Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Question about Underage Drinking

JSM115
07-20-06, 05:16 PM
I'm going to apply next year when I graduate with my degree, and I had a question about underage drinking. I've never done any drugs, have a perfect credit history, and a clean criminal background. I have however like almost every other college student drank underage. Is this really that big of a deal? The way some people talk it seems like it so I wasn't really sure. I mean I could see if drinking underage led to problems such as disorderly conduct or something of that nature, but I also understand that it is still breaking the law. If someone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

TPDHellhound
07-20-06, 05:23 PM
I'm going to apply next year when I graduate with my degree, and I had a question about underage drinking. I've never done any drugs, have a perfect credit history, and a clean criminal background. I have however like almost every other college student drank underage. Is this really that big of a deal? The way some people talk it seems like it so I wasn't really sure. I mean I could see if drinking underage led to problems such as disorderly conduct or something of that nature, but I also understand that it is still breaking the law. If someone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Other criteria will be examined too (frequency, amount, location, etc)... but underage drinking usually isn't a DQ issue.

JSM115
07-20-06, 05:26 PM
I Know its not an automatic DQ, I guess I just thought it didn't really matter at all. I mean sometimes we went to the college bars other times we just sat around, and i'm not the "drink to get drunk type." I guess i'm just a little nervous, because I never would have done it if it was going to be even a slight issue. Everything else in my life is perfect I don't want to have a hard time getting a job because of something stupid like this.

TPDHellhound
07-20-06, 05:28 PM
You'll probably be fine...

I guess i'm just a little nervous, because I never would have done it if it was going to be even a slight issue. Everything else in my life is perfect I don't want to have a hard time getting a job because of something stupid like this.

If I had a dime for everytime I heard this.... :rolleyes:

JSM115
07-20-06, 05:29 PM
lmao I usually re-read things before I post. Shoulda though about that one twice.

lax854
07-20-06, 07:31 PM
lmao I usually re-read things before I post. Shoulda though about that one twice.
you know its funny, in todays world, most polygraphers think youre lying when you TELL them you have never drank underage! I read it all the time in posts. Lets face it, i just graduated college from one of the biggest party schools, so i understand the whole underage drinking thing. Ive done it and honestly can say its not worth it. Im 21 now and still wont really drink. I dont know how other departments with this. We all break the law sometimes, maybe going 2 miles over the speed limit maybe drinking at the age of 20. Its what you make of these incidents that makes who you are. Integrity is part of being a police officer. Everyone knows this. Integrity doesnt mean never doing a bad thing like "speeding" 2 miles per hour over the speed limit. It means fessing up to the things you have done in your past and showing them how you learned from these events. Thats how i perceive life and thats how i live my life. Everyone may not agree, but i believe people are generally good but we all make mistakes in our life.

wirble
07-20-06, 07:44 PM
I don't think they care whether you drank underage or not; atleast where I applied. The question doesn't even come up. What they do care about is whether you are an alcoholic or drink excessively or driving drunk or drink on the job. Drinking underage is a non-issue, atleast where I applied any way.

JSM115
07-20-06, 07:49 PM
you know its funny, in todays world, most polygraphers think youre lying when you TELL them you have never drank underage! I read it all the time in posts. Lets face it, i just graduated college from one of the biggest party schools, so i understand the whole underage drinking thing. Ive done it and honestly can say its not worth it. Im 21 now and still wont really drink. I dont know how other departments with this. We all break the law sometimes, maybe going 2 miles over the speed limit maybe drinking at the age of 20. Its what you make of these incidents that makes who you are. Integrity is part of being a police officer. Everyone knows this. Integrity doesnt mean never doing a bad thing like "speeding" 2 miles per hour over the speed limit. It means fessing up to the things you have done in your past and showing them how you learned from these events. Thats how i perceive life and thats how i live my life. Everyone may not agree, but i believe people are generally good but we all make mistakes in our life.

I totally agree with you on this statement. I go to Western Illinois, and understand the whole party school thing. I guess I just need to stay focused on the long term goal. You make the friends you make, and its so hard on a saturday night to say "I think i'll just stay in tonight" when they are all going out. I understand this is the life I chose, and must live with the things that acompany it. My dream is to be a police officer, and I believe up to this point I've lived my life pretty well. I can agree with you that drinking/partying is not worth the best job on this planet.

lax854
07-20-06, 08:02 PM
I totally agree with you on this statement. I go to Western Illinois, and understand the whole party school thing. I guess I just need to stay focused on the long term goal. You make the friends you make, and its so hard on a saturday night to say "I think i'll just stay in tonight" when they are all going out. I understand this is the life I chose, and must live with the things that acompany it. My dream is to be a police officer, and I believe up to this point I've lived my life pretty well. I can agree with you that drinking/partying is not worth the best job on this planet.
listen, im going to give you some sound advice here. I just recently got hired onto the nypd. I made a mistake in my life, and that was gettting into the party scene. Im happy that it hasnt effected my career choice. I told my invest. everything and basically it was dealing with a fake id. Listen, excuse my language, but screw what other people tell you to do. My junior year in college, i stayed in and got away from the drugs and drinking. I did not partake in the drugs ever, but i didnt want any smoke being in my system. Just buckle down, do your work, and it all pays off. We all make mistakes, just learn from them and always carry yourself with integrity. One more thing, listen to the LEO's on this site, they may not always give you the answer you want to hear, but they know what they are talking about. Im where i am today in the academy because of the advice they gave me!

