Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Left turn on a red light

chicknlil
04-26-06, 10:48 PM
I need to know if this is legal. Here is the scenario:

Let's suppose I am traveling northbound on Main Street. I stop at the red traffic light at the intersection. Let's call this intersection 5th Ave.

5th Ave is a westbound one-way-only street.

I need to make a left turn onto 5th Ave. Is it legal to make this left turn on a red light onto a one-way street?

And for those with a suspicious mind... NO, I did not get pulled over or cited (if this is an infraction) and trying to beat the rap. ;)

Thank you.

gabe a.
04-26-06, 11:04 PM
Depends on where you are and that municipalities traffic code, but here, unless it's posted otherwise, it is legal to turn left from a one-way to another one way.

Welpe
04-26-06, 11:17 PM
Depends on where you are and that municipalities traffic code, but here, unless it's posted otherwise, it is legal to turn left from a one-way to another one way.

Same in CA.

chicknlil
04-26-06, 11:25 PM

In Florida.

What if we suppose that Main Street is a two-way street? Is that still legal, at least wherever you're at?

Ironhead
04-26-06, 11:25 PM
Let's suppose I am traveling northbound on Main Street. I stop at the red traffic light at the intersection. Let's call this intersection 5th Ave.

5th Ave is a westbound one-way-only street.

I need to make a left turn onto 5th Ave. Is it legal to make this left turn on a red light onto a one-way street?
From a one-way .... left onto a one-way is often legal.

If "Main Street" has both a northbound lane and a southbound lane, by turning left onto "5th Ave" you cross a lane of travel (even though it should be stopped by the red light) I can think of no jurisdiction where this is a legal maneuver unless Main is a one-way that only runs north.

chicknlil
04-26-06, 11:29 PM
From a one-way .... left onto a one-way is often legal.

If "Main Street" has both a northbound lane and a southbound lane, by turning left onto "5th Ave" you cross a lane of travel (even though it should be stopped by the red light) I can think of no jurisdiction where this is a legal maneuver unless Main is a one-way that only runs north.

Oops. Please ignore the previous post. I asked the second question ten seconds too soon. Ironhead has answered it.

Thanks, everyone!

squeeeg
04-26-06, 11:34 PM
I have that same situation in my city. There are many places downtown that are one way to one way. There is no problem turning on red there. There are other places that are a two way street turning onto a one way(and vica versa). These streets it is not legal to make a left on red.

mcsap
04-27-06, 05:48 AM
Left turn on red from a one way to another one way is ok here.

KaiGywer
04-27-06, 08:37 AM
Same in Minnesota. One way to one way is legal. Good where I live, half the town is one ways.

retdetsgt
04-27-06, 05:51 PM
In Oregon, you can also turn left from a two way onto a one way on a red.

Mike Romeo
04-27-06, 07:24 PM
Well, in Virginia....

46.2-836. Left turn on steady red after stopping.

Notwithstanding the provisions of 46.2-833, except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal on a one-way highway, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a left turn onto another one-way highway.

Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.

Joeyd6
04-27-06, 09:33 PM
In NYC, if you are on a one-way, and there is a red light, after stopping, you can make a left on red, IF IT IS ONTO ANOTHER ONE-WAY STREET!

Belmar75
04-28-06, 01:49 AM
Just came back from O'ahu, Hawaii..

You can not make a left turn on red onto a one-way. It's posted everywhere. Most of their streets are one-ways. Annoying as hell!

chicknlil
04-28-06, 11:58 AM
Lots of interesting replies. It's a good thing I asked. Yesterday, I told a friend that you can make a left turn on a red light from a one-way street onto another one-way street, unless otherwise posted. My friend responded that a motorist can also make a left turn from a two-way street onto a one-way. She added that she has done this many times.

I told her that I had asked about it on this forum and the majority of you BONAFIDE REAL OFFICERS said that if you had caught her, you guys would bust her chop for it. This was her face when I told her: :eek:

Big_Montana
04-28-06, 03:02 PM
what is a one way street? i know what one lane roads are, the ones where someone has to pull off the road to let oncomming traffic pass, but a one way street?

Just kidding...sort of...

-RJ

Big_Montana
04-28-06, 03:09 PM
Just came back from O'ahu, Hawaii..

