everything, plenty of opening in the classes, and got denied. Now I'm getting the feeling they are trying to deny my denial, haha. Mmm, what was that I read in the literature about integrity and honesty.

Bottom line, until you step foot on academy grounds the first day, I wouldn't count on anything. Even then, the background is 'an ongoing process', so to be safe, I wouldn't count on anything until you are off probation.

If this sounds a bit bitter, my bad. I would really hate for anyone to go through what I did. I have two big pet peeves, one is wasting my time, the other is giving me bad info that I make plans with. Yes, I know it's partially my fault relying on the info, but I figured when I get called an asked to go to the academy in six days, I can start planning. Call me unreasonable.