Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

christinap
07-17-06, 01:17 AM
Im 17, almost 18, so does it even count? Does it matter that this has been going on since I was 14? I dont know what to do, I feel like my head was messed with but I dont know if anything is even valid. Please help

webjeep
07-17-06, 01:34 AM
It depends on the state where you live. In VA there is no statute of limitations on felonies. Contact your local PD and ask to speak with an investigator who works juvenile or sex crimes if they have one.

christinap
07-17-06, 01:38 AM
sorry, I live in CA by the way.

JD45
07-17-06, 01:58 AM
You're definately within the statute of limitations in CA

Bearcat06
07-17-06, 01:59 AM
You're definately within the statute of limitations in CA

I assume the consent age out there is 18...? In Missouri it's 17.....not sure what it is in the Commonwealth.....

christinap
07-17-06, 02:03 AM
But do I have to prove it? Does it even count because it was consentual?

Its very complicated, In December I skipped school one day and went to his house, and he started telling me he wanted to start a family with me and that he was the only one that loves me. I dont know if theres a point to that, but he told me he was going to hurt me if I left, so I stayed for 3 weeks. I dont know if that counts for anything, but Im just having a really hard time with this.

Bearcat06
07-17-06, 02:10 AM
But do I have to prove it? Does it even count because it was consentual?

Its very complicated, In December I skipped school one day and went to his house, and he started telling me he wanted to start a family with me and that he was the only one that loves me. I dont know if theres a point to that, but he told me he was going to hurt me if I left, so I stayed for 3 weeks. I dont know if that counts for anything, but Im just having a really hard time with this.

Ummmm....you need to get with your local PD/Sheriff's Dept. ASAP and talk to someone in the Sex Crimes Unit.......

christinap
07-17-06, 02:13 AM
I just dont want to try to do something about and then find out I cant do anything about it.

Bearcat06
07-17-06, 02:15 AM
I just dont want to try to do something about and then find out I cant do anything about it.

From what you are telling us here, you need to call a Local Law Enforcement Agency and talk to them.......as JD said.....you are well within the Statute of Limitations for CA.....

christinap
07-17-06, 02:16 AM
Wont they wonder why it took me so long to say anything?

Bearcat06
07-17-06, 02:19 AM
Wont they wonder why it took me so long to say anything?

Yes...but if you tell them the truth.....they will not have any issues with it....

You should also probably see a counselor......because you may have some issues later in life over this.....

christinap
07-17-06, 02:20 AM
okay, thank you so much.

tomahawk134
07-17-06, 02:34 AM
I would Encourage you to report this to your local law enforcement agency.

Law Enforcement should provide you information about where to go to speak with a Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence counselor to assist you.

JD45
07-17-06, 12:44 PM
I assume the consent age out there is 18...? In Missouri it's 17.....not sure what it is in the Commonwealth.....

Correct, it's 18 in CA.

But do I have to prove it? Does it even count because it was consentual?.

If you were a minor (under 18) when it happned and the suspect was over 18 it's a violation of 261.5 statutory rape. Keep in mind, there is some discretion when prosecuting these things. If you were 17 1/2 and the suspect was 18, odds are a DA (at least in my county) won't file charges on that for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you ran away for 3 weeks and stayed with this person? If so, I assume your parents reported you as a runaway? If they did, there will be a report on file with your local PD for the dates and further info.

Also sounds like there might be some other charges that need to be looked at.