Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : florida highway patrol

wolve
07-17-03, 05:30 PM
I was just curious if anyone here on the board has ever processed with them or know anyone who is a Trooper. I just wanted information on stuff such as the academy, what is the average a recruit must obtain to graduate.

What ive come to conclude is that yes they do need alot of troopers. However they hire less than what they could. Most lawenforcement agencies would not survive if they hired less than what they could. I give fhp credit on that

Lastly does anyone know how many applicants they usually process for 1 opening.

Bradleyadleo
07-18-03, 03:39 PM
You should contact a following recruiter:

Trooper Josepha Sims
Troop D
133 S. Semoran Blvd.
Orlando, Florida 32807
Office Phone #: (407) 737-2300 ext. 1037
Fax #: (407) 737-2350

Trooper Gary Dunick
Troop E
3439 South Roosevelt Blvd
Key West, Florida 33040
Office Phone #: (305) 470-2510 ext. 5309
Fax #: (305) 292-6842

Trooper Sevine Williams Jr.
Troop L
1299 West Lantana Road
Lantana, Florida 33465
Office Phone #: (561) 540-5605
Fax #: (561) 540-1168

Trooper Linda Popanz
Troop F
4000 S. Tamiami Trail
Venice, Florida 34293
Office Phone #: (941) 483-5911 # 105 or 310
Fax #: (941) 483-5916

Corporal Ben Glass
Troop A & H
197 East James Lee Blvd.
Crestview, Florida 32536
Office Phone #: (850) 689-7906
Voice mail (850) 689-9956
Fax #: (850) 689-7873

or e-mail: FHPCareers@hsmv.state.fl.us

I hope you find this information to be helpful.

Rad Diver
07-18-03, 11:32 PM
They are hiring! They came to our job fair in May 2003. I believe the academy is 10 weeks. It is a boot camp type set-up with weekends off. DOT is 8 weeks.

Follow Bradleyadleo's lead on recruiters. Then maybe in a few months you will have your black & tan camaro and tan uniform!

Good luck!!!

wolve
07-19-03, 01:22 PM
this is just an opinion, I am preety sure that the florida highway patrol is probably the toughest state lawenforcement agency in the country to get into. Im sure most in the board might tend to agree

scan
07-20-03, 02:00 PM
I know Troop D(my area) desperately need people.

zander_zye
07-20-03, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by wolve
this is just an opinion, I am preety sure that the florida highway patrol is probably the toughest state lawenforcement agency in the country to get into. Im sure most in the board might tend to agree

I doubt this is true - but to each is own as far as opinions.

Why would we tend to agree? Do you know every departments standards through the United States, Canada, and the UK?

07-22-03, 06:28 AM
I'm afraid I disagree also. Even if you stick to the state area, the NJSP and Mass. SP are notoriously difficult to get hired on with, the latter especially. If you go local, there are dozens of depts which require a 4 yr degree as a minimum. FHP does not. LAPD are a tough dept to get on with also.

Stump
07-22-03, 11:41 AM
I will have to throw my hat in too - I disagree with wolve.
It may be difficult to get into, but not any more so than other statie positions.
I think their academy length is a piece of cake compared to other academies. :D

scan
07-22-03, 01:12 PM
Their academy is military style.

Wick
07-22-03, 05:35 PM
My two cents, and just a personal opinion . . .

I have dealt with FHP in various situations as an attorney representing troopers either before PERC or the FDLE. I have found that the powers that be in the FHP have been vindictive, retaliatory and vehemently against giving equal rights to all citizens. Specifically, I came across discrimination against African Americans, the likes of which is unheard of anymore. I'm talking about racism against its own troopers, not necessarily against a minority citizen population.

My experiences with FHP were extremely troubling to me. I've seen very good men have their careers destroyed by the upper management of FHP, simply because of the color of their skin. I can't get into details, but lets just say that some men who spoke up about racial inequities on the force (whether these were real or imagined inequities) paid a severe price in retaliation for having voiced their concerns.

These are, of course, just my experiences with an entity that is extremely large. It could very well be that I had the misfortune of coming across the few bad apples in the barrel.

wolve
07-26-03, 11:49 PM
Thanks to all that responded to my post, I think i may have a problem sending my application but im not sure. I recently got my derivers permit, I do not know if FHP will take my application being that i only have a permit at this time. I had downloaded the fhp application and ready to send it. Hopefully someone knows if i can still apply being that at this moment i only have the permit. hope to hear soon

mcsap
07-27-03, 04:08 AM
In PA, our academy is 5 months.

hawkman
08-01-03, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by mcsap
In PA, our academy is 5 months.

Kansas HP... 22 weeks of military style boot camp. Very good academy though! Hopefully I'm in the next class this January.

Regular academy for S.Os and PDs is 15 weeks.

hawkman
08-01-03, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by wolve
Thanks to all that responded to my post, I think i may have a problem sending my application but im not sure. I recently got my derivers permit, I do not know if FHP will take my application being that i only have a permit at this time. I had downloaded the fhp application and ready to send it. Hopefully someone knows if i can still apply being that at this moment i only have the permit. hope to hear soon

How old are you that you only have a permit? Or is this as a result of a halfass DL suspension that allows you to go to work or school but no were else?

darrell
08-02-03, 01:08 AM
I need to correct the academy legenth of the FHP I received a packet and it is 20 + weeks long. Tough not really, recruiter said its easier then the pay as you go academies but harder to get into.

It isnt hard till you have a swim for life after running up and down stairs tread water for 20+ minutes and drag a mental to the edge of a pool while he is fighting you, and a graduation run that is 10 miles long... LOL GO Varsity Club MSP.

wolve
08-05-03, 02:43 AM
im 23, i recently took the written test to get the permit. Iwould say the reason i dont have the dl is because i live in nyc and we have the best public transportation in the u.s. and go anywhere on the train. do not be surprised, a couple of recuits who were about to go to the nypd academy did not have their dl. The nypd paid for them to take the road test to get hired. I myself plan on taking the road test since i got my permit. I already found out from a recruiter of the Florida highway patrol that i can take the test eventhough i currently dont have a dl

hawkman
08-05-03, 08:44 PM
Wow... I got my permit when I was in 8th grade at age 14. Restricted when I turned 15 for work/school... then when I turned 16 the restricted automatically turned into a regular DL.... I got my CDL when I was 21... I'm 22 now.

But I live in Kansas were the pastures are plentyful, and public transpertation is almost non exsistant. I live out in the county with a corn field in my back yard, and a half-*** ranch across the street, so I know a bus isn't going to drive by the morning... and a cab would cost an arm/leg and your left nut :D