Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

TIMMYDOME
05-14-06, 05:08 PM

guardianSJ
05-14-06, 05:26 PM
I can't say for sure, because I've never seen a psychiatrist and have therefore never been in that position. I think it all depends on how long ago, the reason you saw him/her, and the results. In the processes I have gone through, they have inquired prior to the psych evaluation but I don't believe it would be an automatic DQ. And, as with many things, it also depends on the agency.

1depd
05-14-06, 06:27 PM
It depends on the situation. If you were dagnosed with a mental disorder then maybe. If you were just attempting to better understand yourself then probably not. The only question I had on my application concerning a shrink was if I had been daignosed with a mental illness.

TPDHellhound
05-14-06, 06:44 PM
I saw a psychologist for about a month. But I got in trouble because I was also seeing a cheerleader and a nurse. And twins, but that was only for a week or two.... hubba hubba! :D

Big_Montana
05-14-06, 06:48 PM
again like everyone said depends on the situation, my Mom died when i was 21, i was strongly encouraged to go see a psyciatrist, never did, but i'm VERY sure that this would not be a problem.
also there are a lot of situations that happen in police work where your commanders ORDER you to go see a psyciatrist so obviously there are situations where it's okay and even expected.

-RJ

phantasm
05-15-06, 12:42 AM
Auto DQ? no. Depends on the situation.

chiefhuntr
05-15-06, 07:23 AM
I lost a child (18 month old) and my department sent my wife and i to see a Dr for several sessions. The Dept felt that I would be better off if I went then if I did not.

As it was stated before, if you went because you were suicidal or something, good luck. If you went and it helped. I would say you are fine. ;)

Kimble
05-15-06, 09:32 AM
Auto DQ? no. Depends on the situation.

Exactly. I saw a shrink for what was believed to be ADD (but turned out to be bad study habits). Giving kids Ritalin/Adderall was very common in the early 90's as a way to "help kids do good in school." :rolleyes:

Ritalin/Adderall did nothing beneficial for me, and I've disclosed this to all LE agencies I've applied to. So far, I've only had a problem with the US Coast Guard (long story I won't go into here), as all other LE agencies have seen it as a non-issue since ADD isn't something that currently hinders my abilities.

james13f
05-15-06, 01:48 PM
Giving kids Ritalin/Adderall was very common in the early 90's as a way to "help kids do good in school." :rolleyes:

Ritalin/Adderall did nothing beneficial for me, and I've disclosed this to all LE agencies I've applied to. So far, I've only had a problem with the US Coast Guard.

My wife still suffers from after effects of being on Ritalin for years and not needing it.

Unfortunately, prior diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and use of Ritalin (even prescribed) is an automatic DQ for military service. So is most cases with a history of asthma (even if the last sign of it was years ago), Epilepsy and many other things.

Of course, you can 'forget' to mention them on the medical history form. I know I did when I first enlisted, as did many people I served with. I can say it was an immature desicion (I was 17), but I can't say that I regret it, because I never would have been allowed to serve otherwise.

At our department, seeing a psychologist, counselor or psychiatrist is not an automatic DQ. It depends on why you went. I'm currently in marraige counseling with my wife, that wouldn't be a DQ. If I was in counseling for severe PTSD, or depression, that might DQ me. Like most have said before, it depends on the situation/department.

Kimble
05-15-06, 01:55 PM
Of course, you can 'forget' to mention them on the medical history form. I know I did when I first enlisted, as did many people I served with. I can say it was an immature desicion (I was 17), but I can't say that I regret it, because I never would have been allowed to serve otherwise.

I was applying for OCS, which means I would have had to obtain a Secret Clearance or higher. "Forgetting" or otherwise lying about my medical background was not (nor should it ever be for anyone) a vialble option, as the background investigation (which your average enlisted Armed Services member will not undergo for many entry positions) could have easily found info showing my diagnosis.

Lying (or conveniently "forgetting") is never a wise option to choose. You never know when it could bit you in the @$$, and you still don't know if it ever will with future employers who will do a BI on you.

james13f
05-15-06, 02:03 PM
I hold a Secret clearance and have talked with people who hold TS with SCI who were not completely honest in their medical history.

Like I stated before, it was an immature desicion, but I can't honestly say that I regret it. Even if it does bite me in the butt, I would've never served in Iraq had I not done what I did.

My department found out about it on the pre-poly questionaire, and seemed to have no qualms about it. From what I'm told we go through the same BI as the sworn positions do. Not to say that some departments wouldn't have qualms about it.

You have wise words for anyone considering doing it: don't.

