Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : When frisk searching a Female

TheAdmiral0203
03-01-06, 07:42 PM
When frisk searching a female, even if she does not request it, are there laws that say only a female police officer can do it? Or do male police officers usually request a female officer do the search just to be on the safe side?

InTheEnd
03-01-06, 07:48 PM
On the street a male officer can search a female if necessary. If a female officer is nearby they'll be asked to perform the frisk. At the stationhouse female officers search females.

phantasm
03-01-06, 08:06 PM
I've done a quick frisk of a female in the street, but not of any "sensitive" areas, and she received a full search at the station house, but if need be we are allowed to do a full frisk, but try to avoid it if at all possible.

Twelve Volt Man
03-01-06, 08:14 PM
I love it when a mouthy woman informs me, with all of her knowledge of judicial decisions, that I cannot touch her in any way. I then proceed, with a witness, when possible, to frisk her with the back of my hand. More often than not, she fills me in on the ramifications of my actions, and how she'll be suing me and owning everything I have. The bottom line: a cop who will molest a woman during a search, will do so without having to do it during a search.

Bearcat06
03-01-06, 08:20 PM
When I frisk females out in the field, I do it just like anyone else.....in cuffs and in front of my patrol car with the video rolling......

Nole795
03-01-06, 11:14 PM
99% of the women that I have had to frisk...I would not want to touch with a 10 foot pole.

Ironhead
03-01-06, 11:20 PM
99% of the women that I have had to frisk...I would not want to touch with a 10 foot pole.Truer words were never spoken. Not only that - sometimes you will get a call of a drunk (or high) woman that has taken off all her clothing. It never fails that it is not the type of woman that you would ever want to see naked. :eek:

sgtbear111
03-01-06, 11:54 PM
Not searching, or poor search of a female suspect is just plain dangerous. Female career criminals plan for it, and they yell the loudest, until you find the weapons or the dope. Always use handcuffs and a search position per dept policy. If a weapon is suspected or detected, go get it, and worry about the "where" later.

In fewer words: female suspects are as dangerous as male suspects, so they get treated the same. Gender is no excuse to compromise your safety.

1depd
03-02-06, 12:41 AM
When I was in school I heard of a case brought before the USSC where one of the issues was that a female officer was not allowed to perform her job, because of her sex. She had to obtain evidence from a male suspect requiring the exposure of his genitals. There was a second issue that the court ruled on effectively negating the Civil Rights issue.

7mmMag
03-02-06, 01:51 AM
Male officers can search/frisk females. When in the field and I have to do it, its quick, not in the sensitive areas, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS in front of my squad video camera which records the whole thing.

RO56
03-02-06, 08:54 AM
Male officers can search/frisk females. When in the field and I have to do it, its quick, not in the sensitive areas, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS in front of my squad video camera which records the whole thing.What do you mean, "not in the sensitive areas"?

Do you NOT search her chest/breast/bra area? What about her pockets (near the crotch and thigh area)? These are common places to conceal weapons or other contraband - they KNOW this and that's WHERE they put contraband, hoping that you WON'T search there.

Any officer, male or female, who transports a prisoner WITHOUT first performing a thorough search for weapons or contraband - or having that search performed by another officer - is asking for trouble.

Bearcat06 got it right: In cuffs, in the video camera and, if possible, with another officer present. Yes, there are proper ways for a male to conduct the search without "violating" the female.

I will always see if there is a female officer nearby, but in NO event will I ever put ANY (arrested) person in the squad for transport unless I KNOW that person has been THOROUGHLY searched for weapons.

RO56
03-02-06, 08:56 AM
in the video camera = in front of the video camera.

Man, I really wish we could EDIT our posts here .... :mad:

MetPC
03-02-06, 09:07 AM
Oh for the luxury of video:(

Fortunately I've never had to search a female as our shifts are pretty well stocked with female Officers. But the guys are right, if you ARE going to search a female make it a proper search.

RO56
03-02-06, 09:41 AM
But the guys are right, if you ARE going to search a female make it a proper search.The very knife that I carry in my boot (hidden pocket on the side of each boot) came from the back of the cruiser, AFTER we dropped the subject off at the jail. When we left, I heard something sliding back and forth as we turned corners (hard plastic rear seat). When we got back to the station, it turned out to be a small folding pocket knife.

Needless to say, my partner - who was the person that searched the subject after we arrested him - got one HELL of an earful from me concerning THOROUGH SEARCHES of prisoners.

7mmMag
03-02-06, 12:17 PM
The very knife that I carry in my boot (hidden pocket on the side of each boot) came from the back of the cruiser, AFTER we dropped the subject off at the jail. When we left, I heard something sliding back and forth as we turned corners (hard plastic rear seat). When we got back to the station, it turned out to be a small folding pocket knife.

Needless to say, my partner - who was the person that searched the subject after we arrested him - got one HELL of an earful from me concerning THOROUGH SEARCHES of prisoners.

Point well taken RO56. I wish to clarify somewhat, but perhaps not in the public section.

michiganstud
03-02-06, 12:27 PM
The very knife that I carry in my boot (hidden pocket on the side of each boot) came from the back of the cruiser, AFTER we dropped the subject off at the jail. When we left, I heard something sliding back and forth as we turned corners (hard plastic rear seat). When we got back to the station, it turned out to be a small folding pocket knife.

You didn't check the back seat after you pulled him out???? If I have a partner one of us always checks imediately after.

txinvestigator1
03-02-06, 02:08 PM
When frisk searching a female, even if she does not request it, are there laws that say only a female police officer can do it? No

Or do male police officers usually request a female officer do the search just to be on the safe side? Generally

RO56
03-02-06, 03:01 PM
No

GenerallyFor those of you who do not know him, welcome txinvestigator1: our RP man of many words ........... :D