You can not make a left turn on red onto a one-way. It's posted everywhere. Most of their streets are one-ways. Annoying as hell!

lived there for 2 years (Honolulu), you can't sneze wrong in Waikiki without getting pulled over...i once got pulled over for my passenger (some drunk chick i just picked up on my motorcycle), failing to keep her feet on the rear foot pegs...talk about player hating.

while my new passenger wandered off i got a ticket and a long lecture about how since i had temporary plates (on a new motorcycle) that i shouldn't be picking up passengers until i've been riding my motorcyle for at least two months...(i'd been riding motorcycles for 4 years at that point).

and yes i know what your thinking cause i'm a cop too, there had to be something more to that story, nope...

-RJ

Ken K
04-28-06, 03:20 PM
Can't believe this thread is still going!

In Iowa, take a south bound 3 lane one-way with arrows indicating a left turn lane only, and the center lane has two arrows, for straight or left turn. It of course intersects with a three lane east bound one-way.

Can you turn left from that center lane into the center lane of the east bound?

The code states you will make a left turn on red only from the farthest left lane of a one-way into the left most lane of the other street. People turn from the center lane all the time into the other center lane and technically it is a cite for that. Don't know anyone who has cited for it but we could do it.

321.257 Official traffic control signal.

a. A "steady circular red" light means vehicular traffic shall stop. Vehicular traffic shall remain standing until a signal to proceed is shown or vehicular traffic, unless prohibited by a sign, may cautiously enter the intersection to make a right turn from the right lane of traffic or a left turn from a one-way street to a one-way street from the left lane of traffic on a one-way street onto the leftmost lane of traffic on a one-way street.

Odin
04-28-06, 05:17 PM
In Oregon, you can also turn left from a two way onto a one way on a red.

Really? That would put the left turn driver crossing oncoming traffic lanes against a red light, wouldn't it? Seems like a good way to have a collision.

Ironhead
04-29-06, 07:26 AM
Really? That would put the left turn driver crossing oncoming traffic lanes against a red light, wouldn't it? Seems like a good way to have a collision.It would - but the on-coming traffic should be stopped by a red light as well. Then the only thing you have to deal with is the right-of-way issue when a person on either side of the intersection wants to turn onto the one way street. One would be making a left turn on red - the other a right turn on red. I would have to give the right-of-way to the vehicle making a right turn.

Odin
04-29-06, 02:35 PM
It would - but the on-coming traffic should be stopped by a red light as well. Then the only thing you have to deal with is the right-of-way issue when a person on either side of the intersection wants to turn onto the one way street. One would be making a left turn on red - the other a right turn on red. I would have to give the right-of-way to the vehicle making a right turn.

I see. In Texas we frequently have 2-way traffic lights where let's say the north bound traffic has a red light but the south bound traffic has a green light. They do this presumably to allow one direction of traffic the chance to make a turn without fighting oncoming traffic, but if someone turned left against the red it would be possible that the oncoming traffic had a green light in that scenario.

We also have some intersections where you cannot turn right on red, but those intersections are marked with a sign.

RemyG
07-15-06, 01:45 AM
I believe the general guideline for turns on red are: Once you come to a complete stop, you may cautiously proceed on your turn only if you are not crossing any lanes of oncoming/opposite traffic lanes. I could always be wrong, so correct me if I am.

Still with me? It makes sense in my head at least :D

RT302
07-15-06, 02:39 AM
I believe the general guideline for turns on red are: Once you come to a complete stop, you may cautiously proceed on your turn only if you are not crossing any lanes of oncoming/opposite traffic lanes. I could always be wrong, so correct me if I am.

Still with me? It makes sense in my head at least :D

After two pages of explanation and 2.5 months of thread inactivity, yes, you get it...., FINALLY. As explained by all of these officers from across the country, (unless you are in Oregon or Hawaii), you may make a left on red from a one way to a one way, after a stop. Different rules may apply in aforementioned states.

I now see why you are packing so much red....:rolleyes:

Bearcat06
07-15-06, 03:03 AM

Still with me? It makes sense in my head at least

Second old thread you have brought up this morning......:rolleyes:

Hockey9019
07-15-06, 12:42 PM
Second old thread you have brought up this morning......:rolleyes:
Lol Im thinking someones banning or temp banning will be coming soon...

I'll post this regarding the question: In Michigan, you can turn from a 2 way street to a 1 way street with due regard to all. You can turn from a 1 way to a 1 way also. It's very strange doing it but it is legal here. :D

Fourthnorth
08-02-06, 11:54 PM
In Virginia, it is legal to make a left on red if you are going FROM a one way street onto another one way street. The key here is, BOTH streets must be one-way streets.

mcsap
08-03-06, 06:19 AM
This thead has made an illegal turn on red.