Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : NYPD Work Hours Question

maz
03-17-06, 02:06 PM
Hey all, Took the test in Albany recently, think I did pretty well. Was just wondering that if all goes well and I do get hired what hours I should expect being brand new for NYPD. I know they work 8 hour shifts just wasn't sure about the hours and days off. I know some departments that work 8 hour schedule have set days off or rotating days off. Was just wondering how NYPD works it. Thanks in advance everyone

phantasm
03-17-06, 02:18 PM
Could be anything.

1000-0200
1800-0200
flip flops with the above

1200-2000
2000-0400
flip flop with the above

could be in a chart (rotating days off), could be steady days off (s/m, m/t).

They could throw you right into a regular squad doing day tours, midnights, or 4x12s (unlikely).

borne_identity
03-17-06, 03:08 PM
what about weekends off?
is that not until you have alot of time on?

Bearcat06
03-17-06, 03:30 PM
what about weekends off?

Yeah.....all rookies get weekends and holidays off while senior officer's fill those shifts.... :rolleyes:

maz
03-17-06, 04:58 PM
yeah that would be nice lol but i know that isn't true. Was just wondering what hours I may expect

Joeyd6
03-17-06, 09:30 PM
As a rookie you will work 8 hours and 35 minutes per day. That is what all NYPD police officers work.

Yoru schedule will be 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on, 3 days off. (repeat) OR you will work 5 days with the same steady two days off (like every Sun/Mon off).

If you work the 5 days on, 2 steady off, every month you will get 1 extra day off added to you time bank, and 2 days every other month. These are called chart days.

Regular shifts are: 0705x1540, 1500x2335, and midnights are around 2300x0735.

Other shifts are often made for rooks called Impact Posts and range from 1000x1835 to 1800x0235 to 1200x2035 or 2000x0435.

As a rookie you have NO say in what rotation you work for days off or what shift you work. The department decides and that is it. And no....don't plan on weekends off for a long time. And you might as well plan the following days as never having off for your career:
December 31
The Puerto Rican Day Parade (summer)
The Day of the West Indies Parade (labor day weekend) <---PURE HELL!!!

maz
03-18-06, 07:19 AM
Joeyd Thanks so much for the reply, VERY HELPFUL!!! I understand what you say about the no weekends off. Correct me if I am wrong but if for example I am put on the 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off schedule wont I get a weekend off at least every once in awhile? (like when the 2 days off or 3 days off happens to fall on a weekend day?) I am not *****ing by no means, I understand as a rookie I work the less desireable shifts, it is only fair. But to me if I get put on the 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off schedule then it would rotate so atleast every once in a blue moon I get a weekend off, that schedule isn't too bad. I know what you are saying though that I am stuck with what I am told, I am fine with that. Hey sorry to keep asking questions but you explained about what hours each shift works, is it unlikely I will get a day shift? Hopefully that doesn't come out as a stupid rookie question. Just didn't know if say 1/3 of rookies go to days, 1/3 to afternoons and 1/3 to midnights. Or do they mainly go to afternoon and midnights? I know there are always exceptions to rules but just asking what I should most likely expect. Thanks again joeyd

phantasm
03-18-06, 10:59 AM
yes, if you're in a scooter chart (5,2,5,3) you will get weekends off on avg every 3 months, except for the summer months where you will sometimes be ordered in on 1 or more of your RDOs.

and joey, midnights are 2315x0750. :) THe other 2 tours you hit dead on though.

Joeyd6
03-18-06, 09:52 PM
yes, if you're in a scooter chart (5,2,5,3) you will get weekends off on avg every 3 months, except for the summer months where you will sometimes be ordered in on 1 or more of your RDOs.

and joey, midnights are 2315x0750. :) THe other 2 tours you hit dead on though.
LMAO!

