Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

DJ_MENTOS
08-21-03, 03:21 PM
We were at the beach the other day, and my friend gave us a ride in the back of her truck. We never left the beach parking lot!

But when she made a left-hand turn to drop us off (in the parking lot mind you) a cop was right there. He stopped us, made us get out of the back and leave, and gave her a ticket.

Is that ticket valid? He says its a highway, but its the beach parking lot!

By the way, this was at Bolsa Chica Beach in Southern California.

Your thoughts?

jeff92k7
08-21-03, 03:59 PM
Don't know about California but here in Texas it is illegal if you are under 18. I imagine California is similar.

jmill79
08-21-03, 04:03 PM
Wouldnt the new mandatory seat belt laws kinda put a kink in this anyway? (here in Illinois anyway)

zander_zye
08-21-03, 04:11 PM
It is illegal for anyone regardless of age to ride in the back of a pickup truck in CA. (what happened to all of the fun?)

Orleander
08-21-03, 04:32 PM
Here in Michigan you can't even have your pet in the back unless you have a topper on your truck or some other restraint. And the seat-belt law took care of the people riding in the back. Illegal for all ages.

I do wonder what a cop would do if you bolted a seat back there with a seatbelt. Or put your dog in a car seat back there. lol

Lfpdlieu302
08-21-03, 05:08 PM
here's a stupid one, in arkansas, you can ride in the back of a truck, you just cant ride on the wheelwells (the humped up part), go figure!

Stump
08-21-03, 05:30 PM
Gawd, I remember all those times when I was a mere sapling, and not the old stump that I am, riding around in Nonno's blue pickup truck with my two brothers and 3 cousins. That was so much fun!!! We never got in trouble for it - of course that was 20+ years ago....
What was the actual ticket for? What violation does it say?

Suomi54
08-21-03, 07:57 PM
Here in Iowa you can ride anywhere "persons or cargo may be carried." The only restriction would be with child restraint laws, so children under 6 would have to be in the cab, belted or in a child seat. Otherwise, it is completely lawful to be an organ donor in the back.

mcsap
08-21-03, 08:00 PM
IN PA under 18 can't ride at all , over 18 up to 35 mph max.

Dan
08-21-03, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Orleander

I do wonder what a cop would do if you bolted a seat back there with a seatbelt. Or put your dog in a car seat back there. lol

A friend of mine had a old 80s F150 with a bench seat bolted in back, I rode in the back all the time with no trouble from the local LEOs

mcsap
08-21-03, 08:28 PM
MIssed the organ donor crack the first time. LOL I would add to that potential whole blood recipient. This must be the reason that I go donate every two months.

EricTheBald
08-21-03, 09:03 PM
Go to your local law library and look up the law. It's on the ticket.

Also read through the entire book on anything even remotely related to what the ticket is for. You'd be amazed at what you come across.

codered51
08-21-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Orleander
Here in Michigan you can't even have your pet in the back unless you have a topper on your truck or some other restraint. And the seat-belt law took care of the people riding in the back. Illegal for all ages.

Hey, another Michigander!! :D

Orleander, you must be from down state Michigan, er, something. Either that or our local law enforcement is mighty lax. :p Here in the small town of the U P where I live, I see dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks all the time. Once, I even saw one dog in the back where there was barely room for him to stand without having to stand on the junk that was in the back.

Personally, I think that's kinda crazy as well as careless on the owners part, but oh well, that's me. :)

sparrow803
08-21-03, 09:42 PM
Woo Hoo - Suomi54 is from Iowa too! Hi!

txinvestigator1
08-21-03, 10:09 PM
In Texas a beach is a public roadway.

gdowkpc
08-21-03, 10:19 PM
I grew up in California and don't ever remember it being legal to ride in the bed of a pick-up (atleast for kids).

In Oregon, nobody can ride in the back of a pick-up unless all other available seats and seatbelts are in use.

Orleander
08-22-03, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by codered51
Hey, another Michigander!! :D

Orleander, you must be from down state Michigan, er, something. Either that or our local law enforcement is mighty lax. :p Here in the small town of the U P where I live, I see dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks all the time. Once, I even saw one dog in the back where there was barely room for him to stand without having to stand on the junk that was in the back.

Personally, I think that's kinda crazy as well as careless on the owners part, but oh well, that's me. :)

Yeah, I'm in the lower part where there are actually people. lol I think they enforce the law more because dogs have jumped out and bit people. Also if you are in an accident, which is more likely since we have actual roads (lol) and the animal gets hurt they can also file 'cruelty to animal' charges against you.
I think the main reason is more people = more whiners = more lawsuits.