Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Using your own car for patrol!!!

AFSNCO
07-08-06, 05:07 PM
I have been all over the world thanks to Uncle Sam and seen all kinds of patrol cars from Hyundai's in China to BMW's in Germany. However Hawaii has them all beat. After you have served a predetermined amount of time you can use your own personal vehicle for patrol. The Honolulu Police Department subsizes you like $450 a month and will set you up with a strobe light and siren as well as an MDT. They have a list of approved cars like Mustangs, Explorers, and Trailblazers, etc... They do have marked vehicles for transport and rookies and those that don't choose to use there own car. Has anyone heard if this anywhere else?

Mahalo
AFSNCO

phantasm
07-08-06, 05:43 PM
Never heard of it, and I sure dont' want to use my own car for patrol. lol. I'd rather use a dept crown vic. 450 = 5400/year. Patrol cars don't last (at least not in NYC).

chaser
07-08-06, 06:28 PM
Here they have a few Constables left that have to furnish the vehicle themselves. I never knew if they got paid or not now that I think about it.

Mike925
07-08-06, 06:55 PM
I own a 2006 Dodge Magnum and have seen them used as police cars--both marked and slick. I would love to drive one on patrol.

danninator
07-08-06, 07:27 PM
450/month thats more than my car payment. I'll buy a second ford ranger subsidized to patrol.

Bearcat06
07-08-06, 08:09 PM
Never heard of it, and I sure dont' want to use my own car for patrol. lol. I'd rather use a dept crown vic. 450 = 5400/year. Patrol cars don't last (at least not in NYC).

Actually, it's a pretty sweet deal. They are allowed to purchase a care off of a list of acceptable vehicles.....they make the payment, pay for gas, and cover you under their insurance policy.

You can use the vehicle on and off-duty....but you must respond to emergencies if called.....and must be armed and have your creds on at all times when you are in the vehicle.

They justify doing this by saying the subsidized vehicles have a longer life span because officers think of the vehicles as their own....and take better care of them.

When I was stationed in Hawaii back in the late 80s/early 90s, the ride of choice was the Monte Carlo SS.....:D

When I was out there on vacation two years ago....the ride of choice seems to be SUVs.....but as AFSNCO stated, you will see Mustangs, CVs, and even a Toyota/Nissan/Honda family style car......and yes, those can be some sneaky SOBs when they are out and about working traffic......

corporal716
07-08-06, 08:33 PM
I just got back from Hawaii two days ago. I saw several Mustangs and other family cars while on the north side of the island. I wasn't sure it they were local or state.

Bearcat06
07-08-06, 10:00 PM
I just got back from Hawaii two days ago. I saw several Mustangs and other family cars while on the north side of the island. I wasn't sure it they were local or state.

Local. The Island of Oahu has only one Agency for the entire Island.....the City and County of Honoulu Police Dept.....

Each Island has it's on City/County Agency.....

The entire chain has a State Wide Sheriff's Dept...

There is no "State Police...."

Nor is there a "5-0" but they do get calls/letters/emails for them all the time....:D