It isn't as big a risk as most who never were in the military think, or as big of a deal as MEPS made it out to be. But I won't get into that debate here, I wouldn't want to encourage anyone on the subject.

Ruh
05-15-06, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately, prior diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and use of Ritalin (even prescribed) is an automatic DQ for military service. So is most cases with a history of asthma (even if the last sign of it was years ago), Epilepsy and many other things.

While I have never been in the military, I just wanted to ask if you were sure about this? I have a friend who works for Military Intel in the Army and has secret clearance etc. He was (or is) on Ritalin and had been for while when we were in HS together. I know for a fact he has ADD cause I have been left hanging on the phone when he got distracted lol.

Then again, like you said some people can "forget" to mention it and I am not sure if he did.

Bearcat06
05-15-06, 03:46 PM

:rolleyes:

This comes from someone that thought that several of us that either did or thought about AWOLing out of ****ty units was unprofessional.....

Last time I checked.....Fruadulent Enlistement was a violation of the UCMJ....

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj2.htm#883.%20ART.%2083.%20FRAUDULENT%20ENLISTM ENT,%20APPOINTMENT,%20OR%20SEPARATION

mobrien316
05-15-06, 06:52 PM
Does ever seeing a psychiatrist in oneís life cause a disqualification for a police department during the hiring process?
In Connecticut if you have been admitted to a psychiatric hospital by order of a probate court in the previous twelve months you cannot legally possess a firearm.

If that's the case you absolutely cannot be a cop in Connecticut.

If it was longer than twelve months ago you would most likely still be DQ'd.

If it was simply seeing a therapist by appointment then I cannot imagine it would cause a problem with any agency.

We've had psychologists attend a few of our debriefing sessions after certain critical incidents. Getting counseling as a police officer is not seen as a negative by anyone I know.

james13f
05-15-06, 08:22 PM
Ruh - That was how it was when I enlisted in 2001. A couple of my friends were told "no" due ONLY to prior diagnosis of ADD/ADHD. It might have changed, or perhaps now it is case-by-case.

Bearcat - That from someone who came close to AWOLing out before, but now is thinking about joining back up? :rolleyes:

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 10:24 PM

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 10:33 PM

B'ham FAL
05-15-06, 10:36 PM
don't tell anyone but my dept sent me to a shrink BEFORE they hired me, so it isn't an automatic DQ. I reckon they just wanted to be sure.....'course I'm not sure if they wanted to verify if I was nuts or sane but whichever the case they got the answer we both wanted and I got a conditional hire.

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 10:40 PM

lax854
05-15-06, 10:43 PM
Also, I have been OCD free for about three years now. When I take the written psychological evaluation for the NYPD, if nothing comes up and no red flags are drawn would there be a problem? If I pass their psychological evaluation, there should be no cause for concern, right?
well yes there will be a problem with the nypd. It might not get you DQ'd, but it probably will get you under review. The nypd psych written probably wont be a problem, but during the oral interview, you will need to disclose that you have seen a therapist and if you were diagnosed with OCD, you certainly will be put under review untill your doctor sends in the necessary forms saying you were cleared. Then if everything goes well, you should be cleared. Its a tough situation, you have nothing to lose so good luck!

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 11:21 PM

lax854
05-15-06, 11:24 PM
Would it help if I went back to my therapist now, and asked them to re-evaluate me and write me a letter saying that I am cleared? So that I can bring it with me to the oral psychological review?
i would certainly get the letter saying you are cleared. You sound really nervous and I do feel for you. I was the same way going into my NYPD oral psych. To tell you the truth, the past is the past and there is nothing you can do change that. But, as long as you got your heart in the right place, youll do fine. Even if you dont make the NYPD, there are plenty of agencies out there! i wish you the best of luck!

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 11:33 PM

lax854
05-15-06, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. Do you think if I bring the cleared forms to the interview, I would still be put on review?
honestly i wish i could answer that but i really have no idea. I took the oral psych back in March and had no problem with it. I was arrested once for fake id and it wasnt even a big deal to my guy. I have never been to therapy and have never done drugs etc. My friend who had seen a therapist when he was younger for ADHD was put on review in November and still is on review. It really alll depends on the circumstances. Believe me, dont let this be discouraging to you at all. Go in there and prove to the guy or girl you deserve to be on the job. Everyone goes through some rough times in their life, im sure youll be fine!