Thanks! I appreciate the correct info! As you can easily figure out...there was one tour that I never worked!!!

phantasm
03-19-06, 09:00 AM
But midnights are the greatest tour. :) No traffic either way, and the tour changes for details are usually no parkers.

elendur
03-20-06, 02:43 PM
I plan on putting down Brooklyn North/South for my patrol borough picks, what's the chances of getting assigned to either? I know it's completely up to the department, but are those easier areas to get assigned to (does living in Brooklyn factor in at all either)?

Also, I've read on these boards that rookies are typically assigned to foot posts. Which patrol boroughs have more (Staten Island is very spread out, so would you most likely be in an RMP when you go)? How long can you expect to stay at a foot post and what's the typical size of your beat?

BugJuice
03-21-06, 12:12 AM
I plan on putting down Brooklyn North/South for my patrol borough picks, what's the chances of getting assigned to either? I know it's completely up to the department, but are those easier areas to get assigned to (does living in Brooklyn factor in at all either)?

Also, I've read on these boards that rookies are typically assigned to foot posts. Which patrol boroughs have more (Staten Island is very spread out, so would you most likely be in an RMP when you go)? How long can you expect to stay at a foot post and what's the typical size of your beat?

Where you live seems to have somewhat of a factor on where you get assigned. From my class, it seemed that those that got assigned Brooklyn either lived in Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island.

As for footposts, its usually 6 months, usually shorter if youre in FTU instead of Impact. On foot you cover about 3, 4 blocks, sometimes more. Don't know how housing works though.

nyco2929
03-21-06, 04:03 AM
Housing impact posts are typically 6 to 7 months, you will be assigned to several buildings in a development in which you will do verticles, general enforcement and respond to jobs. After impact is finished several things may happen to you, but a lot of housing (especially in the busy PSA's still involves a large amount of footposts). The plus side to housing vs patrol is when it is freezing out you just keep on doing your thing (verticles - a lot of them) it keeps you out of the elements and you are doing your job.

borne_identity
03-21-06, 11:36 AM
where do "most" guys from suffolk and nassau county get placed, im guessing most request some place in queens but not sure if thats what u really get

elendur
03-21-06, 04:56 PM
Thanks for answers, I have one question though about housing. What's a vertical?

Also, how large an area does the average sector car cover and how long did it take you to memorize your area?

jemixxnyc
03-21-06, 09:11 PM
Well I don't know for sure but a good guess tells me probably just patrolling each floor, looking for trouble.

willcmb
03-21-06, 11:06 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I didnt want to create a new topic for another NYPD related question. Does anybody know what the new off duty sig model is? Will I have problems if I bought my firearms in Florida and bring them back? Is the trigger pull the same for all guns or is that NY trigger specific to the glocks only? Thanks in advance!

elendur
03-21-06, 11:57 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I didnt want to create a new topic for another NYPD related question. Does anybody know what the new off duty sig model is? Will I have problems if I bought my firearms in Florida and bring them back? Is the trigger pull the same for all guns or is that NY trigger specific to the glocks only? Thanks in advance!
This is from one of Joeyd6's posts that should answer your question:

Also, as a canidate, the whole gun thing makes your BI longer, and could hold you up from getting hired quickly. The BI has to get your paperwork from HQ (whihc takes time), then review it (takes time) and then compare it to what you wrote on your info for them (time). You then also have to leave the gun at a precicnt while you are in the academy and it is a royal pain fro you to go drop it off, get a reciept, take that to your BI who has to call and verify it. Then when the academy is over, you have to take that reciept to Queens to the property clerk to get your gun back. Plan on that taking 3 hours of yoru life sitting in a folding chair while they "look for it."

It also becomes an issue with your psych exam, such as "Why did you buy a gun just before the academy?" Sounds innocent but if you have ever had a psych exam, this is a question that can quickly turn into a road of nails!

Don't waste your time or money right now!

So in short, you're better off waiting until after you're out of the academy to avoid complications with your application process and the hassle of checking the gun in and out.