JSM115
07-20-06, 08:30 PM
I tend to try and keep my mouth shut and take advice from all the people that have been through the process. Thanks for the advice, and thats what I plan to do. I'm a good student, and I realize I have only a year left before I can start the application process and finnish my degree. I can't wait to start going through the process, but until then i'm just going to focus on whatever I can do to further my chances. Thanks again

H.R. Cufnstuf
07-22-06, 01:00 PM
I went to college and never consumed underage :rolleyes: .

JSM115
07-23-06, 03:44 AM
I went to college and never consumed underage

Well you know when you go to a college of 15,000 people in a town of 3,000 people theres not much to do. I made some friends that like to drink and have a good time. I understand its against the law, and i'm not here to debate that. I just didn't feel like sitting in my dorm room for 4 years watching tv. Can I ask what college you went to? Also, honestly what did you do during those 4 years you were at school? I understand theres other things to do besides drink, but seriously in the town I went to there were the bars and nothing else. The campus closed down on fri night at 5 and that was it.

Roger Dat
07-23-06, 11:32 AM
I understand theres other things to do besides drink, but seriously in the town I went to there were the bars and nothing else. The campus closed down on fri night at 5 and that was it.

Contrary to popular belief it is possible to have fun and enjoy yourself without drinking. I went through all my HS and my years in college up to age 21 having a blast just hanging out with my friends. Not to mention if i felt the need to attend a party with friends I simply made the decision not to drink while I was there. Being the only sober one gives u many stories to tell later! lol:D

H.R. Cufnstuf
07-23-06, 03:26 PM
Well you know when you go to a college of 15,000 people in a town of 3,000 people theres not much to do. I made some friends that like to drink and have a good time. I understand its against the law, and i'm not here to debate that. I just didn't feel like sitting in my dorm room for 4 years watching tv. Can I ask what college you went to? Also, honestly what did you do during those 4 years you were at school? I understand theres other things to do besides drink, but seriously in the town I went to there were the bars and nothing else. The campus closed down on fri night at 5 and that was it.

I didn't say you're a horrible person because of it, i'm just saying that it's not proper to justify it the way you're trying to do so imo. Avoid the peer pressure and focus on your career. If you're bored, go study and it will pay off later.

I went to the College of William and Mary. We focused on academics and didn't have much of a party scene.

TPDHellhound
07-23-06, 03:41 PM
I don't think they care whether you drank underage or not; atleast where I applied. The question doesn't even come up. What they do care about is whether you are an alcoholic or drink excessively or driving drunk or drink on the job. Drinking underage is a non-issue, atleast where I applied any way.

It will come up....

:rolleyes:

JD45
07-23-06, 03:43 PM
It will come up....

:rolleyes:

Agreed.

JSM115
07-23-06, 05:13 PM
Contrary to popular belief it is possible to have fun and enjoy yourself without drinking. I went through all my HS and my years in college up to age 21 having a blast just hanging out with my friends. Not to mention if i felt the need to attend a party with friends I simply made the decision not to drink while I was there. Being the only sober one gives u many stories to tell later! lol

lol this is true. I understand what you mean, and I guess I just didn't realize it would have an effect on my future. I've stopped since, and realized its not worth it. Thanks for all the comments.

DontPullMeOver
07-24-06, 01:51 AM
yes but what about those guys who dont drink underage, or smoke marijuana. Personally I havent done either, nor plan to.

I know a majority of college kids drink, but it still doesn't make it right.

JSM115
07-24-06, 07:15 PM
It will come up....

I'm sure it will, and hopefully I haven't messed it up to much as it is. It seems to be the major factor in a lot of things is time. I'm 18, and I don't have anything else on my record. Hopefully by the time i'm 21/22 it will be enough time. I almost wished I went to a school like that. That brings up another question. WIU is one of the biggest LE schools in the country. My entire floor is LE majors. Do these people that go out drink every night, smoke weekly, and just generally act crazy even have a chance? I mean are there a lot of people that get their degrees and realize that it was all worth nothing?

lax854
07-24-06, 07:18 PM
I'm sure it will, and hopefully I haven't messed it up to much as it is. It seems to be the major factor in a lot of things is time. I'm 18, and I don't have anything else on my record. Hopefully by the time i'm 21/22 it will be enough time. I almost wished I went to a school like that. That brings up another question. WIU is one of the biggest LE schools in the country. My entire floor is LE majors. Do these people that go out drink every night, smoke weekly, and just generally act crazy even have a chance? I mean are there a lot of people that get their degrees and realize that it was all worth nothing?
depends on the agency man. listen youre really freaking out about nothing. What youve done, is in your past. Work on your future. You sound like you get a head on your shoulders, soo do something with your life man and in the end, it will pay off