Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Door to Door Solicitation Laws

xihua
07-15-06, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone. I'm currently visiting my parents right now and for some reason today, we have gotten non stop solicitation from annoying salesman at our door. I've tried closing the door on this one lady, but she placed her foot on the door and tried to convince me to buy a kirby vacum cleaner from her. Do you guys know if there are any laws prohibiting such harassment? I heard in Texas that solicitors need to notify residents 3 days advance before coming to your door. Thanks yall

P01IC3M4N
07-15-06, 11:08 PM
in Texas, you're supposed to have a gun for those instances when people place their foot in the door.

most cities have ordinances that require permits to be obtained before someone can solicit within the city limits. there is no state legislation though.

Piggy
07-15-06, 11:08 PM
I don't know about Texas law but I absolutely hate those friggin Kirby people. When I used to work for a small agency, I would get non-stop complaints about them everytime they came to town. I got to the point where I would just sit outside the house where they would go. I wasn't very good for business so they would finally move on.

P01IC3M4N
07-15-06, 11:14 PM
I don't know about Texas law but I absolutely hate those friggin Kirby people. When I used to work for a small agency, I would get non-stop complaints about them everytime they came to town. I got to the point where I would just sit outside the house where they would go. I wasn't very good for business so they would finally move on.

and who hasn't dealt with the bus load of ex-cons selling magazines? that's a free arrest right there.

xihua
07-15-06, 11:17 PM
I guess I will call the city and see if they have any ordinance on Monday. But if it happens again, I'll be sure to sic my dog Chow-Chow on them. Ferocious beast I must say haha.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/chopbrocoli/DSC01611.jpg

xihua
07-15-06, 11:26 PM
The worst salesperson I've ever gottten was a man trying to sell porkchops and bacon from his truck. I gotta say, he just wouldnt stop talking and at the end he just gave me this look and yelled at me. Seriously, do you think were going to buy meat from your broken down pickup truck with an old fridge installed in the back of the truck?

Twelve Volt Man
07-16-06, 12:50 AM
I've tried closing the door on this one lady, but she placed her foot on the door and tried to convince me to buy a kirby vacum cleaner from her.

That's when a well-placed punch to her ovary is in order.

CTUCop
07-16-06, 01:01 PM
Print a "No Soliciting" sign and post it by your door.

Something along the lines of:

No Soliciting

Pursuant to [your state's trespass law/statute],
this property is posted as a "No Soliciting" area.
Solicitors are forbidden.
Soliciting is forbidden.

Solicitors are defined as:
Any person selling any product;
Any person campaigning for any political candidate or political purposes;
Any person involved in any reglious activities;
[Add whatever else irks you]

Any persons violating this notice will be prosecuted under the penalties set forth in [repeat your state law/statute for trespass inculing statute number]

It helps keep the riff-raff away. And if it really bothers you, you can even call the police and have the person cited. Contrary to popular belief, your house is private property and people don't have the right to come to your door.

CTUCop
07-16-06, 01:10 PM
At least, it works in CT since our trespass statutes actually say:

Sec. 53a-109. Criminal trespass in the third degree: Class C misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so: (1) He enters or remains in premises which are posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, or which belong to the state and are appurtenant to any state institution; or (2) he enters or remains in any premises for the purpose of hunting, trapping or fishing.

(b) Criminal trespass in the third degree is a class C misdemeanor.

And the courts will up-hold the arrest. I know. :D

phantasm
07-16-06, 01:55 PM
if someone sticks their foot in my door, and it's a stranger, they may very quickly have a firearm pointed at them, or the door repeatedly slammed on their foot untli they leave. If they threaten lawsuit, I will press criminal charges, and will be able to articulate myself properly in my use of physical force to defend my property/dwelling.

ChesCopPodz
07-16-06, 03:28 PM
Here if the solicitor pays the fee and gets the county permit they can solicit to any house in the county, regardless if there are no solicitation signs.

samseed101
07-16-06, 11:20 PM
Here, if you do not want someone on your property, they can be warned for "Criminal Trespass." If they violate the warning and return, they get arrested.

Edited: They can get permits to sell here, but even with a permit they have to obey the laws and any Criminal Trespass warning they receive. The permit just allows them to sell to people who allow them on their property.

CTUCop
07-17-06, 12:22 AM
Here if the solicitor pays the fee and gets the county permit they can solicit to any house in the county, regardless if there are no solicitation signs.

That sounds weird! I guess I'll rethink VA as a retirement area. :D

I'm not exactly anti-social, but as retirement gets closer, I'm leaning that way pretty hard! ;)

ChesCopPodz
07-17-06, 01:33 AM
I should clarify. That was my last post before realizing I was late getting ready for work. The permit trumps the "No Solicitation" signs neighborhoods put up (and boy does that really tick them off). However if you tell a salesperson to leave and they don't, it's still good old fashioned tresspassing, their permit doesn't let them get away with that.

Legoate
07-17-06, 01:40 AM
I find that solicitors, and mormons, lose their desire to talk to you if you answer the door naked with a gun in your hand.

Not sure why. (warning: Does not deter Johovah's Witnesses)

MetPC
07-17-06, 10:55 AM
(warning: Does not deter Johovah's Witnesses)
LOL nothing does;)

CTUCop
07-22-06, 02:11 PM
LOL nothing does;)

Actually, I have a friend that meets them at the door and shows them his scars he has from a MC accident. He tells them:

"I can't join your club because I had several blood transfusions when I had this accident." :D

I guess that's a no-no, and they walk away.

But, you are right about them. I had just moved into a house and hadn't yet put my guns away. They were stacked all over the livingroom with boxes of ammo and such. I had done a last load to the house at the end of the day and was too tired to do much more then get the stuff out of the car.

They knocked the following morning. I told them that I was in the process of moving in, but I'd spare a few minutes...... I figured they'd walk in and see the weapons and get nervous. It didn't work. It took me about 1/2 hour to get them out of the house. I guess they aren't worried about sitting on a couch next to several rifles and shotguns.