Joeyd6
03-22-06, 04:42 PM
NYPD has a strict written policy on firearms. This is what it is:

a) An applicat must list all owned firearms during the application process.

b) If "called" for July 1 or January 1 class, as a recruit, you are required to have NY City resideny before the first day of the academy, by having a a NY address and NY license. As a NY State resident, and a NYPD recruit, you are NOT ALLOWED TO POSESS ANY FIREARM (handgun or long gun) while in the academy. And that means none at home in the closet, or "my father is holding it in Georgia." You have two choices what to do with your guns:
1) Sell them, and obtain a bill of sale you must show your background investigator. OR
2) Turn all waepons into your local police department for vouchering (holding) until you are out of the academy.

c) Once out of the academy, you have to follow certain rules:
1) Your shield and credentials act as a NY State Permit. Thus you can own any semiautomatic handgun, revolver or rifle/shotgun. At this point you can buy back your guns from who you sold them to or go to the police department and get back the vouchered guns.
2) Any gun you own, must be brought to the precinct, and a "Firearms Acquisition" form will be filed with the department and NY State Police. The department then keeps track of the weapons you own, along with the NY State Police. When you sell it or lose it or anything happens, you have to bring in a boll of sale or a copy of a police report so that it can be tracked. That way if Joe Schmoe ends up with it...they can track it.
3) You CAN NOT OWN any item that requires a "special" permit or license from the ATF UNLESS YOU HAVE PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE POLICE COMISSIONER AND HAVE THE PROPER ATF LICENSES. Good luck on that!
4) You can not have any guns that are banned in NY State just becasue you are "law enforcement." Certain weapons are banned, like machine guns. Check online to see what is considered such as the list is long. If you gun is one of these items, you are not allowed to have it as a personal gun, even as a cop. The NYPD supplies all weaponary so you have no need or chance to use it on-duty. Thus it can only be considered "personal" and you can't have it.

My advice? Guns slow down the hiring process. You have to list them, the BI has to track each one and verify that each was purchased legally and the ATF has the records (which takes time for the ATF to respond). Then, the BI has to let PSYCH Services know. So when you go for your psych, you get a special question section on guns and violenece and the like from a liberal gun hating psychologist. Trust me....there are right and wrong answers and often, most find themselves on the worng side after. Then, after that, you have to go through selling them or having them secured at a NY precinct and that itself takes time. Then you have to get proff of the sale to vouchering to teh BI and all has to be done in advance of 3 weeks of the academy so your file can be cleared, reviewed and called for hiring.

I say sell them all now to somebody you know who can have them legally and get a typed bill of sale with serial numbers. Then after the academy, "buy back" the legal ones and have them properly shipped to you following all laws and rules. .

O'Gee
03-22-06, 08:05 PM
As Far as shifts go what are the odds of just fixed days off no matter what shift and if not possible how hard is it to switch shifts with another officer. Is that even allowed?

O'Gee
03-23-06, 05:33 PM
Also, while in the academy is it Mon-Fri or do academy schedules run 7 days a week?

phantasm
03-23-06, 06:53 PM
steady days off, maybe, maybe not, needs of the department.
Switching shifts, again needs of the department, and seniority basis. If they need people on midnights, you go to midnights. If you want to move to 4x12s, you can let the admin lt know, and then maybe, when the command gets more bodies, or someone wants to move from 4x12s to midnights, then the change can happen.

As for the academy. For the past few years it has been m-f, BUT that doesn't mean they won't do a 5/2/5/3 chart. They've done that before too. I think the first class after 9/11 was like that.

O'Gee
03-24-06, 02:56 AM
Thanks Phantasm....When they do run the academy M-F what are the hours?

nyco2929
03-24-06, 04:09 AM
my academy m-f 2 shifts, morning and night, morn shift begins at 0707, night at around 1530.

phantasm
03-24-06, 07:51 AM
and you may or may not flip flop tours from week to week.