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 11:42 PM

lax854
05-15-06, 11:45 PM
I know what I am talking about is not really a big deal as far as getting hired. And people with more major psychological problems in the past have been hired. I just get worried because I donít know how picky the NYPD will be about this type of thing. I think if I pass the psych. evaluation, and my doctor says that I am cleared I will be fine. This is all over the fact that I kept my bedroom very neat. Itís not like I burned down houses because I thought little green men were telling me to.
just relax, you are going to get yourself too hyped up over it. Honestly, the NYPD application process with regards to the pysch has been pretty good at weeeding out people that are not fit for the job. Atleast from my perspective, the people I know that got in deserved to and my friends who were put on review seemed like individuals who would not be able to handle the job. Youll do fine as long as you are relaxed and just tell the truth

TIMMYDOME
05-15-06, 11:49 PM

TIMMYDOME
05-16-06, 11:44 PM

james13f
05-17-06, 12:06 AM
::sigh:: I want you to re-read the last question you posted, and while reading it think about the position you are applying for. :rolleyes:

TIMMYDOME
05-17-06, 12:10 AM

Valor55
05-17-06, 12:22 AM
Lying and/or deception will disqualify you forever from a law enforcement position.

What you described does not sound like it would DQ you. At worst they may want to see you go a few more years without any problems before hiring you.

So what will it be? Risk a permanent DQ or play the odds that this isn't going to hurt you? Even if you have to wait until you are 25 that's at least sooner than a permanent DQ.

TIMMYDOME
05-17-06, 12:34 AM

3/4
05-17-06, 12:54 AM
I thought that medical files are sealed, and permission must be given for a person to see them.

They made me sign a waiver saying that I gave them permission to get any and all records that they wanted that pertained to me. It specifically mentioned psychiatric institutions, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other things of the sort on it.

TIMMYDOME
05-17-06, 12:56 AM

james13f
05-17-06, 12:59 AM
What are the chances that this will have no effect on me getting hired, and that I will go through processing as normal?

It all depends on the agency, their policies, etc. etc.

I would think any agency would seriously look into any Psychiatric diagnosis, now what they decide about that diagnosis is going to depend on the agency. Try, try and try again until you get where you want to be.

mobrien316
05-17-06, 02:41 AM
When they ask you for background information, they expect you to provide all the information they ask for, not just the stuff you think they will find anyway.

Kimble
05-17-06, 09:35 AM
I thought that medical files are sealed, and permission must be given for a person to see them.

You give them permission when you sign your release forms for your background investigation. But by all means, go ahead an lie to them. It's not like LE is a career field where deception can ruin you. :rolleyes:

Valor55
05-17-06, 10:40 AM
What are the chances that this will have no effect on me getting hired, and that I will go through processing as normal?
None of us can sit here and tell you that you will definitely get hired or you definitely won't. Stop fishing for it. We don't know.

The divorce rate in this country is astronomical and I'm sure lots of children end up in therapy because of it. Cops do not all come from the Cleaver household, I'm sure more than a few have gone through what you did.

You may be asked by the agency you are applying to, to go see another shrink and get a new and current diagnosis.

When I was a baby, born in another country, I got a tuberculosis vaccine that was no longer used in the US. My TB skin test will always show a positive reaction. During my medical this came up and I had to take chest x-rays to my own doctor and get a diagnosis that I was clear of TB. I took that back to the department and it was the end of the problem. You may have to do something similar with your OCD diagnosis.

I can't imagine this always disqualifying you. At worst they may DQ you now and you have to wait a couple more years to show you have remained free of OCD or any other negative psych issues for another couple years.

None of us however can tell you 100% because we just don't know. One agency may decide to never hire you and another one may not care at all. The only way you'll know is to try. When you apply just be honest, you have nothing to hide. Apply to multiple agencies to increase your chances and take the first job offered.

TIMMYDOME
05-17-06, 10:48 AM

lax854
05-17-06, 12:41 PM
I am going to be up front about it. I plan on disclosing all information they ask me for. I know that lying is an automatic DQ. Besides from what I have heard and read, my situation will most likely not prevent me from becoming a LEO. I have no criminal record, all I have on my driving record is two moving violations, I am a good student, I am in good shape etc. I think that in the long run, this little thing will not eclipse the good qualities I possess.
you need to relax man! youre getting a very bad rep on this site! its ok to ask questions, but you cant consistently keep asking people a question that we have no idea what the answer is going to be. Youll be fine if you relax and tell the truth. Honestly, i went through the same thought process as you did and thought i was going to be put on review for the stupidest things. And guess what, i wasnt because i went in relaxed! dont worry so much, the worse thing that happens is they say your not what we are looking for in a candidate for the NYPD, so you go somewhere else where they will want you! good luck!

TIMMYDOME
05-18-06, 11:19 PM